Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Israel attack Iran???

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,220 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Rondolfus wrote: »
    Israel would level targets in Iran. It would not engage in ground warfare. The USA would then back a coup that would see the Iranian regimes opponents seizing power.
    This would not be the first time that the US backed a coup in Iran?

"...the CIA backed Operation Ajax and allowed Kermit Roosevelt to ally himself with figures as diverse as the Shah, General Zahedi, Ayatollah Kashani, and local gang-leader Shaban Jafari in order to overthrow (democratically elected) Mossadegh... August 1953... Operation Ajax may be worth telling and retelling for those who wonder why the people of the region in general, and Iranians in particular, remain distrustful of the United States... (and the) connection between the overthrow of Mossadegh and the contemporary terrorist acts directed at the United States."

Source: http://www.law.harvard.edu/students/orgs/hrj/iss17/booknotes-All.shtml

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,238 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Rondolfus wrote: »
    I agree totally. Most of the soldiers are sitting in their bases. That doesn't mean they have succeeded in anything.

If they were so busy that they were unable to just sit on their bases, then that would be evidence that they had not succeeded in anything. Although their general idleness is not evidence of success either, it is certainly not a bad sign, and is a required component of success.
    The hearts and minds of the people of Iraq have been lost.

To a large extent, the US were not fighting for the hearts and minds of the people of Iraq. They were fighting to get the Iraqi authorities to a point where the people of Iraq can look to them as opposed to anyone else, including the Americans. As has been pointed out on various threads on the politics forum, the Coalition presence is unpopular. The Coalition presence is unpopular with the Coalition as well, frankly. Success in Iraq has little to do with the popularity of a third party like the US and everything to do with the confidence of the Iraqi people in Iraq.
    American movement in the country is largely centred around the Green zone

It is? You must be getting your information from other places than I do.
    Iraqi resistance are still ever present, suicide bombings have increased in frequency.

Not unexpected. The slight spike in violence after the general withdrawl of the Coalition from routine ops in urban areas was long known to be going to happen. It is a necessary component of the course to proper Iraqi governance.
    Iraq is lightyears away from recovering stability.

It really isn't that bad, you know. The infrastructure, both economic and security has recovered greatly, which are fundemental blocks without which stability would be impossible, and which until relatively recently were not sufficiently present.

To put it in perspective, the number of killed in Iraq spiked to about the worst of the year so far in August 2009, about 450. (Iraqi authorities say 456), a quarter of which were killed in a single incident. That's 0.015 deaths per thousand people.
    In Northern Ireland in 1972, deaths per thousand people in a month as a result of the Troubles was 0.026. The July 09 rate for Iraq was 0.01 per thousand.* Hell, that's better than Los Angeles' 0.014, and nowhere near Washington DC's murder rate of 0.038.

Now, I'm not saying that Northern Ireland was a utopia in 1972, but it was certainly nowhere near being a failed State, and people were being killed at almost twice the current rate in Iraq, yet the country still seems to be have generally done OK.
    and had basically no weapons,

Mate, the country was awash with weapons. Kindof hard to have a proper insurgency without them.
    how could anyone expect success in Iran a fairly powerful military power of around 70 million people??

Who said anything about trying to occupy the place?
    How can you be successful in a war ( that everyone agrees) was fought on the basis of lies??

Depends on what the goal is, really.
    Another war in which America is struggling.

True. Though I would argue a large part of that is America's fault, not that of the Afghan insurgents.

NTM

*Figures from:
    http://epic-usa.org/2009/09/06/deaths-in-iraq-take-jump-in-august-2009 "Deaths in Iraq take jump in August 2009"
    For August, take 456, divide by 31.2million (Wiki estimate of population), x 1000.
    For July, do the same with the number of 275 from the above website.
    Irish figures from Wiki's page on "The Troubles", divide the 1972 figure of 479 by 12 to get a monthly average, then divide again by 1.5m, multiply by 1000.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭Rondolfus

They were fighting to get the Iraqi authorities to a point where the people of Iraq can look to them as opposed to anyone else, including the Americans.

I don't think so. They were fighting because their Government lead them into a conflict under false pretences. When the initial lies of the Government ( and they were lies) were uncovered, it was necessary to create a new reason to fight, i.e. to free the Iraqi people from "brutal dictator.” The downfall of Saddam was just a result of American action, it wasn't the primary motivation. Afterall there are plenty of brutal dictators that America has got into bed with over the years.

Success in Iraq has little to do with the popularity of a third party like the US and everything to do with the confidence of the Iraqi people in Iraq.

I'm happy a solider like you thinks like this, but I know politicians don't. If they did they would never have imposed severe sanctions and introduced the farcical oil for food program. Both directly responsible for the deaths of over half a million Iraqi Children alone! A figure not even disputed by the American Government. In fact Madeline Albright said"was worth it." Even our own Dennis Halliday described this as genocide. My point is American policy in Iraq was never motivated by a feeling of shared humanity. It was always financially motivated.

It is? You must be getting your information from other places than I do.

Granted I have never been in Iraq myself, although, I have worked in the Middle East. However a friend of mine (Journalist from Hebron) has been to Iraq and informed me that American movement is drastically hampered outside the Green zone. I have also read and studied a number of accounts of the situation on the ground. One source is " The Forever War" by Dexter Filkins, in which he states...
    And beyond the Green Zone there is another conversation, he writes, the Iraqi conversation, the one that really matters: “a parallel reality, which sometimes unfolded right next to the Americans, even right in front of them. And we almost never saw it.”

Recalling Iraq before civil war engulfs it, he writes of the lies Americans told themselvesThey believed them because it was convenient — and because not to believe them was too horrifying to think about.”

It really isn't that bad, you know. The infrastructure, both economic and security has recovered greatly, which are fundemental blocks without which stability would be impossible, and which until relatively recently were not sufficiently present.

The infrastructure and security was still a lot better before it was destroyed by the invasion. This reminds me of a conversation I had with a US Sergeant serving in Iraq. He told me about all the good work America was doing in Iraq. I asked for examples. He said, " Well we oversaw the rebuilding of a school." I asked why the school needed to be rebuilt. He said ," We had to destroy it because rebels were hiding in it."

To put it in perspective, the number of killed in Iraq spiked to about the worst of the year so far in August 2009, about 450. (Iraqi authorities say 456), a quarter of which were killed in a single incident. That's 0.015 deaths per thousand people.
    In Northern Ireland in 1972, deaths per thousand people in a month as a result of the Troubles was 0.026. The July 09 rate for Iraq was 0.01 per thousand.* Hell, that's better than Los Angeles' 0.014, and nowhere near Washington DC's murder rate of 0.038.

This is not an accurate reflection of the devastation. It doesn't account for deaths indirectly related to the violence. For example, I already mentioned the sanctions prior to the invasion, which indirectly led to the deaths of around 1 million people (500,000 of which were children.) Also deaths through starvation, and the horrible diseases that have resulted from the use of depleted uranium and WP. Just google Fallujah and depleted uranium and see the poor children that are suffering from a war that started before they were even born. You can't simplify suffering by using cold statistics.

Mate, the country was awash with weapons. Kindof hard to have a proper insurgency without them.

It was always David versus Goliath. Lets face it the weapons available to the Iraqi's might as well have been stones and sling shots compared to the hi tech weaponry of the US. You can easily carry out an insurgency using primitive weapons, however, you can't take on an Army head on, which is why the US basically walked into Baghdad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

I think the bottom line is that neither Isreal nor the US would risk a ground war with Iran. Such a war could last years as the Iranian army is fairly modern and is quite large.The only military conflict with Iran would be precision airstrikes and possibly small elite units being deployed in search and destroy missions. In this case Iran could do little due to it having few modern anti-air weapons and an ageing air force. In any case I dont see any major conflict with Iran in the near future. Not for at least another 5 years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭FunnyStuff

If they attack Iran, they'll get a good kicking like they did in Lebanon in '06.

I dont think so, fighting a guerilla war is very different to conventional warfare, as can be seen in Iraq and Afghanistan, and the Israeli Defense Forces has proven itself to be very good at what it does in conventional terms. That said, i think any attack on Iran would be precision airstrikes. And then they know that Iran would retaliate, so any strike on Iran would need to be so effective that the Iranians would have to think twice about a retaliation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Mr. SS

FunnyStuff wrote: »
    and the Israeli Defense Forces has proven itself to be very good at what it does in conventional terms.

i agree, and i hope Israel raise Iran's nuclear infrastructure to the ground. they did it in Iraq and Syria and there wasn't a blip out of them there's no reason why they can't do it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭who what when

Hi, i have to admit im not too well up on middle east politics, would someone care to educate me.

This is my simplistic take on things.

Israel is a country founded in the 50's which is essentially the spiritual home of the jews. This annoyed the Palestinians because it was their land and they didnt want to give it away? An issue which to this day hasnt been adequatly resolved.

Now for some unknown reason everyone hates the jews. Is this because they are Gods supposedly chosen people and every other religion is jealous? This hatred is particularly strong in the middle east where basically everyone wants to annihilate Israel.

Now Israel is obviously opposed to their own annihilation and have been involved in numerous wars down through the years. Usually they are the winners of these conflicts.

Essentially they are the kid in the playground who is being bullied but time after time end up beating up the bullies despite being much smaller in size!
    Is this correct? What am i missing?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Ping Chow Chi

Now for some unknown reason everyone hates the jews. Is this because they are Gods supposedly chosen people and every other religion is jealous? This hatred is particularly strong in the middle east where basically everyone wants to annihilate Israel.

I dont think that 'everyone hates the jews' and I would imagine that every religion believes that *they* are the chosen people (isnt that the whole point of religion after all?) so I doubt jealousy has a factor in any of this.

Though Israel is the only jewish state, dislike of the state of Israel does not equate to hatred of jews.

As for will Israel attack Iran, I would say yes it will, and it probably will even if Iran submits to everything that the UN requests of it.

Hi, i have to admit im not too well up on middle east politics, would someone care to educate me.

This is my simplistic take on things.

Israel is a country founded in the 50's which is essentially the spiritual home of the jews. This annoyed the Palestinians because it was their land and they didnt want to give it away? An issue which to this day hasnt been adequatly resolved.

Now Israel is obviously opposed to their own annihilation and have been involved in numerous wars down through the years. Usually they are the winners of these conflicts.

Essentially they are the kid in the playground who is being bullied but time after time end up beating up the bullies despite being much smaller in size!
    Is this correct? What am i missing?

I had a dog and his name was BINGO!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Isreal havent got the Balls to tackle Iran!!!!

The are one of the school bully/catholic priest abusing type nations, they will pick on the weak but believe me Iran are not weak and they know it!
    Even the biggest bully/terrorist nation of them all (the grand ol USA) would think twice about tackling them now..

• Advertisement

Isreal havent got the Balls to tackle Iran!!!!

The are one of the school bully/catholic priest abusing type nations, they will pick on the weak but believe me Iran are not weak and they know it!
    Even the biggest bully/terrorist nation of them all (the grand ol USA) would think twice about tackling them now..

Mark my words they will. and you'll think back to mr ss (which are my initials by the way!) who said this and you doubted him! taking on the arab world all at once is some achievment, they've done it before and will do it again if pushed.

Iran says they will wipe Israel off the map, you thing israel will just lie down and take it? they will strike first, as they always have when it comes to their security

Mr. SS wrote: »
    Mark my words they will. and you'll think back to mr ss (which are my initials by the way!) who said this and you doubted him! taking on the arab world all at once is some achievment, they've done it before and will do it again if pushed.

Iran says they will wipe Israel off the map, you thing israel will just lie down and take it? they will strike first, as they always have when it comes to their security

Isreal is a coward nation and unless it gets 100% backing from the US it will not dare touch Iran.

Iran would give them a good fight and they dont like fair fights, they prefer to hem in a population and pound from a distance, preferably woman and children

The US has already made too many enemies in that region, do you really think they will attack a country that borders Afghanistan and Iraq, even Bush wouldnt have done a thing like that.

As for Iran saying they wanted to wipe Isreal of the map you really should look at other threads for a more(non gyius) valid explanation of what was really said by achmeniwhatsisname...

Isreal is a coward nation and unless it gets 100% backing from the US it will not dare touch Iran.

Iran would give them a good fight and they dont like fair fights, they prefer to hem in a population and pound from a distance, preferably woman and children

The US has already made too many enemies in that region, do you really think they will attack a country that borders Afghanistan and Iraq, even Bush wouldnt have done a thing like that.

As for Iran saying they wanted to wipe Isreal of the map you really should look at other threads for a more(non gyius) valid explanation of what was really said by achmeniwhatsisname...

wow! you've got some serious tunnel vision there buddy. I know its hard when Ireland is overwhealmingly pro-palestinian to get any kind of credible news but jeez, you should at least try calm down those crazy wide sweeping statements!

am i wrong or did they go into the sinai without even telling america??? Israel will attack her enemies regardless of what america thinks and I hope she does, she's the only sliver of civilisation in that whole region...

Bearing in mind that Israel has gone as far as to bomb a US naval vessel if it considers it in its own interests, plus plenty of other operations carried out without telling the US, that's a risky assessment.

Israel would very much like a 'fair fight'. Their equipment and ethos is well suited for it.

False logic. If Iran needs attacking, it needs attacking. If not, not. The US is not likely to fail to do something because it's 'difficult', the question is one of perceived need. Iran is unlikely to invade Iraq or Afghanistan in response to an attack from a third country. Iranian support of the insurgencies already exists to a fair extent, so there's not much new there in terms of possibility either.

NTM

Bearing in mind that Israel has gone as far as to bomb a US naval vessel if it considers it in its own interests, plus plenty of other operations carried out without telling the US, that's a risky assessment.

Israel has always said that the attack on the USS Liberty was a mistake, it's not like you to claim that Israel are lying ;)

I'll fully admit that I have a much higher threshold than most people on Boards before making such a claim, but I have never said that the Israelis will always be truthful.

NTM

Was only meant to be a bit light hearted banter :)

From what I have read about the incident, it does appear to me to be a real mistake from Israel, but thats just my best guess.

False logic. If Iran needs attacking, it needs attacking. If not, not. The US is not likely to fail to do something because it's 'difficult', the question is one of perceived need. Iran is unlikely to invade Iraq or Afghanistan in response to an attack from a third country. Iranian support of the insurgencies already exists to a fair extent, so there's not much new there in terms of possibility either.

NTM

I may not always agree with your posts or the point of view you post them from but I respect them which is why I dont understand how you could think that. You are much more knowledgable in military matter than myself but do you really think america(even with the help of isreal) can open up a fighting region by attacking Iran
    Think about it,
    Iraq
    430,000 km of area

Afganistan
    640,000 km of area

At the moment they are seperated by Iran and no matter what the media say the link between these countries is Iran and they do not allow free movement between these volitile regions

Now add Iran
    1,650,000 km of area

Thats would make the war zone

2,720,000 km area.....

Only a mad man would try to fight a war against the hostile population in an area that size.

Obama aint mad

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Agamemnon

I may not always agree with your posts or the point of view you post them from but I respect them which is why I dont understand how you could think that. You are much more knowledgable in military matter than myself but do you really think america(even with the help of isreal) can open up a fighting region by attacking Iran
    Think about it,
    Iraq
    430,000 km of area

Afganistan
    640,000 km of area

At the moment they are seperated by Iran and no matter what the media say the link between these countries is Iran and they do not allow free movement between these volitile regions

Now add Iran
    1,650,000 km of area

Thats would make the ware zone

2,720,000 km area.....

Only a mad man would try to fight a war against the hostile population in an area that size.

Obama aint mad

What on earth makes you think anyone is talking about invading Iran? If the Israelis or Americans do attack, it'll be airstrikes on the nuclear facilities, not an invasion.

Agamemnon wrote: »
    What on earth makes you think anyone is talking about invading Iran? If the Israelis or Americans do attack, it'll be airstrikes on the nuclear facilities, not an invasion.

What on earth makes you think Iran will sit back and let the Isrealis and America use air strikes without retaliation.

The reason the Isrealis and America have not attacked is because they fear exactly that.....

Iran has never invaded another country and has never have dreams of empire, the country itself is far from prefect and the human rights issues really need addressing but they are far from the worst and are moving in the right direction......

The only reason the Colonialists want to attack Iran is for its mineral wealth and only a fool would think otherwise

And on another note, do you think China will allow the US or Isreal to attack Iran?

• Advertisement

What on earth makes you think Iran will sit back and let the Isrealis and America use air strikes without retaliation.

The reason the Isrealis and America have not attacked is because they fear exactly that.....

Iran has never invaded another country and has never have dreams of empire, the country itself is far from prefect and the human rights issues really need addressing but they are far from the worst and are moving in the right direction......

The only reason the Colonialists want to attack Iran is for its mineral wealth and only a fool would think otherwise

And on another note, do you think China will allow the US or Isreal to attack Iran?

The Iranians could retaliate by trying to mine the Strait of Hormuz and the Persian Gulf but they would face large air and naval opposition (and not just from the Americans - most of the US's traditional military allies would not want to face the hike in oil prices mining/sinking tankers would cause). Iran could also stir up further trouble in Iraq, possibly leading to a lengthened/increased US presence in Iraq. Both of those tactics can be dealt with without an invasion of Iran. Do you seriously believe Obama wants another Iraq-style conflict on his hands? He knows full well it wouldn't be worth it. As you said yourself, he ain't mad.

What will the Chinese do? They may not support sanctions but they won't start a conflict with the US over Iran.

What will the Chinese do? They may not support sanctions but they won't start a conflict with the US over Iran.

The thing is China dont have to physically get into a scrap with the US, they already hold the keys to the safe.... without direct and indirect investment by China the US would be in an awful economic mess.

The relationship between Iran and China is based solely on access to Irans vast oil field and this makes them a very good friends when you look at the increase in china's energy needs over the past few years and especially over the coming years.

Can china afford to let 8% of the worlds oil reserves out of their grasp because Isreal wants protection from a percieved enemy

For the cradle of capitalism this would be worse than a war.

The thing is China dont have to physically get into a scrap with the US, they already hold the keys to the safe.... without direct and indirect investment by China the US would be in an awful economic mess.

The relationship between Iran and China is based solely on access to Irans vast oil field and this makes them a very good friends when you look at the increase in china's energy needs over the past few years and especially over the coming years.

Can china afford to let 8% of the worlds oil reserves out of their grasp because Isreal wants protection from a percieved enemy

For the cradle of capitalism this would be worse than a war.
    But the point I'm making is that the US won't invade Iran, so the Chinese don't have to worry about letting "8% of the worlds oil reserves out of their grasp". Once it all blows over, the Chinese will still be getting gas and oil from Iran (and sending refined petroleum back).

