Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to get into home brewing

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Live4Ever wrote: »
    Great thanks, it would be nice to make one with a bit of a kick (like a wine, but a beer obviously). 12% would be the max I'd go.
    It's called a Barley Wine
    Is there a tool that measures alcohol volume?
    I use this
    For a beginner, what would you recommend to brew first? The stout? To be honest, I'm not a big ale man. I've tried Smithwicks a few times, thought it was ok, went to the UK and had a pint of 'ale'. I hated it, this particular ale was flat... Didn't agree with me at all! Maybe I just got a bad pint, either way I haven't sampled ale since!
    I was never a fan of Ales either, until I got into home brewing and discovered the many varied and different styles, probably my favourite style of beer now. I'd tend to like the more hoppier side of the style and I'm generally not a huge fan of English Ales. So I'd say it's a case of you just not finding a style you like.

As for what style to start with, stouts and ales are generally the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

Mashtun wrote: »
    Don't want to sound negative but this sounds absolutely uncontrollable

Sorry - didn't expand on it - there is a local group here trying to tie in external heating control via a programmable board. Basically using a calibrated thermistor or temperature sensor to control a heating element (light bulb or aquarium heater).

With just a light bulb the only control you have is the wattage and time cycling.

This incubator has a different purpose than home brew - there is a research element, and a dimension to exploring cultures and mixed/oscillating temperatures.

Advertisement