Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many times have you read the series?

Options
  • 13-08-2009 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭

How many??

How many times have you read the Series? 59 votes

Never, I just watch the films
    0% 0 votes
    1 Time
    8% 5 votes
    2-4 Times
    18% 11 votes
    > 4 Times
    72% 43 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭laoisforliam

Personally Ive lost count of how many times ive read the books.
    I have gone from start to finish alot tho

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Oh I've no idea really because I've read some of them a lot more than others - the earlier ones obviously more. I'd say I could have read books 1-3 maybe four or five times each, but then yesterday it suddenly struck me that I think I only read Deathly Hallows once! And HBP I read twice. So I couldn't really answer for 'the series'.

But now that I've literally just finished college (forever!) I have a lot more reading time and planned to start rereading books 6 & 7 (and maybe 5) within the next couple of weeks. And I can't wait :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I've long lost count! I read some more often than others too. I prefer books 5+ tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Bonavox

Many, many times. I was hoping for a 15+ but alas, unlucky! :D;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Just finished reading them for a second time. I'd imagine reading it over and over again would take some of the magic away so that's why I'm only on my second run. :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 teamB_macro

lost count too. i usually pick up a book in no particular order then go with it. but i think i read prisoner of azkaban one too many times than the rest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 TheMorningLine

5 times

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

A lot...I re-read them every summer as soon as I get off school and I used to re-read them more than that...the first four I've read countless times, then the fifth book maybe like seven or eight times, the sixth maybe five and I think I've read the Deathly Hallows three times...
    Favourite books ever...so glad I found this forum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭fleeflyfloflum

Xx_emma_xX wrote: »
    A lot...I re-read them every summer as soon as I get off school and I used to re-read them more than that...the first four I've read countless times, then the fifth book maybe like seven or eight times, the sixth maybe five and I think I've read the Deathly Hallows three times...
    Favourite books ever...so glad I found this forum

I re read them every summer too!! Its like a ritual! And they still have a permanent place in my 'Fav Books of the Moment' Shelf too!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

4 times

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭RoRoCullen

The series three times. The Philosphers Stone around 8 times , Prisoner of Azkaban around 6, Half Blood Prince around 10 and Deathly Hallows like 20 LOL!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

RoRoCullen wrote: »
    The series three times. The Philosphers Stone around 8 times , Prisoner of Azkaban around 6, Half Blood Prince around 10 and Deathly Hallows like 20 LOL!

It's true the series get so much better towards the end :D As for the exact number i'm not sure but I love coming accross new things or things i've forgotten.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,543 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

About 5 times. I re-read them every year or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

Faith wrote: »
    I've long lost count! I read some more often than others too. I prefer books 5+ tbh.
    Samesies on all of that :pac:

The Harry Potter books are possibly my favourite thing to comfort read when I'm upset. I still get genuine moments of fear for the trio when I read the Deathly Hallows!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Just once but listening to the audiobook (love Jim Dale!). :)

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭baktag

5 or 6 times, might have another go before HP7 film comes out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

I've definitely read each of the first four more than 30 times. The more recent ones I've read less as I'm not as obsessed with the series as I once was. I re-read them all a few weeks ago and while I remembered every little thing that happened up the GOF, I found myself being surprised by some of the smaller details in the later books as I'd forgotten about some bits. For example I'd completely forgotten some of the people who died in DH and I went through all the saddness of them dying all over again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

I find that no matter how many times I read it,the plot and characters still surprise me and grip me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

Ruu wrote: »
    Just once but listening to the audiobook (love Jim Dale!). :)
    I thought Stephen Fry read the audiobooks? Is that only in the British version, maybe?

I hope you're making good progress through the series! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

This is embarrassing but . . .:

1st book: 16/17 approx
    2nd: 12 approx
    3rd: >20 :eek:
    4th: 7???
    5th:5 or so
    6th: 5 or so
    7th: 7?

Admittedly, when i was a lot younger and there were only a few books in it i reread them repeatedly . . .and i've read the last one a good few times considering its more recent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 dubes

Dubes banned for Personal Abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭RoRoCullen

It's true the series get so much better towards the end :D As for the exact number i'm not sure but I love coming accross new things or things i've forgotten.

Same or R/Hr moments lol. DH, HBP and POA are my fave :cool: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

RoRoCullen wrote: »
    Same or R/Hr moments lol. DH, HBP and POA are my fave :cool: :D

Can't get enough of those!
    Not sure what my favourite book was, I tihink they got better as they went on so i'll go with Deathly Hallows :) Can not wait for the films, hope they do the books justice!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,543 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Reading this thread makes me want to go and reread them all again now! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

I've read them twice and was thinking about reading them another time before the movie but I'm not sure if i'll have time. Although I was never a Harry Potter fanatic they are fantastic books :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Read them once aloud to my daughter, she's heard them twice :)

Reading this thread makes me think I need to read them again for myself...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 carol111

i have read series 2-4 times because i love to read this.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

obvs the older ones will have been read more because they have bee out longer, but i always read them in a series from 1-7, take a small break and start again :o i think i have read them well over 100 times at this point! it only takes me a couple hours to read the bigger books (and yes i take it all in, i have just ALWAYS been a very fast reader) and an hour or less for the smaller ones :D

Read trough the whole series 3 times bud read individuals a few more like Goblet of Fire, Deathly Hallows bout 5-6

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

hdowney wrote: »
    obvs the older ones will have been read more because they have bee out longer, but i always read them in a series from 1-7, take a small break and start again :o i think i have read them well over 100 times at this point! it only takes me a couple hours to read the bigger books (and yes i take it all in, i have just ALWAYS been a very fast reader) and an hour or less for the smaller ones :D

Are you serious? They're good, but they're not that good!

Advertisement