Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

do you eat food that's past the use by date?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭gerky

Ah I don't believe that! If It's below a certain temperature, germs can't get in or out and once it's cooked above a certain temp it's safe to eat. It may not taste the same as it would if it was fresh frozen in the last month but it is safe.

Frozen food is only safe for long term storage if its properly prepared, properly packaged and kept at a extremely low constant temperature.

It can be done but it's a hard thing to do properly in a home freezer.

But once I don't have to eat it its your choice:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

A lot of what I eat is out of date, just the way I was brought up. 'Waste not want not' and all that etc. Plus you can get great big boxes of out of date stuff for next to nothing if you know where to shop.

Never get sick or food poisoning, even after eating stuff that has made other people sick. I reckon its good for the immune system tbh :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

genericguy wrote: »
    Anyway, help me out - would you eat food that's a little while past the use by date?
    Yup, all the time, and I haven't died yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

check for mould, sniff, poke, sniff, eat.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,938 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Most food is safe to eat after its best before date, with the exception of the likes of meat and eggs. It just won't taste as nice. With eggs, you can check to see if it's safe to eat past the use-by date by seeing if it sinks or floats in unsalted water. If it sinks then it's still fresh.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

Overheal wrote: »
    Depends on many factors. Are you broke? Can you afford to throw the cake in the bin? What are the risks of eating out of date cake? Do these risks outweigh the cost of throwing away the cake?

For instance there is week old sushi in the fridge. I have NO idea if its good for a month or 2 days. I know that Off-Sushi can do serious damage to my bowels. I have other things to eat. Sushi wasnt that expensive. Conclusion: chuck the fish, as delicious as it may have been in its former life as Fresh Sushi.

Cheers. But - the price of the cake isn't a problem, nor was i starving. in fact i was contemplating the eating of said cake over dinner. the issue was more whether i would enjoy instant deliciousness or delayed deliciousness. i chose instant deliciousness.

and it was gooooood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Omnomnom

We can only make exceptions for cake....

and tea:)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

If it's not meat, no harm. Won't touch meat even a day after cos i don't like food poisining.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Jesus Juice

I made two paninis today just before I put them in the George Foreman I noticed some spots of mould on the paninis but I just guessd the heat would get rid of them.And it did!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Use by dates are there for the manufacturers protection. When you have something kept well, like milk or meat, you can normally eat it a good while after it is "out of date". Smell or taste the food, examine it, you can normally tell if it is ok or not. Something like pork or chicken that is sour, can make you ill, most things just don't taste nice but will not harm you in any way.

Also, mold can be on your food and you may not see it. It doesn't start off big and blue on the first day.

Food can also go off long before it's use by date if not stored correctly. I normally throw out sauces that are out of date, other things I taste. Mushrooms for example, you know when they go brown, when you wash them they are slimey, well don't eat them. Not good for you ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

generally yeah
    not chicken or dairy tho most other things like a cake id eat regardless it does no harm

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Spastafarian

genericguy wrote: »
    thanks man (or woman), the worst thing is I'm a fcuking scientist and I'm still afraid even though I know it won't kill me. I blame me ma.

Stay away from brown mince though, dodgy meats will fcuk you up.

Gah! No! Don't waste food! Mince is supposed to be brown, it naturally goes brown when exposed to air. In fact if it's bright red it usually means that it's been dyed, not that there's anything unhealthy about that but it's just a bit dishonest. Believe me if it's gone off you will smell it, that's what your nose is for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭RiverWilde

Common sense really has to be applied in relation to 'best before dates.' If the food is hopping up and down demanding it's right to be heard before the UN sure it's time the food went into the bin. However, if it looks and smells okay and has been stored properly and ultimately cooked properly for me anyway it should be okay.

Riv

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

depends on the food type,
    Milk and dairy (except chocolate) i wouldnt touch, i ahve had and im sure nearly everyone else has had the bad experience of ruining a good bowl of crereal or cup of tea with bad milk..
    pretty much Everything else ill eat, except crisps, manky soft when outta date.. Nasty!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

I drank milk yesterday that was a day out of date and it was fine. Although you could tell it was on the way out, had a slightly odd texture. I won't touch anything with mould though. If theres mouldy bread in the press, I leave it there for the next unsuspecting family member

Advertisement