Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NFL on Sky TV?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭UhOh

hopefully ESPN gets the rights to the extra content such as Total Access/Playbook etc. I'm sick off Sky pulling those shows at the last minute because of the Ofcom regualtions/product placement issue.

Hopefully Skys Sunday Night coverage stays as is. Given the economic climate & the fact the NFL is a fringe sport over here Sky probably dont want to shell out what the NFL are looking for price wise.......

• Registered Users Posts: 10,230 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

UhOh wrote: »
    hopefully ESPN gets the rights to the extra content such as Total Access/Playbook etc. I'm sick off Sky pulling those shows at the last minute because of the Ofcom regualtions/product placement issue.

You realise that ESPN will be governed by the same regulations?

Dodge wrote: »
    You realise that ESPN will be governed by the same regulations?

no it won't, ESPN America isnt based in the UK so it wont be affected.....watch any of the US broadcasts they have, product placement left, right & center. As far as I know it operates out of Dublin, hence why it's unaffected

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

no it won't, ESPN America isnt based in the UK so it wont be affected.....watch any of the US broadcasts they have, product placement left, right & center. As far as I know it operates out of Dublin, hence why it's unaffected

ESPN have setup in the UK now. All operations are due to move to London soon enough. One of my buddies works for setanta and he looked after NASN/ESPN America and he wont be in the next couple of weeks as Setanta lose control of them.

Any broadcastor who uses the sky platform (amongst others) are bound by ofcom's regulations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

Hopefully everything will be on Sky like last season, I don't think I'll be able to afford Skysports and ESPN.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭SlimJ

So since I haven't yet seen a link for the schedule of games that will be broadcasted, can I assume it's still up in the air?

Second question: Is Busker's still the best bet for watching the games in town? I know The Portobello showed many of the games last year, but if there's kickball on at the same time the football gets relegated to a single fuzzy screen in the back.

Is there anywhere that shows NFL games that isn't sh1t? (no offense to the good people of the aforementioned pubs, of course)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

SlimJ wrote: »
    So since I haven't yet seen a link for the schedule of games that will be broadcasted, can I assume it's still up in the air?

Second question: Is Busker's still the best bet for watching the games in town? I know The Portobello showed many of the games last year, but if there's kickball on at the same time the football gets relegated to a single fuzzy screen in the back.

Is there anywhere that shows NFL games that isn't sh1t? (no offense to the good people of the aforementioned pubs, of course)
    Yeah I'm looking forward to hearing where might b good to watch the games.

woolshed or buskers

woolshed or buskers
    Do 'real' fans actually go to these places to watch the games together?. Do lads wear their colours and all?.

• Advertisement

Leslie91 wrote: »
    Do 'real' fans actually go to these places to watch the games together?. Do lads wear their colours and all?.

Yes to both of them. Alot of the IAFL players go between the two. DCU I think use buskers alot. jdivision will be able to answer that better. I used to go to woolshed alot and always has fans in their gear for games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Royal Seahawk

Any word on Sky's plans this season yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭thecross1

its maddness to watch soccer on tv u have to have espn sky or setanta u need to have a lot of cash to follow ur team

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

Still no sign of an update. It will all be on the NFLUK home page so it's probably best to keep checking there.

thecross1 wrote: »
    its maddness to watch soccer on tv u have to have espn sky or setanta u need to have a lot of cash to follow ur team

Thats only if your team is British

Have no idea what following Soccer on TV has to do with this topic.

Is it? Good man wrong sport :rolleyes:

Well at least something has been confirmed. Five have come to an agreement to show Sunday Night Football Live.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Sea Devils wrote: »
    Well at least something has been confirmed. Five have come to an agreement to show Sunday Night Football Live.

Yeah which may suck for us unless Sky also show SNF as well. I know we can get Five through Sky but you can't Sky+ it which is a pain if you have work the next morning.

