Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Urgent. Neighbour complaining about barking dog

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭kildara

martyeds wrote: »
    I posted a thread on here a few months ago about our 2 year old dog and her non stop barking, and admittedly we took no action and now things have came to a head today.
    A neighbour came to our house to complain about the dogs barking and said that it is making her life hell. She said she is working night shift and the dogs constant barking is keeping her awake. She said she is going to take the matter further.

The dog is in the backyard during the day while myself and my wife are at work (the backyard is secure and the dog cannot escap)
    She is inside at night time and does not bark.

Is this classed as anti social behaviour and what would the consequences be if she does report the dog to someone?

Does anyone know how i should approach this matter. I was thinking of going to speak to the neighbour but i want to know legally where we both stand on the matter.

Thanks.

PS I dont intend to go around and cause any trouble.
    I would agree with calling to see your neighbour, apologise and admit that you appreciate her being fed up etc, but explain that you will take steps to sort it out. It will take time and you need her to be patient, its not going to happen overnight.
    As to how you sort it out, I'm not too sure.

You say the dog barks when someone walks past the house. Can you block the view so the dog doesn't see people going by?

You can also use the Kong toys, as suggested above too. Freeze them overnight and give it to him just before you leave. Do a search for Kong and you will get plenty of idea's for what to put into them.
    Give him a bone either, they keep ours entertained for quite a while.

You can also get collars that spray the dog when it barks. I think they have some sort of citronella that is unpleasant for the dog but I assume plain water would have the same effect.
    You can get remote control collars - which would be better for you to train yourself, as you press the button to emit the spray when you want, rather than every time the dog barks. This is better because there are times that you don't want to prevent the dog barking - for example if somebody is jumping over your wall, you dont want the dog to be afraid to bark for fear of getting sprayed.
    One problem with the automatic-type spray collar is that if a dog beside your dog barks, it can triger the spray (don't know if this will be an issue for you though).
    martyeds wrote: »
    Thanks for your replies.
    I will call to see her tomorrow and take it from there.
    Did you go to see her?
    How did it go?

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Phenix

Hashslining you should not have a dog....or anything else under your supervision for that matter.! YOU DO NOT TRAIN A DOG BY HURTING/HITTING/SHOCKING. Just because 'its an animal' as you put it does not mean they cannot be trained without using physical punishment.
    OP please do not resort to hitting your dog or using shock collars. where are you based? Dogs training ireland (based near Finglas) are running a course on 19th of August called 'Bark Bark Bark'. Its a traingin course for you and your dog to go to and train the dog not to bark at certain things. My dog barks every time the bell goes, if a bell on the tv goes, if someone walks by the window etc so i am going to the course to find a way to train him not to do this. The course is from 7-9 and cost €35. Maybe if you can sign up for this and show you neighbour you are going they might see you are doing something and give you a few weeks to get the problem sorted. i have attached the website if you want to sign up.

http://www.dogtrainingireland.ie/seminars_workshops.php

Advertisement