Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are we "The Dirty Irish"

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

i juat wish irish can be naughtier :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

dublin is a very dirty town to look at in general, the liffey next to houston station stinks and is filled with every type of rubbish under the sun, every second building along the quays is boarded up anyway, dublin corporation think that by putting a bit of boarding up in front of an empty site in the city centre nobody will notice :rolleyes:

down d'olier street the times building is an awful eyesore, then again people don't visit dublin for the sights like they do london, new york or paris, foreigners go to dublin to drink themselves silly in temple bar until they vomit, country people visit dublin to score in coppers :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

Are we "The Dirty Irish"

Aren't you "English" :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭Ibrahimovic91

Lyon makes Dublin look like Stockholm. I'm not a racist(proof i was banned last week for insulting a racist jonjo on here) but these cities have like slums and parts resemble algeria for example more than france. ireland doesn't have these sort of conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭mickos

I'm from a small village and nobody there ever litters. The tidy towns committee are like the gestapo:D Speak for yourself we're not all dirty feckers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

I took a stroll along Portmarnock Beach over the week end and the amount of fcukers letting their dogs cut off rope was unbelievable.

This big pikey lookin dude with a boxer on a lead, head on him like a can of "blown" Chum(the dog owner) Ireland flag tatts covring his forearms.

Anyway halfway down the beach the Boxer starts "dragging" and pointing the cigar cutter toward the sand.

Just before a group of kids making sandcastles Chumhead stops and The Boxer spools up and dumps the most revolting heap of dogshíte I have ever seen right near where the kids were playing, like a fcukin Burrito slathered in Taco sauce with salsa dressing!! A steaming load!!

Chummer totally ignores the 99 with strawberry and toffee dressing left by the dog and just walks on.

A lady who had seen the incident challenged him and all I heard was
    "Shut the fcuk up or his next ****e will down your throat"

Have we no shame.??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

rossie1977 wrote: »
    dublin is a very dirty town to look at in general, the liffey next to houston station stinks and is filled with every type of rubbish under the sun

It's all just an unpatriotic rumour started by those West-Brits, Bagatelle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭CatacombKittens

In London at the mo and even though it's overpopulated it's still relatively cleaner.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

mikemac wrote: »
    Do cities have an equivalent of the Tidy Towns competition?

It's huge in rural areas.
    I have seen those towns, they have littering alright, the streets are littered with bins, it would be hard to drop stuff on the ground without a bin getting in the way. Seriously, in many places in dublin you will not find a bin at all. People are also scared to be seen putting rubbish in other peoples bins due to the bin charges (i.e. when I was a kid we would stick rubbish in peoples bins on the roads). I have only seen 1-2 bins in dublin housing estates in all my life, the ones in the city are often overflowing.
    Ever been to Italy?

We're far from Europe's dirtiest. Spain's fairly dirty too I find.
    The self-depricators put on blinkers when on holidays...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

vinylmesh wrote: »
    YORE MA IS DOORTY :D!

Not one, but two ninja edits.

/bows in respect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Prof.Badass

stovelid wrote: »
    Not one, but two ninja edits.

/bows in respect.

Then a not-so stealthy repost :(.

Anyway,

Whatever about the rest of us,

YOUR MA SURE IS DOORTY :D!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Purple Gorilla

God..if a foreigner was to come on to boards and read all these depressing threads they'd think we're all suicidal about Ireland. If ye hate it so much and complain about it so much then emigrate..and none of this "I plan too" crap because you know you won't..

Be happy people. If you're not apart of the solution, you're apart of the problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

A lot of it is down to the simple denial of reality by the various CoCos.

They don't empty the litter bins and moan when they overflow onto the street. The CoCo workers make no attempt to clean the streets properly because they have the attitude that "sure it'll only get dirty again, why should I bother?" Because it's you job you idle bastard. Clean the streets today and clean them again tomorrow, earn your paycheque. If the streets were clean to start with and there were adequate empty litter bins peoples attitudes would change.

They don't make it easy for people to dispose of the waste that naturally occurs in life, matresses, old boxes etc. What are people who live in the centre of towns and cities supposed to do? Take them on the bus to the dump? Local Govt Officials, get a grip, you usless gobshytes.

I could go on all night, I live in France, my bins are emptied every night( 6 am), yes, every night and the streets are swept and washed down every night. They are cleaned throughout the day by workers who live locally and care about their town. There are free dispensers for plastic bags to put you dog shyte in. Not only that, they refill the dispensers when they are empty.

It's just getting the basics right, then the kids grow up expecting to live in a clean environment. I hate to say it, but Ireland, not just the big cities, is a filthy kip and no one cares enough to do anything about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 another1

i am a foreigner and must say - I've seen much worse places /regarding rubbish on the streets,etc...so calm down -that's not the big problem here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Where I live in Sandycove it's not too bad, unless of course the sun comes out and all the ferengi seem to think its ok to visit the beach, drink ten cans of dutch gold, smoke 40 major and change the twins nappies three times, then **** off and leave it all for someone else to pick up. In fairness to DL council though, they are pretty quick to clear it up.

The one thing that really bugs me about Ireland though, is dog**** on the pavements. I'm a dog owner and I don't let my dog crap of the pavement and when she does crap somewhere, I always clear it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Dublin has come on leaps and bounds from what it used to be. Every footpath in the city had plastic bags beside them. You don't see much of that now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Mr.Pong

Yes, we are filthy apes who must be taught to be civilised. The old english anit-irish propaganda has worked wonders on some folks here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

In London at the mo and even though it's overpopulated it's still relatively cleaner.
    Westminster is spotless becasue the Goverment and Tourists hang out there .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Kalashnikov_Kid

Anywhere outside the tourist hotspots in London, barring the odd exception (Kensington, Wimbledon, Canary Wharf), is a total dump.

Though Ive lived in Cardiff and tbh it must be contender for dirtiest capital city in Europe. If you dont believe me, look here: http://www.holytaco.com/wel

And trust me, its like that on an average Saturday night, not just after a 6nations match. And judging by the blog comments many feel that it could be any UK town at the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Anywhere outside the tourist hotspots in London, barring the odd exception (Kensington, Wimbledon, Canary Wharf), is a total dump.

Though Ive lived in Cardiff and tbh it must be contender for dirtiest capital city in Europe.

And trust me, its like that on an average Saturday night, not just after a 6nations match. And judging by the blog comments many feel that it could be any UK town at the weekend.
    Which proves that some welsh people and some welsh citys are no different to their English, Scots and Irish counterparts

• Advertisement
Advertisement