Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you go out of your way to help someone?

Options
  • 07-08-2009 11:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭

I was just wondering what others do in situations where they see someone that needs some help,

be it a giving them a lift if they're waiting for a bus in the rain, helping a woman who's struggling with shopping bags, taking in a dog that may have legged it out of their house and finding the owner..

I sometimes do, not for karma or any of that shit, just seems like something that has to be done

So, are you altruistic?

Do you help people out? 78 votes

Yes, I help people
    0% 0 votes
    No, fcuk 'em
    92% 72 votes
    Depends, are they hot?
    7% 6 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

It's nice to be nice.:cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Yes. Some day it might be me needing help too. Karma... Ying/Yang...
    Its just the right thing to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭Cookie Jar

Em, I said yeah... but saying that there has been times where I haven't, but I generally do.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

I was just wondering what others do in situations where they see someone that needs some help,

be it a giving them a lift if they're waiting for a bus in the rain, helping a woman who's struggling with shopping bags, taking in a dog that may have legged it out of their house and finding the owner..

I sometimes do, not for karma or any of that shit, just seems like something that has to be done

So, are you altruistic?

Still need help with that badger, URL?

Yeah, I would.. the problem is though, and it's depressing, that people don't trust me (as a teenage lad), they always think I'm up to something when I've been brought up to help those who need it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

IBT URL, wait... what the?

Yeah I try my best to help people out. Sometimes like you said it just has to be done. Other times I do it for the good feeling it gives you that you've helped someone out even a little bit.

Main thing is though that people often mirror the attitude you have or the way you treat them, so I try to be nice and most of the time it comes back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Yup,I couldent walk past someone who needed a hand.

Being nice costs nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

I do sometimes, but if I'm in a hurry or something thing I don't bother. It depends like.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

I do on a regular basis but only for a few people.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Well I wouldn't pick up someone who was waiting for a bus in the rain! Ya never know what might happen!

I'd do anything else! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

No way. I would go out of my way to make life harder for people however. I'm a wanker though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

I will confess to deliberately not helping a few people who had done me a bad turn some time in the past. I must learn to forgive trivial things.:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

I believe its called "Bystander intervention".

My helpfulness would go along the basic lines of help, where there are other witnesses etc. Door opening... well thats it really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

I once helped a nun of the train and carried her bags for her....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

My boyfriend was super nice the other day. A little old man's rental car broke down in the middle of a busy road and my boyfriend was the only one to go and help him, everyone else just overtook him and beeped at him ... Himself could do nothing with the car (clutch was fecked or something) so he towed it off the road and to the hotel the man was staying in, and then he rang the rental company for him to get him a new car, coz the little old man was all stressed and freaking out, and then he helped him check in and everything.

So that's my good deed for the week done by proxy (It counts, doesn't it?! :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Helped a blind man cross the street the other day. With my good deed done I could be an absolute príck for the rest of the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

yeah, i always go out of my way to help someone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

I have a tendency to help good looking people more so than other folk. :confused: Shame on me before anyone else says it. I help the old too though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

When you help people out, You feel good after doing it, So yeah.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭soups05

i like to help out when i can, was on my way to get petrol one night and stopped in the lashing rain to help a guy broke down at the side of the road.

i left my engine running and after about ten mins trying to help him MY car ran out of fuel.turned out my gauge was stuck. we both had a laugh and been great friends ever since.

irony was that i was working in a local petrol station at the time and we both broke down about half a mile from it. took forever for the staff to stop slagging me.

:D

oh, and it turned out he ran out of petrol too. gave us a common bond.

both stupid :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭markok84

I don't do it as much anymore because it always got construed that I had an "agenda" for being helpful in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭PhysiologyRocks

Yes, I care about people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

Yeah, would help someone if they needed, likewise I would hope someone would help me if i needed it.

Now who wants to do the shopping, house cleaning and cooking for me tomorrow :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Few years ago i was in a restaurant on a first date, sitting at a window seat when i seen a blind man walking along the road with his guide dog, then a few minutes later he walked by again and again a few minutes after. I watched him the third time and when he got to a corner, the dog started pulling him left, then pulling him straight then pulling him left. I got up and when out to see if i could help, turns out he was lost. He asked was he near a tube station, but he was nowhere near one, so i walked with him to a station, which was about a 30 minute walk.
    On the way he told me how his old dog had died a few weeks before and his new guide dog had got him lost, he takes the same walk everyday for the last 8 years, but this was his first time alone with the new dog. He was almost in tears telling me about the old dog and i would say he was glad of the company, but i didn't mind as he had had a very interesting life. When we got to the tube station we spent another half an hour chatting before i realised how long i was away from the restaurant, and had to get a taxi back. Of course when i got back my date had left about 30 minutes after i left, but i didn't really care, helping him out was worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Senna wrote: »
    Few years ago i was in a restaurant on a first date, sitting at a window seat when i seen a blind man walking along the road with his guide dog, then a few minutes later he walked by again and again a few minutes after. I watched him the third time and when he got to a corner, the dog started pulling him left, then pulling him straight then pulling him left. I got up and when out to see if i could help, turns out he was lost. He asked was he near a tube station, but he was nowhere near one, so i walked with him to a station, which was about a 30 minute walk.
    On the way he told me how his old dog had died a few weeks before and his new guide dog had got him lost, he takes the same walk everyday for the last 8 years, but this was his first time alone with the new dog. He was almost in tears telling me about the old dog and i would say he was glad of the company, but i didn't mind as he had had a very interesting life. When we got to the tube station we spent another half an hour chatting before i realised how long i was away from the restaurant, and had to get a taxi back. Of course when i got back my date had left about 30 minutes after i left, but i didn't really care, helping him out was worth it.

You sound so lovely and that is the nicest story :)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Senna wrote: »

Nice one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

A woman's car broke down on O'Connell Bridge in Dublin recently as I was waiting at the pedestrian lights at the other end of the bridge. Not one person stopped to help her until I walked by about a minute later, even though the bridge was packed with pedestrians and cars. After I went over to ask if she needed a push, I tried asking other people for help and it took about another half minute until two lads obliged. Everyone else said sorry, in a rush. I thought no-one would need to think twice about helping!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭dimejinky99

Have done many times and always hope to, but weirdly its usually strangers or people I dont know. Do it for friends and theyre left feeling they owe you. Randomers it's different.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

I help people most days, give me an inner sense of well being. I also believe in karma, do good onto other people and it will revisit you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

Voltwad wrote: »
    Helped a blind man cross the street the other day. With my good deed done I could be an absolute príck for the rest of the day.

Hahaha!

But yeah, I'm a firm believer of karma and also it does give you a good feeling to have helped out someone, whether they be friends or complete strangers.

As other posters have wrote, it costs nothing to be nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

perhaps, as long as they weren't poor obv.

Advertisement