Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thanks

Options
  • 14-08-2009 11:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭

Ok, I know the thanks addition has been debated to death. But you know, so has the recession...so let's debate some more.

I like it, don't get me wrong...it's nice when someone thanks you for saying something hilarious and brightening up their day...or when they thank you for giving them the hints that let you finally clear Magic Land Dizzy (Is that what the kids are playing nowadays?). I'll even accept that it's a fine way of saying that you agree with what's just been posted.

But...can you imagine a real life conversation going like this:

JOHN: Hey guys...got some bad news today..it seems I have a tumour on my balls and I'm going to have to get one removed or i'll probably die.

Thanks John!!!!

Erm...

PETER: My mother died today

THANKS PETER!!!

I think I'm probably being a little picky, but it just looks wrong!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

What?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

When its bad news and someone thanks the post, its just a way of saying "sorry to hear that".

Like when everyone thanked Dr BolloCKO post welcoming Hagar.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

This is getting old! :mad: go away please!

Kiera wrote: »
    When its bad news and someone thanks the post, its just a way of saying "sorry to hear that".

Like when everyone thanked Dr BOLLOCKO post welcoming Hagar.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh.

Me: My cat is sick :(

Vet: THANKS!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Four-Percent

I dunno, I thank a post if it made me smile a little bit. It's like laughing at someone's joke virtual-ificated.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

kingtut wrote: »
    This is getting old! Go away please! (thank me first though....:roll eyes: ) :mad:

I like your username...it suits ya. Aye, I guess it is getting old. Sorry about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Thank this will ya!!!

Insurgent wrote: »
    Thank this will ya!!!

You make a convincing argument.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Ok, I know the thanks addition has been debated to death. But you know, so has the recession...so let's debate some more.

I like it, don't get me wrong...it's nice when someone thanks you for saying something hilarious and brightening up their day...or when they thank you for giving them the hints that let you finally clear Magic Land Dizzy (Is that what the kids are playing nowadays?). I'll even accept that it's a fine way of saying that you agree with what's just been posted.

But...can you imagine a real life conversation going like this:

JOHN: Hey guys...got some bad news today..it seems I have a tumour on my balls and I'm going to have to get one removed or i'll probably die.

Thanks John!!!!

Erm...

PETER: My mother died today

THANKS PETER!!!

I think I'm probably being a little picky, but it just looks wrong!!

I want to thank this post, but I'm scared...

But your comparison to the real world falls short when you remember:
    WE'RE ALL FCUKING NERDS!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Smart Bug

In case of the confusion of some posters that seems to be apparent, it should be changed to the text:

"My (hereafter referred to as 'the acknowledger') universal expression of acknowledgement, consolidatory regard, respect or appreciation of the opinion, humour, adverse happenstance or general comment you (hereafter referred to as 'the recipient') has expressed in the post directly above this articulation"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

davyjose wrote: »
    WE'RE ALL FCUKING NERDS!!

Nope I try Fcuk geek's, goths, punkers, princesses, rockers, and girls next door.

Nerds are too greasy.
    Kinda like sticking it in a Big Mac.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

There should also be a STFU button and a Pics or GTFO button.

I like your username...it suits ya. Aye, I guess it is getting old. Sorry about that.

You're grand, I just wanted to be the guy who begs to be thanked in every thread and posts just for the sake of it (I'm not usually that guy but every thread has one :) ) my work here is done :P

Insurgent wrote: »
    Thank this will ya!!!

Let me think about it.........ummm ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Same word. different meaning depending on the subject matter.
    Not that hard to grasp

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

My pet rabbit Frank died today :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Don't see anything wrong with it - it's a way of agreeing, showing you found a post funny/thought-provoking or just a way of saying "I'm sorry for your..." to people.

Bloody whinging.. if anything, doesn't it make people try harder? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭johnny_knoxvile

on the subject of thanks, tools who brown nose when some one gets banned... Its always the same names who thank the banning

on the subject of thanks, tools who brown nose when some one gets banned... Its always the same names who thank the banning

Maybe they're just showing that they agree/are pleased with the ban, as it was justified. Say, hypothetically obviously, if someone was making light of the death of a young girl and the actions of a multi-national company? People who were touched by the story saying that they think it's right the person was banned?

brummytom wrote: »
    Maybe they're just showing that they agree/are pleased with the ban, as it was justified. Say, hypothetically obviously, if someone was making light of the death of a young girl and the actions of a multi-national company? People who were touched by the story saying that they think it's right the person was banned?

well i didnt make light of it if your hinting at the Pixar thread?... If some one is banned they are banned, its pretty final. Why the need to jump in and start thanking... Its the same names popping up...the same little click.

• Advertisement

well i didnt make light of it if your hinting at the Pixar thread?... If some one is banned they are banned, its pretty final. Why the need to jump in and start thanking... Its the same names popping up...the same little click.

A 19-page thread in Feedback doesn't need anymore going over.
    It's the same as saying 'cheers' to a barman or bouncer for getting rid of someone who's being a nuisance.

Just so you know, I'm not one to hold grudges. If a post of yours makes me laugh, I'd thank it.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Porkpie

I'd rather have a **** than a thank

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Long Onion

Porkpie wrote: »
    I'd rather have a **** than a thank

At least you're frank

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

I thought thankswhoring / discussion threads were relegated to feedback..
    Away with thee and your opinion from this place..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Dave147 wrote: »

RIP Daves pet rabbit Frank that died today.

In memory:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Dave147 wrote: »

Probably died of shame, Franks no name for a rabbit

brummytom wrote: »
    A 19-page thread in Feedback doesn't need anymore going over.
    It's the same as saying 'cheers' to a barman or bouncer for getting rid of someone who's being a nuisance.

Just so you know, I'm not one to hold grudges. If a post of yours makes me laugh, I'd thank it.

i didnt bring up a certain incident...ive only been banned once, im talking about the same people jumping on the band wagon for every banning. A bouncer kicking some one out for causing trouble is a little different from what mods do. There are no health and safety issues, text can be ignored.

i didnt bring up a certain incident...ive only been banned once, im talking about the same people jumping on the band wagon for every banning. A bouncer kicking some one out for causing trouble is a little different from what mods do. There are no health and safety issues, text can be ignored.

Fair enough.. In my opinion, it's just a way of showing your support for a mod doing their job, rather than abuse they recieve for many bans. Can't say I thank every ban but I'm sure I've thanked a mod a few times if I felt the ban was justified. But obviously not every thinks the same.
    Apologies for bringing up 'that' incident as well.

Quick quick!! BVB has thanked every post in this thread, if you are a thanks whore post quickly and you are guaranteed at least one thanks!! woohoo!!

Keep it up BVB!

• Advertisement

BVB, well played ;) :pac:

Advertisement