Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Night Photowalk | Tues Aug 25th 8pm

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

Yup, all the info you need is up here Paul.

Looking forward to some shooting tonight! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

If anyone coming tonight is going to be or wants to shoot film. PM me I can bring plenty of the 200ISO fuji (rebranded to Unicare) for anyone who wants it.
    If you just want some but are not planning on using tonight, that is OK too.

edit: film expired last month

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

I'm guessing the photo walk as the huge bunch of people that came through Portobello harbour with all the skaters and bike riders??

I know its a public space and all but you guys were standing in everyones way who were trying to ride and do what they do.
    At one point someone was lying under one of the blocks/benches almost hiding waiting for someone to jump over him to get a shot, I only noticed at the last minute when I saw a lens bobbing up over the top of a ledge I was about to jump onto....seriously....not smart guys...firing flashes atsomeone jumping off something and lying underneath them, come on....common sense!?
    It was pretty dangerous to be lying where people are more than likely going to land on top of you if something goes wrong, which is also more likely to happen when somene is being put of fwhat they are doing by a barrage of flashes from all direction and weaving through a crowd of onlookers with cameras.

It was disrespectful of peoples space, the equivelant is running onto a football pitch when people are playing a game and getting in their way. Or us as bike riders making sue we get in every shot you are taking and ruining the composition. You guys don't get in each others shots so show the same respect for people doing other activities.

As I said, I know its a public space and anyone can be there but there is common sense and within the skate and BMX community there is a sort of unwritten code of etiquette that we make space for each other.

It got to the point this evening that several people just left to go ride elsewhere because the place was so overun and becoming dangerous to the point that somene was going to get hurt. If that did happen, I wonder who'd get the blame for it?

Nobody has a problem with people taking photos and I was asked by several people if I would do something for a photo and I refused because it was like waving a red rag at a bull. I could see the whole group eagerly waiting for the go ahead to crowd around and start shooting.

I've been shooting photos as long as I've been riding bikes, and riding bikes is what got me into taking photos and as a photogrpaher I thought it was inherent to have some sort of respect for what you are shooting. Tonight was more like a melee of people with cameras :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Wow seriously? Did this actually happen? If this happened down here at our park or spots we skate id tell ye all to stop and move back.. seriously.. WTF?

What happens if we fall on you and break your camera or flash or even worse hurt you? You cant be lying underneath ledges like that its like begging for something to go wrong.

Bad form guys bad form.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Wow. Glad I missed this so. Sounds like a mess.

• Advertisement

Hey guys,
    Good turn out and a great night had out by all.

Pete, sorry to hear about what happened. What you're saying is complete common sense and it's a pity some people got in your way. I wasn't over near you guys so I don't know exactly what happened. Did you or any of the other bikers tell them to stop/move further back?

I'm not here to make excuses for people on the walk but I'd say most of the people in your way didn't know they where in the wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

KJT,

Thats the thing, most people didn't realise and its easier to just move on somewhere else for oursleves than try to ask people to move. Like I said it is a public space and we respect that too as realistically we shouldn't be riding our bikes on public property. It's hard to tell 30+ people to move back, I'd end up feeling like an a$$hole for doing that.

I can see how people would get excited at something new and different to shoot like street sports and not have any idea they were posing a risk to themselves or anybody else.

I'm not having a go at anyone for organising photowalks or mini meets. Tonight was like a scene from Escape From New York....photogs seemed to be popping out of sewers and behind trees all of a sudden.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭silverside

I've nothing to add to kjt and pete4130's comments on Portobello.

Thanks kjt for organising the walk, I enjoyed the chance to meet lots of new people as well as some I recognised from the previous night walk.

We were lucky to see a barge going through the locks, I also saw some people practicing rollerblading on Stephen's Green on my way home... reminds me what a cool place Dublin can be.

Here are my favourite shots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭eightcell

I was taking a picture of a tree, the lighting was perfect, composition was spot on etc etc when these guys on skateboards kept getting in the way and ruining my shot... :D

On a more serious note thanks for arranging another photowalk Kyle, I am hoping there will be another one in the near future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭trooney

Well, I enjoyed m'self and didn't notice the bmx'ers/skateboarders until I was leaving portobello bridge and wouldn't have the slightest interest in what they were doing. Smiling at the irony of the whole thing TBH.

Here's a few of mine from the walk

• Advertisement

Jeez, photo's done already? I haven't even looked at my camera :-/. I think I took 5shots last night and the rest was just talking to folk.

Really enjoyed it and thanks to everybody that came out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

If anyone is interested mine from the walk are here.:eek:
    Had fun and am happy to have met so many people from boards.:)
    Nice to have a picture to put to a name.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Buzz Lightyear

One from a good night out with kyle. Cheers man.

FB664A1AC6BE4786A942A0D3546DE6BF-500.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 cleeek

One from a good night out with kyle. Cheers man.

Hi all,

Thanks for a good night on Tuesday. Good fun, "safety in numbers and all that".

I do apologise to the skaters for the influx of clickers. I may have contributed to the focus (pardon the pun) on those guys. Next time, just tell us to f&^$ off, politely.

Nice to meet BuzzLightYear, and [can't remember your name, sorry] the guy in the black leather jacket with the tilt-shift lense taking the photos at Harcourt Street.

I've gotten through a few photos so far, heres the first two:

3860819327_1ff564a464.jpg

3857836913_6b9feb2334.jpg

Buzz: the shot of the three "lovers" on the bench turned out nicely, you'll have to let our new friend know where she can find it.

bernard/cleek

cleeek wrote: »
    Buzz: the shot of the three "lovers" on the bench turned out nicely, you'll have to let our new friend know where she can find it.

Cheers bernard...... I thought she gave you her mobile number :D
    I have to say she made a lovley date ...... or is that a different fruit :D

Philip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 cleeek

Cheers bernard...... I thought she gave you her mobile number :D
    I have to say she made a lovley date ...... or is that a different fruit :D
    Philip

Well, she did say alot of things, so maybe I missed it :)

Oh, em, I don't think I am a, big enough man to handle a lady of her, em, calibre.

cleeek wrote: »
    Oh, em, I don't think I am a, big enough man to handle a lady of her, em, calibre.

mmmm I suppose it would be a tight squeeze :D

Woohoo, 5am!!
    Photos printed for this weekends exhibition, blog updated.

Some great shots guys, thanks for coming along!

Dublin Photo walk #2

One more from the photowalk

B428D4A09A5C43CC9BDA0AB08447321A-500.jpg

Advertisement