Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Nightlife Is ****

Options
124»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

madmac187 wrote: »
    I'm moving to Belfast now anyone experience of it? Whats going out like? Closing times? Places to go?

lol if you think it's bad here...
    latest drink you get there is 0100

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

As to the rest, you can't maintain public services without no money to pay for them; we pay less tax than nearly any European country and have one of the lowest rates of corporation taxes of any first world economy, so the way they fund stuff is by regressive taxation like VAT that disproportionately gets paid by the less well off....

And any party that proposed raising taxes to fund public services would get immediately undercut by another party promoting PD-style tax policies.

And the electorate would decamp there in their droves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭IRockUrSocks

Well our opening hours are still pretty much based on the legislation the British drew up to reduce workplace deaths in the munitions industry during the First World War...

As to the rest, you can't maintain public services without no money to pay for them; we pay less tax than nearly any European country and have one of the lowest rates of corporation taxes of any first world economy, so the way they fund stuff is by regressive taxation like VAT that disproportionately gets paid by the less well off... It's a rotten system, but sure we're Irish, we'll vote Fianna Fáil anyway...
    stovelid wrote: »
    And any party that proposed raising taxes to fund public services would get immediately undercut by another party promoting PD-style tax policies.

Christ, will we ever see a brighter day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Papad

Terry wrote: »
    I demand testimonials from the friends you made in these third world countries regarding the nightlife there (IP checks will be made).

Do not post in this thread again until you can meet at least two of the above demands.

Ah, Terry coming to the rescue of dear auld Ireland again.

This sums the Irish Nightlife up for me:
    barakus wrote: »
    Out foreign: ............ we were just looking at the locals having a night out, no-one seemed to be drunk, people were dancing salsa (or something like that) everyone just seemed to be having a really good time, chilled out and happy.

Just seemed to be way classier than a night out back home where its a f**kin race to get as hammered as possible before chucking out time then on to taxi/chipper/fight/house party.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

stovelid wrote: »

Yep... We're literally screwed... Although I do believe you could make a case for it if VAT and other regressive taxes were abolished..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭komodosp

Irish Nightlife Is ****
    Irish nightlife is four-star?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 jetrased

Hazys wrote: »
    The biggest problem with Irish nightlife is people's number one goal on a night out is to get sh1tfaced...while having fun is way down on the list.

I tend not to get hammered but happily tipsy but it wrecks my head when my buddies would come back from the bar with a load of shots and expects me to drink them and get him back later in the night. Im at happy stage of tipsy why do i need to cross the line to drunken mess?

Now that i live in the US, its the same story. My irish friends dont fit into the nightlife culture all that well, it usually ends up as a load of irish people in a dark corner of a pub getting sh1tfaced on their own and not interacting with the other people at the bar.

That seems strange that your friends end up in a corner on their own, What do you end up doing when they are doing this? Are you left to join them or can you mingle on your own?

I think the key is to make new friends, seems you stick wiht just your irish friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Mullers78

Cop on the lot of yee, life is what you make of it. Too many people out there feel as though they're owed something and that they have to be entertained.
    Suggestion......Go sit in Mulloys Pub on Talbot St in Dublin and listen to the general banter that goes on, or get thee to another country.

The crack is 90 in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Fringe wrote: »
    It's all because of the stupid laws. I don't know how they got passed.

so the government could try to justify their massive salaries

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 asti_mivec

Do you think a change in Government would help the current situation? I mean, Ireland has the same laws regarding nightlife as they did back in the 1950's. It's a joke in my opinion.

I don't think that a change in government presently would change a lot in any facet of current life in Ireland because the opposition don't offer any alternative views apart from disagreeing with everything...but that's a discussion for another thread! :D

I do agree that it's a joke though and there needs to be some serious changes across the board. Surely this is a matter of civil liberties too?! People work 24/7 all over Ireland these days, why can't pubs/clubs choose to do the same?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement