Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Counties with Motorway

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭nordydan

Tipperary
    Kildare
    Dublin
    Meath
    Galway

are the top five. See attached:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭chewed

I stand corrected! I actually thought it was only motorway from after the boarder!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I haven't done any calculations - but I would reckon Kildare and Tipperary would top the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

well, seeing as most counties will have motorways by 2010, of the counties that will be left without motorways, I wonder how many don't even have dual carriageways? Kerry currently doesn't have any but the Castleisland bypass (currently under construction and the only new project to go ahead since the cutbacks) will have dual carriageway when it is completed in Q4 of next year.Are there other counties that have neither motorways or DCs? I imagine at this stage, just a small minority of counties or is Kerry the only one without either currently?

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭JayeL

ongarboy wrote: »
    Are there other counties that have neither motorways or DCs?

Monaghan has a 2+1 but no DC. Mayo has nothing close to DC. And amazingly, I think that's it. Offaly just scrapes in, as does Roscommon. I think that Longford has small one in the Dromod-Roosky 2+2. And Kerry will have a very short one in Castleisland. But that's it, doing ok really!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

chewed wrote: »
    I stand corrected! I actually thought it was only motorway from after the boarder!

In fairness, it will only be a couple of hundred metres from the county boundary. I had neglected to mention that there is also slightly less than 1km of the M4 in Dublin also - from the J5 demerge to the bridge over the Liffey.

The M11 in Dublin is also pretty short. Really, Dublin's only two main motorways are the M1 and M50.
    Monaghan has a 2+1 but no DC

If it is a "true" 2+1 (ie. D2+1 - with a barrier in the middle, as opposed to a climbing lane (S2+1) which some people equate to the same thing), then that is strictly speaking a dual carriageway. Indeed you can have a dual carriageway with one lane in each direction (D1) - it is the barrier between the carriageways that makes it "dual" and not the number of lanes each way.

As for counties without a dual carriageway, Kerry, Mayo, and Cavan are the only ones which spring to mind at the top of my head.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Monaghan's T3DC does certainly have a barrier down the middle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭Skyhater

icdg wrote: »
    As for counties without motorways, Donegal will never have any (well, I doubt it)......
    Never say never. I believe they are planning on running a HQDC (that will probably be designated motorway) from the A5 DC to Letterkenny.
    icdg wrote: »
    If it is a "true" 2+1 (ie. D2+1 - with a barrier in the middle, as opposed to a climbing lane (S2+1) which some people equate to the same thing), then that is strictly speaking a dual carriageway. ....
    Yes, The Castleblayney By-Pass has barriers down the middle and thus officially is a DC.
    Don't get me started on it though. A "new build" road should never be a 2+1... It's just a waste of money. 10% extra investment would have given a 2+2. I've hear that Monaghan county council argued this point with the NRA, but the NRA were determined to go ahead with their "pilot scheme".

This N2 (at least from the N33 to the Border) is likely to be upgraded to at least 2+2 if not HQDC when/if we get out of this economic mess. This will link up with the A5 DC.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

NRA were probably under pressure from "road safety experts" who assumed that because Sweden has 2+1s and a low death rate that they were the ultimate panacea, and as a result had to "trial" them.

Unfortunately they trialled them far too bloody often! Once was enough, not the three (N2/N20/N24) we ended up with.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,896 ✭✭✭✭Stark

The big problem with the 2+1s was how badly the NRA implemented them, rather than the concept itself. Having only a few hundred metres at a time to overtake just makes the whole thing grind to a halt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭shovelsfc

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Just 5 or so years ago, the only motorways in the country were all in Leinster, and in a handful of Eastern counties at that: Dublin, Kildare (the first county to have motorway), Wicklow (albeit 1 km!), Meath, Louth and Laois.

But with the rollout of the MIUs, how this has changed. Now ALL the historic 4 provinces have motorway (In Ulster's case, I mean NI of course)

Here's my list of counties that now have sections motorway within their boundaries:

Dublin
    Kildare
    Meath
    Wicklow
    Louth
    Laois
    Cork
    Westmeath
    Offaly
    Roscommon
    Tipperary
    Carlow
    Limerick
    Clare

and soon:
    Galway
    Kilkenny

where is bypassed in roscommon? ballinasloe....athlone road!

