Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm Repeating Qs/Subjects/etc Merge

Options
  • 16-08-2009 12:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭

Repeating...explained 2 posts down :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

My school had a minimum of 7 subjects. So no, it's not crazy. It's probably the most common with most schools tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Col Man

Sorry, you're asking how many you should pick up along with your core (English; Irish; Maths; European Language)? Do you do all four higher?

If this is the case, I'd strongly recommend you take the 3. 7 subjects won't be the end of the world. The problem with 6 is your lack of options. If you have 7, and one of the cores starts causing you awful problems, or a choice subject is just horrible, you can drop it (drop to ordinary or drop the choice subject altogether). But also then one exam might not go as well as planned in the leaving, or the one you weren't going to pick up turned out to go really well, and you could do a lot better. You'll be fine with 7. A few people in my year did 8 higher subjects plus an ordinary (irish, lol...).

Oh and a lot of people in my year did 8 subjects altogether (albeit with a few ordinary in a lot of cases), with most doing 7. It's usually pretty reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

Ok I'm gonna explain my situation:pac: I did the leaving this year and I'm repeating in the institute. I'm gonna do maths, irish and french by myself, with minimum effort, just aiming to pass each. So I'll have a year to get through the new subjects I take up and thus, would 3 new subjects be too much to cover in a year, with my other 4 honours to consider:)

Ah ok. I'd still go with the 7 then. I'm guessing you won't really have to do anything much to pass Irish Maths and French. And you've already had the two years to work at the other 4? It should be fine. Sure a guy in my year took up business less than two months before the leaving cert and got an A2. But obviously there'll be stories proving all sorts of points of view. Hmm, I know there's a price issue with the institute, but still, I'd recommend the 7. Once again, you can drop one, or just have a back-up in the leaving cert. And if you don't have to work at the 3 ordinary ones, you're basically only studying 7, which should be manageable. What subject are you unsure about doing?

Col Man wrote: »
    Ah ok. I'd still go with the 7 then. I'm guessing you won't really have to do anything much to pass Irish Maths and French. And you've already had the two years to work at the other 4? It should be fine. Sure a guy in my year took up business less than two months before the leaving cert and got an A2. But obviously there'll be stories proving all sorts of points of view. Hmm, I know there's a price issue with the institute, but still, I'd recommend the 7. Once again, you can drop one, or just have a back-up in the leaving cert. And if you don't have to work at the 3 ordinary ones, you're basically only studying 7, which should be manageable. What subject are you unsure about doing?

Indeed I got Bs and a C(which should have been a B, swear:)) in my 4 honours. And yes, I'll just put maths, french and irish to the side really. So I'll be picking up Geog and Ag Science methinks, unsure of the 3rd:confused: I've been recommended business and economics so far. I doubt I answered your question :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Both good choices from what I hear. Sure you can always drop it after a few weeks if it doesn't suit your fancy. Hmm I'd consider accounting too, from what I've heard. Also has a high enough A1 rate. More than business and Eco added together (% wise...). Although (unless you already do it) since you're doing ag. science, biology wouldn't be a horrible choice. The amount of learning required is actually overrated. You get absolutely tons of choice in the exam, and the questions usually don't go into that much detail. Chemistry is another subject I'd recommend. But yeah, I'd probably tell most people in your situation to do the 7.

I already did chemistry and bioligy, history too!:p Hmmm accounting you say. I never came accross someone who did it, or even knew anyone who did it:rolleyes:

I don't know too much about it myself, but I will say that it's a subject that people who do well in other subjects do well in (if that makes sense). That's if the people I know doing it are anything to go by....

Some subjects obviously have inflated A1 and A2 rates. Ignoring the extreme cases like Russian for obvious reasons, you can look at applied maths, and see that it has basically the highest A1 rate of any "normal" subject in the whole leaving cert. This is obviously due to people who are good at maths and such sign up for it. But I don't exactly see the people who sign up for accounting being all that much better suited to it than the people who sign up for business, or even more relevantly economics (more relevant as they have similar numbers taking the subjects). And yet accounting has like 20% of people getting As to about 11% for business and 12% for economics. Obviously though, each to their own, maybe accounting just isn't for you. But I'd definitely say do a 7th.

I'll most likely be taking a 7th and I'll ponder over the next few weeks as to which subject will gain that honour:p Thanks a lot Col Man for your advice.

No prob mate, good luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I agree with Col Man whole heartidly here. Except for one thing.

I really think there are some subjects that will be an easier B than accounting or Chemistry, but a harder A. I realise what I just said may not make a whole heap of sense. Let me elaborate.

Subjects like Economics, Classical Studies and Religion are all similar to History (which you have already taken), they all have massively low A1 rates compared to Accounting, Chemistry, Physics or Applied Maths, however in my view may be quite easy to get a B in if your not good with numbers.

The statistics don't agree with this point. Its quite subjective on my part, but if your already taking history, and your not aiming for 6 A1s you might consider them too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭kevogy

if i repeat which is quite lighty, i need to decide which subjects to keep on,

i did 7 for the leaving Irish, Math, Eng, Fre, Phy, Tg and Ag Sci

definatly dropping tg and english

possibly might pick up construction and home ec, are these subjects easy?

any other ideas?

