Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Institute of Education

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 JM434

theowen wrote: »
    Thanks guys, about History, I had Sean Delap for an Easter course, does he not work there full time? I don't really mind actually, considering the reccomendations for Susan Chasell:)

Beginning to reconsider geography from the above:confused: I'll need a pretty top notch teacher if I'm to get through the course in a year, no?

Suan Cashell's hours are easier to fit into your schedule. She is a very dedicated teacher also.

As for geography, I disagree with what people are saying about Jim Carberry. His classes may be a bit boring but he was an excellent teacher. His notes are vey well organised and all geared towards answering exam questions. Geography isn't a very hard subject. Cramming info more than understanding it is the name of the game and points aren't hard to come by.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

unwyse wrote: »
    Hers the proof that the irish education system is **cked, no money no results:mad::mad::mad: and thats a fact as someone famous once said.its a lickle bit like the healthcare system.

Complete bóllocks, if you're motivated, anyone can do well.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭leesmom

english: cathy sweeney for paper 1(composing) and comparative
    Paul McCormack or Cian Hogan for king lear.
    for poetry im not so sure, cian hogan,paul mc cormack or denis craevan

Irish: clare greally is the best of a bad lot i suppose, i did pass irish though and she HATES her pass students, thinks we were only in pass because we were lazy:rolleyes: as she repeatedly told us

Maths: higher level, Aidan rowantree(sp?) pass maths ,jean kelly

Biology: Mona Murray, shes such a nice lady, gives a good amount of homework,purely past exam questions ,so by the time you do the leaving theres no question you wont be able to answer if youve done your work or unless they put crappy diagrams on the exam again!

Geography: i suppose jim carberry, will tell you after i view my script, pretty much learned the answers off by heart from his notes ,so will see. and as regards him predicting the paper? Isostasy anyone? it wont come up!!ha!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

What did you end up getting in Geog in the end then?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

Practical question, do classes start at 9 with lunch at 12ish and so on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

No, you set your own timetable.

Friend of mine didnt have a lunch time at all on Mondays for example.

You can also do 8am classes.

Classes are a hour long each. Earliest class us 8.30 AFAIK while 9.30 is the standard time which classes start, study halls open as soon as the school doors open.

You decide when your own lunch is. Classes end offically at 3.30 but again you can have subjects that go on past that, study finishing up around 8 or 9 i think with one break period though that period changed twice in the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭leesmom

Stev_o wrote: »
    What did you end up getting in Geog in the end then?
    got a B1, thought i deserved an A2, but i ran out of time in it and left the short qs till last and ended up scribbleing the answers while the supervisor was telling me to finish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭i'm a smiler

unwyse wrote: »
    Hers the proof that the irish education system is **cked, no money no results:mad::mad::mad: and thats a fact as someone famous once said.its a lickle bit like the healthcare system.

Absolutely no way! Went to an average community school down the country, no grinds whatsoever, no evening study organised, had some good teachers, had other really poor teachers.

I was in classes with some absolute dossers who left school or were constanly messing and disrupting the teacher.

However, I worked hard, motivated myself to succeed and got all As in jc and 600 in lc.

You don't need a lot of money/grind school/private school to do well at all.

It's the people who think that money=results that really worry me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭lou91

I only recommended Campbell because I've had Carberry and Doran :mad: and they weren't great, at all. Go with Carberry I suppose. His notes are all you'll need (only had him for one year), but you will want to kill yourself in the classes. Awful teacher. I stopped going to the classes and just went to study instead.
    Got the A1 in the end, but you really need to know what to do and what to leave out.
    Somebody got it spot on with the english there. Cathy Sweeney for language and comparative - she's the reason I got my A1. Cian Hogan for single text and Paul McCormack for poetry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

I only recommended Campbell because I've had Carberry and Doran :mad: and they weren't great, at all. Go with Carberry I suppose. His notes are all you'll need (only had him for one year), but you will want to kill yourself in the classes. Awful teacher. I stopped going to the classes and just went to study instead.
    Got the A1 in the end, but you really need to know what to do and what to leave out.

Considering I'd be picking it up from scratch, should I just forget about it :confused:

Considering I'd be picking it up from scratch, should I just forget about it :confused:

Nah it's doable in a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭phlegms

Yeah I was exactly the same. Had Doran for 5th year and he was great craic but never really got much done. In 6th year I went to Carberry for some reason but soon realized I was better off just getting the notes off him and going to study myself..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Hpat

did any1 here do Hpat ireland test for medicine?
    if any of u guys hav the Hpat Ireland Practice test can u post some worked out solutions to questions in section 1 e.gQn 22-44 plzz

thanx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭li-evo7

I went to the institute for 3 years!5th year and 6th year twice so im like an expert on the place lol!

I would defo do business over economics.I took up economics in 6th year and ended up dropping it and doing 6 subjects cause there is a lot to take in especially if you only take it up in 6th year. Business is quite easy just lots of learning. If you do business make sure you pick William Murphy as your teacher. He is brill and an absolute legend!Gay as christmas but still a legend!

Chemistry get Tara Lyons..she takes not s**t and you have tests every week. She goes nuts if you miss tests.

As for geography i always had jim carberry and I found him ok. Wouldnt be able to compare him to james cambell cause I didnt have him.

The one thing I will advise you on is be very very careful to concentrate on your school work and mix with the right people.The reason I was there for a third year is cause the first two years all I did was doss cause it is SOOOO easy to do it in there. The only roll they take in class is a sheet of names they pass round and you have to sign. everyone just gets someone else to sign their name if they are mitching. I wasted my time in there cause I made the wrong friends that weren't interested in working and I hardly ever ended up goin to class.

As for the atmosphere and people...there are all different types of people.Yes a lot of d4 wannabes that slap on the make up and dress up for school!but the majority of the people are normal and good craic. The teachers are all very sound and helpful and you get to call them by first name.

Any more questions just ask. Please please dont skip classes cause you WILL be tempted with the easiness of it and all the shops so close by!

I am going back this year to repeat again but not to the institute!!

Advertisement