Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ketchup..Heinz or Chef?!?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

rubadub wrote: »
    Same here, I never get the reasoning why some people are so madly against one or the other. I mean if you don't like ketchup you don't like it, but you have to admit it is very strange to love one and supposedly despise the others when they are such similar items/tastes.
    A lot of red suaces taste similar to each other but some are completely different to another brand.
    More pronounced in brown sauce, chef brown sauce is practically my favourite food, but detest any other brown saude I've gone near.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

Heinz. Chef is too vinegary for my tastes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭rainbowdrop

Heinz. Chef is too vinegary for my tastes.

Agreed, Heinz has the loveliest red sauce!! On the other hand, If its brown sauce ye're talking about, then chef is nicer.......

Ballymaloe country relish is savage as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 FeckinForeigner

Heinz fo sho. Chef stinks really bad

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Milky Moo

Heinz the organic one it is sweet,chef is too tangy or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I much refer the vinegary goodness of Chef. It's better for savoury foods. Heinz is really sweet (not that I'd put it on icecream or anything...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 278 ✭✭Rocky Balboa 2

BBQ sauce ftw

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

A lot of red suaces taste similar to each other but some are completely different to another brand.
    I can tell the difference alright, but opinions of disgust seems wayyyy too OTT for what are essentially the same ingredients. e.g. I despise cucumber, I have read it is a common thing, sort of like an allergy. Like marmite you like it or love it, I could not imagine somebody despising marmite but liking a lidl "marmite clone". People also go OTT on their like/dislike for beers, I expect in blind tastes feck all could tell the difference in many beers.
    More pronounced in brown sauce, chef brown sauce is practically my favourite food, but detest any other brown saude I've gone near.
    Thats what I'm talking about, if the people who claim to completely hate chef but tried chef first, why are they not put off even attempting to try others? WTF did they even try another brand of ketchup if the first was so vile?

I REALLY despise cucumber, I am not going to try dunnes brand just to give it another go!

Brown sauces are different, the ingredients vary a lot, the main thing in common is just the colour! with ketchup it is tomatoes, vinegar & sugar.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Spastafarian

Piste wrote: »
    Heinz is really sweet (not that I'd put it on icecream or anything...)
    I've just had a brilliant idea!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Omnomnom

Neither....blech

Why ruin your food?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

Chef for ketchup...Heinz is grand if you give it a good shake first but if you forget, it's got lumpy bits surrounded in a puddle of juice...yuck!
    Chef again for brown sauce, never tasted a nicer one.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Definitely chef.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

rhapsody! wrote: »
    I never noticed the difference between the two.. or any ketchups for that matter. Dunnes, Tesco, Supervalu, Heinz, Chef... all probably come out of the same factory and just get pumped into different bottles :P

Are you Mental?! :pac:
    Calibos wrote: »
    Heinz, though once a year I'll buy the Chef for a change, enjoy the first half of the bottle but hate the second half when the novelty has worn off, then back to Heinz another 11 and a half months.

Exactly!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Kandee FTW!!!

Nyom!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

rubadub wrote: »
    I can tell the difference alright, but opinions of disgust seems wayyyy too OTT for what are essentially the same ingredients. e.g. I despise cucumber, I have read it is a common thing, sort of like an allergy. Like marmite you like it or love it, I could not imagine somebody despising marmite but liking a lidl "marmite clone". People also go OTT on their like/dislike for beers, I expect in blind tastes feck all could tell the difference in many beers.

Thats what I'm talking about, if the people who claim to completely hate chef but tried chef first, why are they not put off even attempting to try others? WTF did they even try another brand of ketchup if the first was so vile?

I REALLY despise cucumber, I am not going to try dunnes brand just to give it another go!

Brown sauces are different, the ingredients vary a lot, the main thing in common is just the colour! with ketchup it is tomatoes, vinegar & sugar.
    Yeah, I don't know how, if they tried one and hated it, how they would move onto another brand. Unless they are like me...

Never try a food to see if you still don't like it?
    I always am trying foods I hate, now and again, like your cucumber. I might be alone in that. I didn't like onion for my whole life until a few months ago(many taste tests), I eat 2/3 a day now, can't get enough. Same hate to love with broccoli, carrots, mushrooms etc. Even pizza, didn't like the tomato bases on pizzas until last year and have always made my own instead. I seem to have odd food conversions!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Enigma'

Heinz beats Chef hands down.

KFC ketchup reins supreme though.....:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭Lirange

Am I the only one that likes both?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Chef Always..more of a tang
    Heinz=sugar water

Never try a food to see if you still don't like it?
    I always am trying foods I hate, now and again, like your cucumber.
    I keep tasting cucumber- against my will! e.g. in kebab sauces, or in sandwiches which do not have cucumber listed on them. Even if you take them off I can still taste it. It is not just me it is apparently sort of like an allergy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cucumber#Taste
    There appears to be variability in the human olfactory response to cucumbers, with the majority of people reporting a mild, almost watery flavor or a light melon taste, while a small but vocal minority report a highly repugnant taste, some say almost perfume-like. The presence of the organic compound phenylthiocarbamide is believed to cause the bitter taste

Weird thing is I adore pickles! and always have.
    didn't like onion for my whole life until a few months ago(many taste tests),
    Taste buds can change, I would have thought from childhood to adulthood. e.g. I used to hate mayo as a kid and love it now. BUT this is not really the same issue IMO, it is not like I despised one particular brand and liked others and now like the hated brand. I hated them all and now like pretty much all mayo.
    Lirange wrote: »
    Am I the only one that likes both?
    Nope, there are very few I do not like, even the cheapo kandee has its place, viciously acidic and watery, goes well on chips since it is like they are already dosed in vinegar. Delmonte sweet one is nice, hard to get, in some asian shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    Heinz meanz beanz ketchup
    Ketchup meanz Heinz, I'd reckon.

Heinz all the way. Again, Chef = too vinegary. Bleh.

And no Red Sauce please :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Smart Bug

I fucking hate ketchup. I hate it with a burning passion. The sauce of choice for plebs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

What's all this talk of 'red sauce'? It's ketchup!

Do the 'red sauce folks' call their parents Mammy & Daddy even when they are long past the creche-going age?

Must I call ketchup 'red sauce' when ordering a breakfast roll and a tin of Fanta?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Ketchup meanz Heinz, I'd reckon.

Heinz all the way. Again, Chef = too vinegary. Bleh.

correct.

also it's tomato sauce, only yanks say ketchup.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Chef Ketchup > all

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I like HP Sauce and Heinz ketchup, its funny though I have noticed that people who come from true Dublin families favour Chef while the culchies ones like Heinz.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

Chef all the way!

Chef is the executive ketchup...

+1, brown sauce too, though its a bit more acceptable, but it could mean chocolate, like red sauce could mean strawberry.
    Bambi wrote: »
    correct.

also it's tomato sauce, only yanks say ketchup.
    Are you serious, every single person here has being calling it ketchup (or red sauce), must be a lot of yanks in Ireland and posting here. Tomato sauce to me would infer a pasta sauce. If you want to get exact it should be called tomato ketchup, since you can get other ketchups, like they have mushroom ketchup in dunnes. It is not mushroom sauce, ketchup is a recipie of "named item", sugar & vinegar. The only word I hear the US use that is not used here is catsup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Heniz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

Does anyone call it Catsup!?

• Advertisement

Mr burns does and look what happened him

Advertisement