Bioligy should really be considered, easy enough and you can leave out a whole heap of stuff. I'm repeating too and I'm pciking up Geography, Business and Ag Science:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Don't you have to do a project and practical for Home Ec?
    Other than that it's a mix of biology/social/welfare type stuff that can be learnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Home Ec is really not meant to be easy, from what I have heard it is a lot of effort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭RandomIrl

Fad wrote: »
    Home Ec is really not meant to be easy, from what I have heard it is a lot of effort.

people see it as easy and pick it...
    let me just say its not and dont be fooled by people who see it as an easy subject..
    two girls dropped it because they found it as a bit of a shock to the system
    constant work is required to keep on top of it all..its a very broad broad subject....
    i worked very hard at home ec and was thrilled ,delighted and stunned to see A1 beside it on wednesday

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭GVNDNN

Is there any subject that could be possible to take up in a year, i want to drop economics

Anybody able to suggest any subject instead of Economics

I already do Geography and Biology

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Finical

If you're repeating do you have to take English,Irish,and maths?

I'm going to stick with Business Economics and English if I have to, all higher and drop accountancy since I failed it.

Anyone recommend a solid subject to pick up in a year?

I'm completely clueless about this ^^

Finical wrote: »
    If you're repeating do you have to take English,Irish,and maths?

I'm going to stick with Business Economics and English if I have to, all higher and drop accountancy since I failed it.

Anyone recommend a solid subject to pick up in a year?

I'm completely clueless about this ^^

You can drop the core subjects as long as your not doing medicine:)

Ag Science maybe? Is accountancy hard or did you just not put alot of effort in as I'm considering picking it up:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

theowen wrote: »
    You can drop the core subjects as long as your not doing medicine:)

Ag Science maybe? Is accountancy hard or did you just not put alot of effort in as I'm considering picking it up:rolleyes:
    I was so bad at accountancy I got grinds in it for a few weeks too! I was pathetic at it. I wouldn't be the one to ask I was that bad lol

My school doesn't do Ag Science :(

I'd consider Business if I were you think its handy enough, it just has a lot of information. All self explanatory though.

I was so bad at accountancy I got grinds in it for a few weeks too! I was pathetic at it. I wouldn't be the one to ask I was that bad lol

My school doesn't do Ag Science :(

I'd consider Business if I were you think its handy enough, it just has a lot of information. All self explanatory though.

I'm most probarly picking up business, heard good things about it:D Can you give me your take on economics? Do-able in a year?
    Bioligy's pretty easy and short, definitly give it a look in if I was you;)

I'm most probarly picking up business, heard good things about it:D Can you give me your take on economics? Do-able in a year?
    Bioligy's pretty easy and short, definitly give it a look in if I was you;)
    Yeah man Eco isn't too bad either. Defo take that into consideration!

I was wondering I got a B2 in maths for which the course I wanted needed, I just didn't get the points. Could I take that result from this year and use it for next year?

Yeah man Eco isn't too bad either. Defo take that into consideration!

I was wondering I got a B2 in maths for which the course I wanted needed, I just didn't get the points. Could I take that result from this year and use it for next year?

You can take the grade yessum, not the points if that't what you ment?

You can take the grade yessum, not the points if that't what you ment?
    Oh right cheers, so it would still mean I would need to do 6 subjects?

Could I do six different subjects and count all the points this year, but if maths is a B2 for the course I need, would that mean I could only count 5 of the subjects I do with maths from last year although I wouldn't gain any points from it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭DyldeBrill

well theowen looks like I'll be repeating in the intitute so might see you there

Oh right cheers, so it would still mean I would need to do 6 subjects?

Could I do six different subjects and count all the points this year, but if maths is a B2 for the course I need, would that mean I could only count 5 of the subjects I do with maths from last year although I wouldn't gain any points from it?
    That's not making a whole lot of sense to me, must be hungry or something but... you can take as many new subjects as you want yes? But pciking up 6 new ones would be crazy really:confused:

NBB Bohs wrote: »
    Business without a doubt man. u repeating yeah? in marian the school im repeating in, the teacher goes over the course from scratch in 6th year.

Where's Marian? :D
    Dublin? right it takes about 40 minutes for me to get to town and then how long from town to where it is?
    What other subjects have decent teachers there?
    Is there a uniform and everything?

DyldeBrill wrote: »
    well theowen looks like I'll be repeating in the intitute so might see you there

Wooo:)Do you fit into the scumbag or posh catogory of peps, seems to be all there is there:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

That's not making a whole lot of sense to me, must be hungry or something but... you can take as many new subjects as you want yes? But pciking up 6 new ones would be crazy really:confused:
    Oh yeah I know sorry it's hard to explain lol

I would be doing some subjects I done last year but, just say I done six subjects this year and want the maths from last year to count for the course can I use all them six subjects points or would I have to take one subject out to incluce last years maths but it would count for zero points?

Sorry If im still unclear.

Advertisement