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭shovelsfc

JayeL wrote: »
    Monaghan has a 2+1 but no DC. Mayo has nothing close to DC. And amazingly, I think that's it. Offaly just scrapes in, as does Roscommon. I think that Longford has small one in the Dromod-Roosky 2+2. And Kerry will have a very short one in Castleisland. But that's it, doing ok really!

agree with you there!

shovelsfc wrote: »
    where is bypassed in roscommon? ballinasloe....athlone road!

Nowhere. But its got a motorway, either way.

The 'problem' with longer 2+1 sections is when you get stuck on a long stretch of the +1 behind a very slow vehicle that doesn't use the laybys to let you pass. Even when laybys are explicitly signed for slow vehicles to pull in to let people pass (on the N14 where new ones were built and signed for this purpose) Irish drivers NEVER do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭Skyhater

MYOB wrote: »
    NRA were probably under pressure from "road safety experts" who assumed that because Sweden has 2+1s and a low death rate that they were the ultimate panacea, and as a result had to "trial" them.
    But the 2+2 proposed by Monaghan Co Co would have given better safety, better driving experience, better everything for 10% extra spend.
    Maybe a 2+1 is justified when retrofitting existing roads to improve safety, but not for a new build.
    I don't know for sure, but I would be surprised if the Swedes build any new 2+1's.
    MYOB wrote: »
    Unfortunately they trialled them far too bloody often! Once was enough, not the three (N2/N20/N24) we ended up with.
    Totally Agree!!! One or two retrofits would have given them the information they required.
    Stark wrote:
    The big problem with the 2+1s was how badly the NRA implemented them, rather than the concept itself. Having only a few hundred metres at a time to overtake just makes the whole thing grind to a halt.
    That's only one of the problems. Not having a hard shoulder or adequate amount of lay-by's is another. There's also little/no room to slow down before a left turn.
    And as MYOB says if you make the 2 lane stretch longer, traffic gets backed up on the 1 stretch behind a tractor or something. It's a balance that cannot be achieved with any kind of success.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

mike65 wrote: »
    Waterford will not have motorway cos the M9 will turn into a city road by the time it reaches the county/city border.

See pic

The N25 being single carriageway will be waiting a long time.

That's one nice pic! (Is that another collapsed railway bridge I see?)

The M9 looks like it is aimed at the toll plaza across the river; the N25, N24 and M9 seem to be joined up in the style of the Luas lines in Dublin!

Was this the original plan or did those Vikings get in the way?

Wild Bill wrote: »
    That's one nice pic! (Is that another collapsed railway bridge I see?)

Section was deliberately removed and remains on CIE land somewhere in Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Wild Bill wrote: »
    Was this the original plan or did those Vikings get in the way?

That was the original plan. The Vikings got in the way on the south side of the river, at Woodstown (follow the road across the bridge in the pic towards the right, and it's about 4 km out that way).

If you look at Open Street Map you can see the path of the road that's under construction and how it swings around near the junction of the new road and the Outer Ring (R710), taking a path between the new WIT campus and the Woodstown viking site.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,269 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Moved to Infrastructure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Kerry – not in the corridor
    The National Spatial Strategy sets out an ambitious plan for the integrated development of a national transport and development infrastructure. part of this is the Atlantic Corridor, which runs down the west coast, but bypasses Kerry. The result could be that the county will be left on the side-lines according to Mossie Carey from Wateville.

THE Atlantic Corridor is a quality road link that will run through every coastal county in Ireland from Donegal to Waterford - except Kerry. It is that part of the Gateways Initiative which determines the future of all coastal counties - including Kerry!

The Gateways Initiative has the more descriptive title of Gateway Investment Priorities, chief amongst them being 'completion of the major inter-urban routes between Dublin and Belfast, Cork, Limerick, Galway and Waterford and improved road and transport links between the Gateways.'

These cities were given priority in the National Development Plan and the National Spatial Strategy added Letterkenny, with emphasis on its link with Derry, as Dublin had earlier been linked to Belfast. But it also added Dundalk, Sligo and Athlone-MullingarTullamore as a linked Midland Gateway. Yet the book on future investment in the country was not closed; for when the Gateways Initiative was set up it admitted the hope that other Gateways would be identified.

We can now see into the future, not as prophets but as ordinary readers who can see what has been planned for us at the highest level of Government. The plan comes to fruition as we read. 'Completion of the major inter-urban roads,' says the plan and work on the Gort Bypass is proudly proclaimed as part of the Atlantic Corridor.

