Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could Ryanair move from Dub-Shannon when M7 is finished

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,546 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Not EVERYONE who visits Ireland want to go to dublin

True. Not everyone who visits Northern France wants to goto Paris either. There are alternatives for these people to explore. Nobody lugs you straight onto the Paris bus when you toto Beauvais. But 95%+ still get on (bear in mind this is a non stop service until Paris)

But im just thinking, with the right planning and circumstance, it can work as a viable business prop

• Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭serfboard

Zoney wrote: »
    Not a bad idea either. Unlikely anything like that will happen though - I guess it'll just remain Shannon Airport. Too many parochial interests to accept anything else.

What will happen is that some brand consultants will be brought in, who'll charge an arm and a leg, and will conclude that "the Shannon name as a brand, has strong customer awareness ..."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Gruffalo

serfboard wrote: »
    What will happen is that some brand consultants will be brought in, who'll charge an arm and a leg, and will conclude that "the Shannon name as a brand, has strong customer awareness ..."

Dont forget to finish the sentence "amongst the US military".

Other than them, no one outside Ireland has a clue where Shannon is. Your earlier suggestion of renaming it was a good idea and therefore, it will never happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Rujib1

Zoney wrote: »
    I suppose they might try it for flights *to* Ireland but it would hardly succeed from Ireland.

Shannon should be renamed Limerick Airport (or Limerick Shannon Airport) anyway as that's the nearest major population centre, and Shannon isn't immediately obvious location-wise to those abroad given that the river traverses half the country - without looking at a detailed map of Ireland it's not obvious there's a little town called Shannon too.

Rename Limerick Airport :mad: You must be off your rocker :eek:

Nothing against Limerick, but nevertheless the very mention of the name Limerick conjures up all the wrong impressions. Unfairly I must say, but that what you get for having a lawless frontier right in the city. :cool:

R1

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭sonyair

when I was coming home from bulgaria at bourgas airport(2 years ago) the display at check-in said shannon limerick so they must of tried renaming it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

I read somewhere, quite possibly the aviation and aircraft forum, where there was a video of the director of Shannon Airport about renaming the airport.

When Shannon was first used, it was known as Rineanna. They now want to change it to Rihanna airport (yes, after that annoying singer) to entice more tourists!!:eek:

Today they announced moving flights from Manchester to Liverpool, Leeds and East Midlands. Why? Because of high landing charges.

I know the distance involved isn't as great as for Dublin to other Irish airports, but still it shows that hes willing to tell the bigwigs to sod off if needs be

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭markpb

Today they announced moving flights from Manchester to Liverpool, Leeds and East Midlands. Why? Because of high landing charges.

The comparison is disingenuous - Liverpool alone has a population of over 1.1m and a catchment much greater. Between those three airports, they'll easily make up the numbers lost from Manchester. The same cannot be said for Shannon which has a catchment of (much) less than half a million compared to Dublin's (in excess of) 1m.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Any idea what the landing charges are in Manchester? The article
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/8205445.stm
    says as low as £3 per passenger (which sounds cheap to me) but it doesn't say what they go up to.

I know the distance involved isn't as great as for Dublin to other Irish airports, but still it shows that hes willing to tell the bigwigs to sod off if needs be

The thing is though, it is only an hour (roughly) from Manchester to Leeds and Liverpool. Shannon might be a little too far.

Slightly off topic but this one could backfire on them though. Having lived in the North of England, I know that a lot of people who use Manchester do so because it has its own train station, from where you can access much of the North of England.

• Advertisement

Gruffalo wrote: »
    The thing is though, it is only an hour (roughly) from Manchester to Leeds and Liverpool. Shannon might be a little too far.

Slightly off topic but this one could backfire on them though. Having lived in the North of England, I know that a lot of people who use Manchester do so because it has its own train station, from where you can access much of the North of England.

True. I used to live in Sheffield and despite alternatives available in Leeds and Doncaster, the train to Manc Airport was usually the best option. Even if it was expensive-ish for the distance involved.

Plane-Train-City-Taxi Rank-House. Barely need to walk a step in the process

markpb wrote: »
    The comparison is disingenuous - Liverpool alone has a population of over 1.1m and a catchment much greater. Between those three airports, they'll easily make up the numbers lost from Manchester. The same cannot be said for Shannon which has a catchment of (much) less than half a million compared to Dublin's (in excess of) 1m.

While I agree with your point, you are dreaming if you think that bolded statement is true and certainly when the new motorways are introduced, which wont be too long, the realistic catchment area for Shannon is going to grow further. It will never replace Dublin airport though.

The catchment area for Dublin airport is practically the entire island.

True. I used to live in Sheffield and despite alternatives available in Leeds and Doncaster, the train to Manc Airport was usually the best option. Even if it was expensive-ish for the distance involved.

Plane-Train-City-Taxi Rank-House. Barely need to walk a step in the process

It is fantastic alright. I think more Irish people need to see that and they will realise one of the massive benefits offered by Metro North.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Gruffalo wrote: »
    It is fantastic alright. I think more Irish people need to see that and they will realise one of the massive benefits offered by Metro North.
    +Interconnector ;)

Advertisement