Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Regeneration

Options
  • 14-08-2009 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Well, as a previous member of boards I have returned in a new regeneration with an aim to get in proper shape once more and keep a proper log of my trials and errors.. so without further ado:
    Training Log
    Aug 4th 2009-08-04
    Waist: 35’
    Chest: 41’
    Biceps (flexed): 14.2’
    Quads: 21’
    Weight: 12st 08lbs
    Fat: 15.6%
    Muscle: 42.4%
    Water: 54.6%
    Exercise today:
    Tai Chi 30 mins
    3 x 15 press-ups
    3 x 15 squats (10kg barbell)
    3 x 10 bicep curls (10kg barbell)
    3 x 10 triceps dips (10kg barbell)
    Beginner section Step Reebok Circuit
    Aug 5th
    Tai Chi – 30 mins
    Reebok Circuit- Beginner section plus bicep curls
    Boxercise class
    15 min swim
    Aug 10th
    3 mile run - good fast pace but didn't time it.
    Aug 14th:
    Crewing for Ultraman on the Galway 100 mile run in Clifden.. will see how many miles I can run as a pacemaker...

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Best of luck with the log. Enjoy the crewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Mantra Dave

Thanks Racoon Queen

Well exercise-wise my next efforts were approx. 20 milkes cycling - not too tough on the downhills :-), 10 mile run and 30 miles of mostly walking.. I have blisters! And I am on hols tomorrow so will be a couple days before I can do any more... strangely I don't think I lost any weight! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

... strangely I don't think I lost any weight! :eek:
    beer for breakfast usually does dat 2 ye:D:D

ultraman1 wrote: »
    beer for breakfast usually does dat 2 ye:D:D

Carb loading! Carb loading! :D

Anyway, spent two weeks in Spain and walked about 45 miles during it (at least) and had one swim.. fartlek for 40 mins. Was a formidable 42 degrees so waaaay too hot to do any running or even to go outside where there was no AC.

Home now and time to face the music.
    Will start updating again tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Good luck mantra dave. Some day the ultraman will crew for you.

• Advertisement

ok after many smoke and drink filled binges I went to a hypnotherapist and am now smoke free! Very interesting experience I must say!!
    Anyway yesterday I did
    3 sets of press ups; 20, 19, 17
    5 sets chin ups; 4, 3, 2.5, 3, 2.5
    and an 8k run with Ultraman

this morning:
    3 sets of press ups; 21, 20, 10 (!?)

today:
    20 mins on hill training on treadmill.. level 6
    20 mins swim - breaststroke - exertion level 8

pyramid sets of chin ups= very bad! - 2 sets of 2, think I tried it too early after the swimming.

up early again tomorrow for more training with ultraman

3 sets of press ups this morning - 22, 19,18
    7 mile run

3 sets x 2 pull ups
    3 sets x 2 chin ups
    3 sets x 2 pull ups

Goin for a 4k run now with ultraman..

I'm HUNGRY!!!! still not smoking though.. those hypnotherapy people are genius!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

Well done on the smokes. As an ex-smoker I know its not easy and there will be moments when the urge seems to strong to resist, but give yourself 5mins to think about it and you'll put the 'monster' back in its box.

gerard65 wrote: »
    Well done on the smokes. As an ex-smoker I know its not easy and there will be moments when the urge seems to strong to resist, but give yourself 5mins to think about it and you'll put the 'monster' back in its box.

Cheers gerard, although I don't really get any strong urges after the hypno - was bloody expensive though! but it'll save me in the long run!

• Advertisement

This morning:
    3 sets press ups - 25, 19,18
    30 seconds Plank position

This afternoon:
    20 mins treadmill - hills level 8
    15 mins swim - perceived exertion 8.5

This evening:
    10 sets x 2 chin ups

took the weekend off for recovery and started back today with a run from my place in Clane to Barberstown Castle and back - around 9.5 miles. Left my watch at home and just got out there to get time on my feet and ground under them. I am enrolled in the DCM since the start of the year so I need to ramp up to that fairly rapidly now!:eek:

Felt good though.<y fave weather for running - bright and sunny and neither too warm nor too cold. Long may it last!