Everywhere we go in the country the major road improvements lead from one Gateway to the other. These schemes are truly major developments, frequently running across the entire width or length of a county that forms a link between the Gateways. The income to those counties from these improvements is enormous.

We can even see how this situation has come about; for the Gateways Initiative is clear that it 'must draw its support from constituent local authorities (county councils) and their plans and programmes.' Every county whose future was being decided by the Gateways Initiative sent representatives from the county council and they, in turn, involved leaders of industry, tourism and institutes of technology or universities. Every county had several representatives at the table - except Kerry, which had none.

The result of this is that Kerry is not in the Atlantic Corridor. The quality road will run directly from Limerick, through Mallow, to Cork without, it appears, any murmur of opposition from a single TD, county councillor or executive of Kerry County Council. On this road our tourists will go sailing by.

At the time the National Development Plan was published, Kerry had already declined from being the eighth poorest county in the country to the second poorest and that decline coincided with the lifetime of the County Development Plan 19962003. But the new County Development Plan strengthened the anti development objectives and weakened those that support it - and yet another this year has done the same. That attitude is surely consistent with the decision not to participate in the Gateways Initiative.

The unstated decision to promote tourism above all else rather than beside all else has been taken and is being diligently followed, without regard to economic return. No other county went down while the country was going up. No other county saw one contiguous county, Cork, rise from 13 per cent richer to 16 per cent richer and another contiguous county, Limerick, rise from 13 per cent to 17 per cent richer than we are in terms of disposable income per head.

At the time the Gateways Initiative was set up only Donegal was poorer than this county but nobody can fail to note that Donegal is firmly in the Gateways Initiative.

Policy making in the county has not been captured by a sectional interest but the illusion of one; for there is no indication that hoteliers in the county support it. So they shouldn't, as the premier position of tourism in this county could well be the next to go in this ongoing process of decline. The Gateways Initiative Report is careful to note the strengths of Gateways and their regions in all areas of economic activity but when it came to discussing tourism there is no mention of Kerry or Killarney in its 120 or so pages. Instead, it goes beyond the National Development Plan and National Spatial Strategy and pleads with the Government to make the Gateways the premier tourist locations. ' The Gateways are highly important to the Irish Tourism sector and a large proportion of tourism activity is attributable to the Gateways,' it proclaims in tautological terms before leading into the real intention.

'Our view is therefore that there must be a change of perspective in tourism planning with a recognition that Gateways are essential drivers of tourism for their regions and not centres from which tourism needs to be diverted.'

If Killarney or Kerry as a whole were to be considered in the Cork or Cork-Limerick Gateway Region there is no indication there that it has a present strength on which the Gateways Initiative would build. The call for a new perspective is a call not to recognise what pertains at present but to legislate for what will pertain with the controlled provision of investment. The call has gone surprisingly far in stating clearly that there should be no need for the new centre to divert tourism elsewhere. This means it need not be diverted to Killarney or Kerry, where it had resided until it was carefully planned away from there.

Such an intention would never have been declared if a single person from Kerry had sat at the Gateways Initiative table. But we can understand it, as Professor F.M. L Thompson understood it at the end of his monumental study on the decline of the Landed Gentry. "The position a class reaches due to its own leadership becomes the new starting point for those who wish to weaken its position further," he noted with most chilling and disturbing accuracy. This position may still be reversed if the tourism industry, supported by others, takes the leadership into its own hands and have Tralee-KillarneyCastleisland declared as a linked Kerry Gateway.

Mossie Carey DipEnvDev is Environmental Manager with MF Quirke and Sons. All opinion expressed here are his own.

The biggest pile of rubbish I ever read!

http://www.kerryman.ie/lifestyle/kerry-x2013-not-in-the-corridor-1887363.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 benralph

chewed wrote: »
    Can the M3 be considered to be in Dublin since it only begins after Clonee, in Co. Meath?

Mayo remains the only county in connaght not to have a dual carriageway/motorway! but when the N17 tuam-claremorris road is replaced, its possible the M17 may be extended north as far as the claremorris bypass. resulting in mayo having a motorway! to be fair mayo doesn't deserve a motorway going on traffic volumes compared to other counties.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭deiseman21

this thread is just a bit irish really, shouldn't it really be called "what are the destinations in ireland served by motorway":D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

More a bit pointless than a bit Irish! But it gets the "county" thing going; so I'll be backing Dublin against Kerry.....:mad:

Advertisement