Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Locks Restaurant Portobello Closed?

Options
  • 12-08-2009 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Running past Locks this evening on the Canal, noticed the lights were out and then saw the sign in the door: "Locks restaurant has ceased trading".

A sad day - a lovely restaurant. Hope that they can sort things out.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Oh bugger :( That was on my hitlist of places to go eat, poor people working there

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭antoniosicily

Oh bugger :( That was on my hitlist of places to go eat, poor people working there

same here :|

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

Crap. I had a superb lunch at the start of the year finished by the best espresso I have ever had. Always meant to return...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

CRAP! I've been meaning to go for ages. Drat. In other news - Pichet has opened where Leon/The Big Cheese used to be. Some of the employees from Locks work there I think. Supposed to be good?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I think I read a good review of Pichet in the Irish Times recently. Sounds good.

Pity about Locks - it was on my list but I never got round to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Kooli

Dammit I'd been meaning to go there too!

Maybe if all of us who had MEANT to go there actually WENT there we could have saved them!!

Kooli wrote: »
    Dammit I'd been meaning to go there too!

Maybe if all of us who had MEANT to go there actually WENT there we could have saved them!!

True, true!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 foodie65

Hi all you people who did not make it to Locks - It's open again I just heard that it will be open from Friday 21st - Enjoy - glad to see some good news at last

Just saw this in the paper. Will defo make a booking soon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭quazzy

Anybody know if this is under new management

I was there when Locks re-opened under Troy Mcquire - hope he is still at the helm.

• Advertisement

quazzy wrote: »
    Anybody know if this is under new management

I was there when Locks re-opened under Troy Mcquire - hope he is still at the helm.

Same people AFAIK.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2009/0819/1224252870578.html

I went last night! Husband surprised me with a dinner there for our anniversary. Really like it, will post review above.

Dunno if I'm allowed to bump such an old thread but I'm seeing lots of activity in Locks again in recent days and weeks - anyone have any info?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭quazzy

Re-opening in October according to the irish times

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/features/2010/0819/1224277140379.html

Story is not related to Locks itself but mentions the area and that is will re-open.

I went past a few days ago, and it looked like they were doing it up. So fingers crossed they're re-opening.

Oh! Just found out - Pearl Brasserie is going to open another venue in Locks. So that's what the action in there was.

Brilliant! Where did you hear that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭foodaholic

I also heard that too.

Is it a good location for a restaurant though, wouldnt have thought there would be much passing by trade

Kooli wrote: »
    Brilliant! Where did you hear that?

It's written on their menus apparently!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Galadriel

It must be opening soon, passed by it today and they where arranging the furniture, dying to see what it will be like!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭kerno

Its opening back up SOON..!!

Delivered into it today :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭nompere

Got this email from Pearl Brasserie yesterday afternoon:

'Pearl Brasserie are delighted to announce the opening of our sister brasserie Locks on Tuesday 5th October 2010 at 5pm.
    Locks will be a place for the locals, with a price structure that reflects its’ suburban location; however, we will bring to Locks the same philosophy of good food, comfortable surroundings with friendly & attentive staff that we have been delivering in Pearl Brasserie since 2000. We are thrilled to be opening Locks, a long-time favourite of Dubliners, and we feel it is the perfect place to reflect a more relaxed experience.

'Locks offers private dining facilities for corporate or private entertainment as well as a beautiful sunny views over the Grand Canal.
    The kitchen will be headed up by Rory Carville from Castleblayney, Co. Monaghan. Carville’s career has taken him on a journey through some of Dublin’s finest kitchens which included Terry White in the Four Seasons and latterly as Sous Chef in Derry Clarks ’L’Ecrivian. Masi says of his new Head Chef “His uncomplicated approach to creating simply delicious cuisine will perfectly reflect the ethos of Locks.”
    The Restaurant will be managed by Thomas Pinoncely; Thomas is well known to regulars of Pearl Brasserie and the cheery Frenchman will be leading the team on the floor of Locks. Batt says of Thomas “His natural warmth and dedication to excellent customer care and attention to detail will really shine through at Lock’s.”'

I do hope the cooking is better than their use of English.

They don't seem to have the website up yet, dying to try it, once I find the number to book that is!

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Shoelaces

I know this might sound a little obscene considering wallet situations nowadays but if anybody is looking for a place to hold a smallish family party this place is the bees knees. I was there for my college graduation party and the private room they have upstairs is a real experience. As good as the one the Mermaid by the Olympia have with the added avantage of not being underground. Regal is the word to describe it. However service i found was better in the Mermaid and cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Dublinate

I saw this and thought I'd let you know I had dinner in Locks on Tuesday night, it was really wonderful, but don't take my word for it try it yourselves.

Dublinate wrote: »
    I saw this and thought I'd let you know I had dinner in Locks on Tuesday night, it was really wonderful, but don't take my word for it try it yourselves.

Do you have a number for them? will try them out in the next few weeks. What are the prices like?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Dublinate

Galadriel wrote: »
    Do you have a number for them? will try them out in the next few weeks. What are the prices like?

The early bird menu is only €19.50, contact number: 01 420 0555

Dublinate wrote: »
    The early bird menu is only €19.50, contact number:

Hmmmmm post count of 2 and both about Locks? Hmmmmmmm!

Still thanks for the info, it'd be great if you, sorry I mean THEY, would get their website sorted!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 dinglemist

I had lunch there today and it was absolutely superb. At €19.50 for two courses it is incredible value for the awesomeness of the food.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭hick

hmmmmmmm

Advertisement