8k with Ultraman in Leixlip last night. Need to get arse back in gear with resistance training though...

ok all intentions of training went out the window when I got a shout to play golf today. 4 hours carrying a golf bag counts as cross training for a marathon though, doesn't it?????

no.......

no.......
    yes.......

anyway, 6 miles done at lunchtime today
    about to do one hour of Yoga Vinyasa and then I willbe pickin up Ultraman to go do 6 more miles at club training. That's if they recognise me and let me join in- haven't trained with them for months (actually, come to think of it I didn't train at all for months!!!)

Food, wine and DVDs all set up for my recovery period tonight :D

Did ABSOLUTELY nothing on Fri!
    Didn't even get out of bed till 4pm.
    Tthen hen sat in front of tv with a six-pack and a bottle of wine, ordered an Indian and watched a boxset of Entourage.
    Then went back to bed.

Up early this morning at 7.45 - did day 1 of the Running Inn running workshop in Donadea. Great workshop, I must say! Really learned a couple of things.

At 9am we started with a Vo2 max test over a mile run at 85% max effort.
    According to my results I should be able to run

3k in 14 mins
    5k in 24:09
    10k in 50 mins (this is true- my PB is 49'28)
    half mara in 1"48'30 - (my PB so far is just under 2 - so long since I did a half I don't remember!)

So then we went on to do circuits, hill training and core work. Was a tough day training. On the plus side of it, it seems that the PBs I get (as above) are when I don't train, so if I did train properly I could easily smash those times I was given. This has inspired me to actually start taking running seriously again.

Have a long run tomorrow after another Vo2 max test and am up early so just gonna stay in and chill tonight.
    Pizza - check
    Wine - check
    DVD - check (hey, it is a Sat night after all!!)

Did the bleep test for VO2 this morning.. got to 9.2 - was told anything above 8 was very good but was disappointed since most others got 10 and up..
    calves felt sore after that so 2k into the long run when they hadn't recovered I just quit the run.. back in action tomorrow!

most of the others wernt skullin wine and pizza all nite:D....

most of the others wernt skullin wine and pizza all nite:D....

TRue.. knew I shouldn't have opened that second bottle :(
    Gonna be layin off the booze big time now.

Given the chance to become a real contender if I stay off the fags, lower the booze intake and train properly I think I'll go for it!

• Advertisement

went out to do 12 today and it was disastrous!!
    I hade such painful calves/shins it was like the entire muscle groups were cramped up! It was nearly 3 miles before I ran through the pain and after 6 I knew I wouold be in trouble if I pushed it to 12 so I quit.

Hopefully things will be different tomorrow...:(

WEnt out to do my favourite 8 miler today - has a nearby Sli na Slainte 5.5k near it (3.6miles)

Started off slow and calves were still like cement blocks. F$@#!!!!
    After about 3 miles they calmed down and I relaxed into the run F$@# ing great!
    Got to the 8 mile mark and felt ok to keep going so did the 3.6 at the end..

so approx 11.5 so far today in 1hr 57

Will be doing a few more with Ultraman tonight so all islooking good. Phew!!!:D

Well, just short of 5 miles with Ultraman tonight bringing the day's total to 16 miles and I am feeling fine!! Roll on the marathon!:)
    I am aiming at getting round in less than 4hrs 40.. and it's looking quite possible.

Recovery day today so just a load of housework, 20 mins on hills on the treadie, level 9 and 25 mins swim - breast-stroke.

Went a few minutes longer on the swim than usual and managed 2 full lengths underwater afterwards.. obviously my lung capacity is improving.

Some random thoughts as I was lost in myself during the swim..

The water in the Westgrove pool is a lovely deep blue colour. I'd love to paint a wall in my apartment that colour.

I wonder what will happen rappers as they get older.. will they start to look like Jimmy Saville?

and others I can't even remember now - and even if I did I am too hungry to care and the spaghetti is starting to boil over so ...:pac::pac::pac:

The water in the Westgrove pool is a lovely deep blue colour. I'd love to paint a wall in my apartment that colour.

piss usually goes dat color when its mixed with bleach:D:D

Woke up yesterday and fell out of bed..
    Did 3 sets of press-ups: 25, 15, 20
    3 x 20 squats with medicine ball for shoulder raises
    3 x 20 weighted calf raises with barbell & 10kg weights

6 mile run with club last night. Gave it everything on the first half - 3 miles in 24mins which is in line with what my VO2 max results from the weekend course suggested. Will see how I do at the CC 5k in Celbridge tomorrow! My daughter is running it too - her first race - so I am looking forward to both racing and seeing her cross the line and get her medal :).