I had hoped that all NFL would be on either Sky or ESPN so that I have the option to Sky+ games that I have to miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

Yeah which may suck for us unless Sky also show SNF as well. I know we can get Five through Sky but you can't Sky+ it which is a pain if you have work the next morning.

I had hoped that all NFL would be on either Sky or ESPN so that I have the option to Sky+ games that I have to miss.

Ye it sucks in a way but I'm realived its definately on. A few bad things with it being Five is obviousely the Sky + things and also its not on UPC AFAIK. You would hope that TV3, the 'FTA partner' here would show it like the SB, I mean if it was anything like their SB coverage it would be peanuts in cost but I'm not holding my breath.

• Advertisement

I agree that it does suck in that you can't Sky+ any of the games from Five but looking at it from a positive angle it does mean (hopefully) that an announcement isn't too far off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

Did Five not show matches last year?
    Sky still is showing Total Access so I'd imagine that they still are in negotiations to keep their deal as it has been. Dont panic until opening day lads!

frostie500 wrote: »
    Did Five not show matches last year?

Five showed both SNF and MNF last year but I think it was around December where potentially it looked as if they had dropped their US Coverage of Sports which fortunately never happenned:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

The good news for those of us hoping that SNF will be also broadcast on Sky or ESPN is that nowhere in that press release does it mention that the rights are exclusive. So that would at least suggest that someone else may carry SNF which would be great.

And the list of confirmed SNF games looks pretty mouthwatering:

Sunday September 13 Chicago Bears @ Green Bay Packers
    Sunday September 20 New York Giants @ Dallas Cowboys
    Sunday September 27 Indianapolis Colts @ Arizona Cardinals
    Sunday October 4 San Diego Chargers @ Pittsburgh Steelers
    Sunday October 11 Indianapolis Colts @ Tennessee Titans
    Sunday October 18 Chicago Bears @ Atlanta Falcons
    Sunday October 25 Arizona Cardinals @ New York Giants
    Sunday November 1 TBC (World Series)
    Sunday November 8 Dallas Cowboys @ Philadelphia Eagles
    Sunday November 15 New England Patriots @ Indianapolis Colts

SNF is basically the first choice game of the weekend. Doesn't always work out that way but it'd be a pai to go back to watching it on the net

The good news for those of us hoping that SNF will be also broadcast on Sky or ESPN is that nowhere in that press release does it mention that the rights are exclusive.

exactly. I think Sky will still have it aswell. Apparently there'll be another announcement early next week on the TV deal. I'd guess Sky will keep all their Sunday coverage with MNF switching to ESPN. As long I can get to see as much NFL as I did last year on TV I dont mind.

Sea Devils wrote: »
    Five showed both SNF and MNF last year but I think it was around December where potentially it looked as if they had dropped their US Coverage of Sports which fortunately never happenned:)
    5 and Sky showed sunday and monday night football last year did they?. Mad.

I've no access to Five on UPC. Anyone know why that is?, seems strange that we have all the other 'terrestrial' British channels but no Five.

Five have stated they've no interest in bieng shown in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,258 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

This sucks. Having lost ESPN America after the Setanta package went kaput (I'm on UPC digital as opposed to Sky), if enough games go to ESPN I'm just going to cancel Sky completely and run with ESPN only for my sporting options.

Thus far, competition is not proving to be good for the customer in terms of American football and soccer. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    This sucks. Having lost ESPN America after the Setanta package went kaput (I'm on UPC digital as opposed to Sky), if enough games go to ESPN I'm just going to cancel Sky completely and run with ESPN only for my sporting options.

Thus far, competition is not proving to be good for the customer in terms of American football and soccer. :(

Good for the sports organisations and players when Setanta was around as it created actual competition for rights to such things as the NFL and SPL. Bad for the consumer as Sky charged the same and Setanta likewise. Now though with ESPN clearly in bed with Sky(I would say collusion but don't know how that would go down in some quarters), prices for rights are going down, subs are staying high and sports are more fragmented more. God damn EU.

Advertisement