Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Silent Assassin's Betting Blog

Options
  • 12-08-2009 8:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭

Hi all,

I've recently found myself with a lot of spare time on my hands. A friend of mine in a similar spot has started blogging. He's doing movies but I figured I'd do something sports related as I'm a bit of a fanatic.

I've had decent success over the last 10 years or so with sports betting (particularly football). Although, I've never kept track, I definitely win more than I lose. So, I've decided to put my head on the block for the coming 2009/10 season and write a sports betting blog.

Each week I'll be giving 3 tips (and my reasons for choosing each) for the coming weekend: one banker (with odds of at least evens), one cheeky punt and a long term bet.

Now, this is my first ever blog. I haven't done any creative writing since the Leaving Cert nearly a decade ago. But, I'd be grateful to hear any feedback (positive or negative) on my writing style and/or the quality of my tips. I'll be updating the blog every Thursday and hopefully be doing a 'post-mortem' on the weekend's bets early each week.

Here's the link to my new blog:

http://thesilentassassinsbetting.blogspot.com/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Good luck mate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭SilentAssassin

Good luck mate.

Cheers :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,508 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

I'd eradicate terms like 'banker' from your blog vocabulary.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭soundsham

dsmythy wrote: »
    +1
    how long you banged up for:P

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭ghosttown

Interesting, nicely written, will follow it and see how you do ! Good luck.:)

• Advertisement

Duly noted. Although, looking at betting columns in newspapers, etc. isn't this a fairly common term?
    soundsham wrote: »
    +1
    how long you banged up for:P

These mobile broadband cards come in dead handy in The Joy...just kidding! :pac:
    ghosttown wrote: »
    Interesting, nicely written, will follow it and see how you do ! Good luck.:)

Thanks ghosttown. Appreciate the support!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Very well thought out and explained, looks impressive, will follow with interest best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

The word "banker" definitely does not belong in the lexicon of sports gambling! Put up a spread sheet of your bets too. If you're successful, it'll only help credibility.

Looks good otherwise though.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭thedini

Duly noted. Although, looking at betting columns in newspapers, etc. isn't this a fairly common term?

That's the problem, it's way overused and as such has lost all meaning. This is besides the fact that the word should have no place in sports betting.

GL with the blog.

Very well thought out and explained, looks impressive, will follow with interest best of luck!

Cheers. Let's just hope the tips work out well :D
    The word "banker" definitely does not belong in the lexicon of sports gambling! Put up a spread sheet of your bets too. If you're successful, it'll only help credibility.

Looks good otherwise though.
    thedini wrote: »
    That's the problem, it's way overused and as such has lost all meaning. This is besides the fact that the word should have no place in sports betting.

GL with the blog.

Thanks.

What word would you guys suggest using instead of banker? Would Nap be a better word to use? All suggestions welcome.

I'll definitely be keeping track of the bets. The goal with the 'banker bet' (as it's called now) will be to get at least two out of every three right. With odds of at least evens that should give a nice return. I haven't set goals for the other two bets yet, but I'll defintely be looking for them to return a profit.

• Advertisement

Coventry actually kicked off at 5/2 with Boylesports (2/1 when blog written).

Good start to the afternoon... Coventry and Notts County 1-0 up after 12 minutes. Fingers crossed!

Nerve wracking stuff....

Macc 0-3 Notts County
    Barnsley 0-1 Coventry

10 mins to go, come on!

Job done! 100% start to both weekend bets:

Maccs 0-4 Notts County (Evs)
    Barnsley 0-2 Coventry (5/2)

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Well done.

AARRRGH wrote: »
    Well done.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 10,508 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Nice start. Both opposed teams didn't even score.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Seillejet

It helps that your punts have come off, but really cool blog. Great style of informative without the bs imo style of writing. Most def added to my favs.

Seillejet wrote: »
    It helps that your punts have come off, but really cool blog. Great style of informative without the bs imo style of writing. Most def added to my favs.
    Nice start. Both opposed teams didn't even score.

Thanks. It's only one week, but it was great to get off to a good start!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Yeah, I'm always on for quality analysis to help with my decision making, so I'll be checking it out every week too.

I also use:

Bethelp.net
    Bettingzone.co.uk
    Mark Lawrenson on BBC.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭wb

Best of luck buddy - fair play for putting your thoughts down and out in public for scrutiny. Not as easy as people think! Well done.

• Advertisement

AARRRGH wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm always on for quality analysis to help with my decision making, so I'll be checking it out every week too.

I also use:

Bethelp.net
    Bettingzone.co.uk
    Mark Lawrenson on BBC.co.uk

The more (followers) the merrier! I'll definitely take a peek at those betting sites when doing my tips for next week. I've followed Lawrenson's tips for a number of years (more out of interest than using it in my betting thought process). He does fairly well most weeks but there's one or two teams that he notoriously gets wrong. I remember seeing a fans feature on Sky once about Fulham. Their fans always pray that Lawro has them down to lose, because when he does they usually win (and vice versa).
    wb wrote: »
    Best of luck buddy - fair play for putting your thoughts down and out in public for scrutiny. Not as easy as people think! Well done.

Thanks for your support. You're right, it's definitely not easy but I'll give it my best!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 millpool

Just seen this, brilliant idea! Will follow with interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Any last minute post for tonights football?

p.s: bookmarked!

millpool wrote: »
    Just seen this, brilliant idea! Will follow with interest.

Thanks
    funkyflea wrote: »
    Any last minute post for tonights football?

p.s: bookmarked!

Just seen your post. I toyed with the idea of backing burnley (+1) or (+2) based on their great performances against the big guns in the cup last year but I chickened out. Wish I had now..they're 1-0 up approaching half-time. Just starting my write-ups for the weekend now. Will have them up tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭bonzos

your name is not sean fitz by any chan:Dce?

Blog updated with tips for this week:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

Blog updated with tips for this week:

I'm liking this blog, bigtime! Keep it up!

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Scoobydooo

Really well written previews, Great work keep it up !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Boxfresh

Well written yeah, but it's the results that count. It's only early days yet

Advertisement