After a brief rest with Ultraman at the top of the hill I headed back down on the return journey to our meeting point and *OH F*&%!!!!* my calves felt heavy. "WTF!" indeed readers, "WTF?"

Well I slowed the pace and after a few mins I naturally started to take off again and all was well - I even left Ultraman in my wing mirrors :D.

Woke early again today (weird but I keep waking early now that I am not boozing) but felt like I had really worked hard last night in my muscles.. was tempted to do some press ups and squats but I think the lack of alcohol means aches and pains are not being masked as they were before and I decided to listen to what the muscles were saying to me.. "REST Dave, REST!!!" and am gonna leave exercise today. Ah, no, actually I won't - I'll make up my mind later whether to do some Tae Bo, Yoga, treadie or swimming or a combo. School's are off so have to wait for little one's mum to get back and then I will decide.

I suppose I may as well include what I eat here since diet is an important part of training. So I will start with today;
    breakfast: 4 slices of wholegrain brown toast with raspberry jam, a few berries (strawberries, raspberries, blueberries) a chocolate protein shake and two cups of tea.

My laptop charger broke so reports will be sporadic until I get it replaced.

Off to Mantra tonight.. hope I manage to stay off the Mojitos!

well, yesterday I did the intermediate section of my Step Reebok circuit training dvd.. sweated buckets and felt great.
    Protein shake in chocolate milk afterwards.
    Dinner was a stew.
    Lots of beer for carb loading when I managed to get to Maynooth eventually. Over two hours after I left my place in Clane!! :mad:

So the Celbridge 5k cc today at 2.30 - Disastrous!
    Half way round my calves started to hurt and the uneven ground meant they hurt on every footfall. Hobbled in at just under 29 mins. Didn't even check the exact time, I was disgusted. Another year to wait to go at that one again!

A 6k cc tomorrow so will be stayin in and resting tonight. Me, my daughter, pizza, wine and Tomb Raider on dvd. She thinks the dvd is cos she'd like it. Bless her innocent little head :D

Well readers, what can I say...
    Having only done the Celbridge Liz McDonnell as regards cross country (in recent years anyway - I discount cross country training in school) today's race was a different kettle of fish!
    I like the Celbridge on cos it's really cross country - up and down hills and through wooded areas and alongside a river. Wasn't expecting to do 6 laps of a field today. Still- flatter terrain so not too difficult. Or so you might think.
    The level of athletes out in force today was way beyond my ability at present. The members frommy club did well. I didn't.
    Was holding my own in 2nd last and then last place, expecting to catch up during later laps. Instead at 2.5 laps my calves turned into blocks of concrete again. This is happening far too often for my liking. I ran on in pain until the 6th lap when the pain suddenly started to dissipate. Went round in what I would have thought a reasonable(ish) time- 32mins. But I had already been lapped by half the other runners :(
    And they didn't even have a wooden spoon for me when I came in last. They even started taking down the flag markers before I finished, which considering I was only a few minutes behind the pack I found to be a bit rude. Could they not have allowed me some little bit of dignity by waiting till I was finished??!!!
    Anyway the pain came back for about 30 mins after I finished.. any suggestions anyone?
    We did end up standing around in freezing cold for 2 hours waiting for our race and that prob didn't help. Maybe at the moment I am just more suited to long distance rather than shorter faster races on uneven ground..
    I think I will opt out of any further fast paced training/races until after the DCM and then start back on my speed training from scratch.

OK, 5 days of ehm.. rest.
    Then the Donadea 10K yesterday..
    Thankfully a local physio clinic supplied free massages pre and post race. I decided to get one and she found that my calves were EXTREMELY tight,and intimated that running might be a bit of a dubious activity. A few points of pressure and I was screaming like I'd picked the wrong Dominatrix- or the right one, I dunno.
    It did help though and I ran the race in a reasonable 54'31 - my 4th best for a 10k (best was London Bupa in 49'28) followed by another massage afterwards.
    On their recommendation I bought epsom salts today and plan to start backon my old daily yoga routine and get a couple of sports massages over the next two weeks. I think I ramped up a bit too fast this time. Has always worked before but I guess I got another year younger so I may need to take heed of stuff like that. The next two weeks will be interesting.

• Advertisement

afterwards.
    On their recommendation I bought epsom salts today.
    :rolleyes:

Advertisement