Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Carroll saga - AIB giving joe soap the fingers

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭BendiBus

After all, we can only recoup what we pay for the land & empty apartment blocks if prices rise to 2005-2006 levels

Plus any revenue stream generated from actual loan repayments. Less the discount NAMA gets on the loan.

So:

A developer borrows 100 million.
    NAMA buys debt for 70 million.
    Developer repays 20 million before defaulting.
    Then NAMA only needs to raise 50 million from the sale of the asset to break even.
    i.e half the peak price

I've no idea what the actual percentages will work out at, but is the logic of the above correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

BendiBus wrote: »
    Plus any revenue stream generated from actual loan repayments. Less the discount NAMA gets on the loan.

So:

NAMA buys debt for 70 million.
    Developer repays 20 million before defaulting.
    Then NAMA only needs to raise 50 million from the sale of the asset to break even.
    i.e half the peak price

I've no idea what the actual percentages will work out at, but is the logic of the above correct?
    Your maths is right but more likely what will happen is the following:
    NAMA buys debt for 70 million => bank loses 30m
    Developer repays ~0m before defaulting => realistically they will probably default as soon as Nama are in control of the loan
    Then NAMA needs to raise 70 million => not likely for a long long time

Then you have the risk that the bank needs to be able to handle the 30m loss too or they'll want more money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Imposter wrote: »
    Developer repays ~0m before defaulting => realistically they will probably default as soon as Nama are in control of the loan

I agree. It's crazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭BendiBus

Imposter wrote: »
    realistically they will probably default as soon as Nama are in control of the loan

This is the bit I have difficulty accepting. Is it based on anything other than conspiracy theory? It sounds like cynicism & bitterness rather than a reasoned conclusion.

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Don't resurrect zombie threads!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement