Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car expenses and allowance from Employer

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

unkel wrote: »
    Oops I actually typed the wrong figures. You can only expense the least of the two figures. So only 20 km, and NOT 30 km as I posted
    It's very easily solved by driving to the office first, and then claiming mileage from the office to where ever. That's the way I did it when I worked in the public service, but I was fortunate to live quite close to where I worked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

I'm also in a similar position; 5,000 euros Car allowance (419e a month) and 64c per mile (every mile) and i'll probably be doing 25,000 miles.

From my understanding the allowance is taxable and subject to levy and prsi so will actually be more like 300 euros in my pocket where as the per mile rate is a tax free expense.

When would the revenue step in and start taxing the per mile rate?

S.

When you go over the Civil Service rate, which you have done. The max, untaxable, is 59.07c per km for engines over 1501cc, and only for the first 6437km. For any mileage over 6437km, the maximum is 28.46c

Actually, scratch that, you're on a per mile rate. The max, untaxable, is 95.05c per mile for engines over 1501cc, and only for the first 4000 miles. For any mileage over 4000 miles, the maximum is 45.79c.

Given you claim under the Civil Service rate for 4000 miles, assuming you drive a car >1501cc, and over it by (64-45.79=) 18.21c for 21,000 miles that's a potential tax liability on a total of €3824.10 ....

I hope your company is never audited!

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭An Ard Ri

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    There is probably a very good chance that the 400/month is taxed...can't see how else it could be paid without paying tax/prsi & health leavy and all the other levies on it.

If thats the case, then its not great...

I get 27c/km plus €1k/month allowance which is IMO not bad. For me it works out better as I only do about 15,000km/year, but it might be in your interest to get the higher mileage rate and lower allowance if you do more on the clock like you do about 40k

Lex,

This is the form i was talking about in the message i sent you today. Any questions. Give me a shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

testicle wrote: »
    I hope your company is never audited!

;) What happens if my company is UK based?

Thanks for explaining that though, makes things much clearer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Heroditas

;) What happens if my company is UK based?

You'll just get audited instead. :p

• Advertisement
Advertisement