Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moths

Options
  • 17-08-2009 1:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭

Right... my lodger has gone to bed early so he can get up for work tomorrow, and I'm sitting on my own at my PC, minding my own business, quietly (and no, that's not an euphemism).

This isn't a joke. This actually just happened.

Fluttery, flappy noises right above my head, I look up and there's a moth, only about an inch long but fairly fat, driving itself (and me) insane by trying to get closer to the light than the bulb glass will allow, relentless in its pursuit of a fiery death.

After a couple of minutes of this, my irkedness momentarily won control of my body and I gave the moth a swift backhand with the nearest small pile of utility bills, sending it careering into the wall and postponing its mission for a good 5 seconds before it carried on attacking the light, oblivious to the 6-foot monkey wielding a potentially lethal handful of paper that just batted it across the room.

Feeling slightly ashamed that I'd hit it the first time, (right in front of my new Madagascan Dragon Plant too... what must it think of me?!), I justified my actions to myself, actually saying out loud "I'm saving you from a fruitless few hours of pain" as I batted it across the room a second time, slightly harder this time. Death from a lightbulb, potential death from concussion... at least my way would be humane.

But no, alive and unperturbed, once again it returned to its deathquest.

Feeling truly ashamed that I'd lashed out at the poor defenceless creature not once but twice, I decided that I should save it instead... catch it in a glass with the aforementioned envelopes and bills underneath and release it into the wild.

Easier said than done. Have you ever tried chasing a moth around with a small soft-drink glass and some paper while it's flying orbits around the light in ever more agitated circles? It's actually quite a lot more difficult than catching spiders. That third dimension is a ****er!

So... while swinging glass and paper around frantically trying to guide this moth (that I'd already batted twice with the same wad of paper) safely into the glass. Well, needless to say, it didn't want to willingly participate in my Forced-Interruption-Of-Its-Life-Mission-And-Consequent-Relocation-Into-A-Small-Glass-Container program, and in the process of me flailing around, the moth managed to fly between a couple of the utility bills in my hand, surely crushing its poor wings beyond repair? Has my rescue operation been in vain?

Repulsed by the realisation that my attempt to save it may have contributed to its death, I hastily dropped the pile of bills on the table in front of me, and stepped back.

But there again... the flapping... it's ALIVE!

...and as I watched, it fluttered, stunned, sideways across the table, and dropped off the edge, right into a carrier bag I've been using as a bin next to my computer, primarily used for chocolate wrappers, junk mail, empty cans and whatever other non-mould-prone computer-room waste that accumulates around me.

[Sigh.]

"Ah well, I tried. You're obviously too stupid to deserve to be alive." I muttered, as I sat back in my computer chair.

30 seconds later.

Flutter-flap-rustle-flap-rustle-flutter-rustle.

The ****ing thing is stuck in the carrier bag, and is now flapping for its life, trying to escape the polythene doom.

After about three minutes listening to this, I pick up the bag, move to the centre of the room, prepare the glass and one stiff piece of thin card ready for the rescue, and carefully, piece by piece, start to remove the trash from the carrier bag in such a way that wouldn't harm the creature any further.

With most of the bag now empty, I can see my prize... there is the moth, looking weary but intact as far as I'm able to tell.

I carefully place the glass over the moth, slide the card in, and success, I have captured the moth, along with part of the end of a Penguin wrapper and a couple of crisps.

So, I walk to the front door switch on the lobby light, quietly open the door (bearing in mind my sleeping lodger) and release the moth out into the world...

...and it flies... it is free... I can finally get back to my computer...

...and just as I'm returning to the house, I see another moth, twice the size of the one I'm releasing, flying over my shoulder and into the house.

So, I quietly close the door, and this time I'm prepared. Glass and card in hand, the big bastard just lands on the wall, making its capture much easier than that of its predecessor.

I again open the door, take a few steps outside and release... and it flies.... right over my head and back towards the ****ing house....

"no, no you ****ing don't..."

So I'm running now... still with glass and card in hand... back into the house and SLAM the door shut to keep it out, and the bastard thing slides through the gap with about an inch to spare like Indiana ****ing Jones.

My head in my hands at this point... realising I've just SLAMMED the front door shut so loudly that anyone within ten houses either side of mine must've heard it, let alone my lodger, and I've still got a moth in my house, twice the size of the original one, and it's now on the wall halfway up the stairs to my lodger's room.

Thankfully, it offered no resistance again, and I managed to get it back into the glass without making any more noise, went back to the front door, TURNED OFF THE LOBBY LIGHT, opened the door and released it....

...and this time I managed to get back into the house quietly without letting any more moths back in.

Sometimes I really wish I didn't have a conscience.

What a ****ing palava.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

fvck.. do i have to read it all?

damn it

edit:

Ok.. What is with all the fapping ?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,025 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

you cant honestly expect us to read all that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Right... my lodger has gone to bed early so he can get up for work tomorrow, and I'm sitting on my own at my PC, minding my own business, quietly (and no, that's not an euphemism).

This isn't a joke. This actually just happened.

Fluttery, flappy noises right above my head

It was the lodger, in the box-room with the Vaseline!!

/checks envelope

Fux :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭MultiUmm

Geez that was long. I got the general gist of it. There was a moth pissing you off, you tried killing him, he didn't, you tried again, he died? Sorry, I only read down to the 2nd paragraph. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

[Sigh.]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

It was the butler in the drawing room wasn't it?

Mrmoe wrote: »
    no,

twas IRISHSPORTSGUY in the kitchen withe the glass and the pile of paper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭K-Ren

That was a pretty good read. I'll never look at moths the same way again.

With the carrier bag? its what I thought first. It was the PE teacher with a glass jar in the conservatory :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Summary;
    OP battles a moth, but he hasn't enough power to kill it after hitting it twice, then the father of the moth arrives and thinks he's Indiana Jones :confused:. Both moths attack and kill the OP's cat in retaliation for the previous attacks.

I may have trailed off at the end

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Abigayle wrote: »
    It was the lodger, in the box-room with the Vaseline!!

/checks envelope

Fux :mad:
    dannym08 wrote: »
    no,

twas IRISHSPORTSGUY in the kitchen withe the glass and the pile of paper

It was me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭SoWatchaWant

I read it all...

I am dissappoint.:(

EDIT: What the **** are you anyway, a vegetarian?

Senna wrote: »
    Summary;
    OP battles a moth, but he hasn't enough power to kill it after hitting it twice, then the father of the moth arrives and thinks he's Indiana Jones :confused:. Both moths attack and kill the OP's cat in retaliation for the previous attacks.

I may have trailed off at the end
    :pac:
    for some reason i have visions of the 2 moths having a sword fight with the OP's cat:D.

I think its time i went to bed

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

So basically there's a moth and you didn't kill it.

And it took that much writing?! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭IRISH DAYWALKER

what a stupid story, why did you even waste your time???........WOW

• Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

WHAT IS UP WITH ALL THE CAPSLOCK USERNAMES?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭IRISH DAYWALKER

WE LIKE TO STAND OUT FROM THE CROWD

is a penis size thing

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

bronte wrote: »
    WHAT IS UP WITH ALL THE CAPSLOCK USERNAMES?

what is up with the lower-case username, bronte?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

And not a TL:DR amongst ye!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

It's 2am, I'm tired, it's too hard to read and I suspect the punchline isn't worth it. No offence OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Confab wrote: »
    It's 2am, I'm tired, it's too hard to read and I suspect the punchline isn't worth it. No offence OP.

There isn't one

Anyway on the subject of hard to kill moths - I once shot a moth with a pellet gun, twice, before having to kill it by squishing it with a stick. I'd shot him under the logic that a pellet will do enough damage to a moth to kill it pretty much instantly. Turns out that wasn't the case. The thing managed to fly away, leaving some of its guts on the wall. Made me feel both guilty and determined to finish the job then though. Obviously a badass moth, so probably should have let it live, but 'in for a penny, in for a pound'.

Never liked moths. Or butterflies actually, they're just moths with the smarts to not fly into the sun during the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Confab wrote: »

2 moths flew into his house. They annoyed him.

bleg wrote: »
    2 moths flew into his house. They annoyed him.

and he wasn't man enough to kill them. thats it in a nutshell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Stones85

Just empty a tin or fly spay on the fcker

There isn't one

Anyway on the subject of hard to kill moths - I once shot a moth with a pellet gun, twice, before having to kill it by squishing it with a stick. I'd shot him under the logic that a pellet will do enough damage to a moth to kill it pretty much instantly. Turns out that wasn't the case. The thing managed to fly away, leaving some of its guts on the wall. Made me feel both guilty and determined to finish the job then though. Obviously a badass moth, so probably should have let it live, but 'in for a penny, in for a pound'.

Never liked moths. Or butterflies actually, they're just moths with the smarts to not fly into the sun during the day.

Did you put the body in the bin?:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Did you put the body in the bin?:pac:

:P

• Advertisement

Stones85 wrote: »
    Just empty a tin or fly spay on the fcker
    Use your grey matter! Why poison yourself with this sh1t when you could fill any plastic trigger spray with water, and take it down this way?!

Even if you use an insect spray on a fly (never mind a moth), its going to drop inside the house and you will still have to pick it up / hoover it up. The mind fcuking boggles.. :/

Advertisement