Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*****Spoiler*** UFC 101 results thread

Options
  • 08-08-2009 6:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭

No need to use spoilers in this thread. If you are posting a new thread, dont give any results away in the title

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

One thing about the show being in Philly is that from a live reaction stand point it has serious potential to be a trainwreck. As Philladelphia fans have an established rep for being assholes with major chip on their shoulder. Whose attitude is boo first then cheer. To the degree the fighter were warned about it
    UFC 101 Fighters warned to bring their 'A' Game

PHILADELPHIA -- During every UFC pre-fight press conference, the organization brings up the head of the state athletic commission to address the media and the fighters. Almost every time, the executive says little of substance, essentially welcoming the promotion and the fighters and talking about the general economic impact of the event. But Pennsylania Commission executive director Greg Sirb had his own agenda at UFC 101, and that was warning the fighters about the notorious Philly fans.

"I want to tell the fighters, this ain't Las Vegas or New Jersey, this is Philly," he said. "You can have great fights in Las Vegas, no disrespect, and great fights in New Jersey, no disrespect. This is Philly. It's a little different. People are going to expect it. You bring your A-game, they'll bring their A-game. You bring your B-game, and they'll bring their B-game. The B-game is you know what. They'll boo you no matter what here if you bring your B-game."

Given the perceptions of Anderson Silva's last two performances, Sirb's words seemed a bit ironic. Silva has been serenaded by boos during a win over Patrick Cote in which Cote suffered a freak, fight-ending knee injury, as well as a slow-paced five-round decision over Thales Leites.

His fight with Forrest Griffin is more likely to bring fireworks, however, as Griffin loves to come forward, and Silva keys off of his opponent's rhythms.

Sirb talked a bit about Philadelphia's history as a fight town, hosting bouts from some recent greats like Bernard Hopkins and Mike Tyson, and said he felt the city was looking forward to bringing a top-level fight promotion back.

This is the crowd who literally booed Santa.

Anyway fingers crossed for someone coming out to the Rocky theme.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

I was thinking about that earlier. I already know how the wrestling crowds in Philadelphia can be and I've heard that they've had their moments in other sports too. Although there's probably a lot of people from outside the state heading to the show because of the relatively few shows that part of the country gets

**** OFF ADS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Griifin and silva shud be great :)

• Advertisement

Gutsy little fight

Will Amir come out in a full body cast?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭mini5476

rovert wrote: »
    **** OFF ADS

Ya, these adds are seriously annoying.

LOL AMIR

• Registered Users Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

I wouldn't have stopped that!

• Advertisement

That was short

creggy wrote: »

Me neither

Those were some uppercuts and the referee is in a position of assessment we are not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Lone Kimono

I wouldn't have either, he wasn't badly hurt and those punches on the ground didnt seem to be connecting, I thought he could have left the fight go a few seconds longer and give a chance to get up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

A quick fight a little harsh on the stoppage although I did have 10 beans on hendrix so im not going to complain

Silva next?

What odds?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

A quick fight a little harsh on the stoppage although I did have 10 beans on hendrix so im not going to complain

Amir took 5 clean punches in a row and went down with one, not an early stoppage imo.

unknown13 wrote: »
    Amir took 5 clean punches in a row and went down with one, not an early stoppage imo.

Bet safe than sorry IMO and there is always a rematch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

What odds?

I play decimal odds it was 1.91

• Advertisement

Jay Bourne!

Thats the most noise the crowd have made all night, and its not even for the fight in the octagon.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Poor card so far.

Hopefully the co-main event will deliver.

Now this is the fight I'm most looking forward to.

Stupid BK ad making me hungry.

Stupid BK ad making me hungry.

and the amount of ads are making me want an Angry Whooper!

Silva got booed when he appeared on the big screen in the arena

All is forgiven Silva :D

Wat a knockout

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Holy Shít.

The Spider is a machine.

He was dodging punches like he was in the Matrix.

Unfúckingreal.

• Advertisement

That was unreal. Silva is just pure class.

Advertisement