The fact that China is America's largest creditor won't have much to do with it. The Chinese could sink the US economy but most of the world's economies would go down with it. This would have a severe effect on the export-dependent Chinese economy. The Chinese would come out of this on top, but at great cost to themselves. The recent Chinese stimulus program has worked very well but the current global economic crisis is small beans compared to what would happen if the US economy collapsed. Forcing this to happen is the economic equivalent of the nuclear option for China and they won't invoke it over a few airstrikes on Iran.

But the point I'm making is that the US won't invade Iran, so the Chinese don't have to worry about letting "8% of the worlds oil reserves out of their grasp". Once it all blows over, the Chinese will still be getting gas and oil from Iran (and sending refined petroleum back).

The fact that China is America's largest creditor won't have much to do with it. The Chinese could sink the US economy but most of the world's economies would go down with it. This would have a severe effect on the export-dependent Chinese economy. The Chinese would come out of this on top, but at great cost to themselves. The recent Chinese stimulus program has worked very well but the current global economic crisis is small beans compared to what would happen if the US economy collapsed. Forcing this to happen is the economic equivalent of the nuclear option for China and they won't invoke it over a few airstrikes on Iran.

An impass that can only deter either the US or Isreal from attacking Iran, this together with the fact Iran would not lie down and take any crap of either of these countries is reason enough to conclude that an attack will not happen (hopefully)

I really dont want to see a region covering 2.5 million kilometers become a battle ground, the lives being lost in Iraq and Afganistan right now are bad enough but that would be catastrophic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭imported_guy

if a country wants nuclear wepons, it will get nuclear wepons, sanctions/embargos etc do fk all, when india wanted nukes no one stopped them, sure there were sanctions etc, but thats about it, everyone forgot about it after a while, same with pakistan, sure america got pissed off, put forward alot of sanctions, but look at them now, no one really cares that there are no sanctions against pakistan anymore, so the sanctions against iran wont do anything, and when iran has nuclear wepons, it will be that scene from "this is madness, nrly this is sparta", having a nuclear wepon is just like having any other wepon imagine this senario

me = skinny 5'10 guy (iran)
    you = rhino arnold schwarz/ronnie coleman/jay cutler built, 6'8 250 pounds of muscle (israel)

sure if i fight you empty handed you would use me to mop the floor

imagine senario 2

me = 5'10, skinny with a gun (iran)
    you = jay cutler/ronnie coleman (maybe you have a concealed wepon we dont know for sure, cant assume it to be true, if i have a gun i WILL use it, but you might not), (israel)

i would probably be using your quad muscles to clean your brains off the wall

Thats would make the war zone
    2,720,000 km area.....
    Obama aint mad

Why would anyone be fighting a war against the population of Iran?

Seriously, what's Iran going to do in response to a strike or raid against its facilities? Invade Afghanistan and Iraq? That'll go down well in the Arab world. Especially if the strikes came from Israel or a Carrier group or some such. We're not talking about American or Israeli tanks driving in the Iranian countryside trying to control the place, here.

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭imported_guy

Seriously, what's Iran going to do in response to a strike or raid against its facilities? Invade Afghanistan and Iraq? That'll go down well in the Arab world. Especially if the strikes came from Israel or a Carrier group or some such. We're not talking about American or Israeli tanks driving in the Iranian countryside trying to control the place, here.

NTM
    are you actully that naive to believe iran doesnt have sophisticated anti aircraft/anti missile defense systems? OR they might already even have nukes, the nuclear programme is aeons old. also point to note if america/israel attacks iran they wont be fighting bunch of dumb extreemists in turbans, they will be fighting smart extreemists in uniform, and what happened in 2006 vs hezbollah just showed how weak israel is, they had a hard time against hezbollah, what makes you think they can fight iranians?

NTM

But thats what would have to happen if they fully open the borders to Iraqi, afgani and pakistani insurgents, train them, arm them and send them on their way.
    That is the least they would do after any air offensive against them,

How could Isreal and the US combat this, any chance of peace in Iraq, afganistan or the leb for that matter would disappear up in smoke.

It would also galvanise the militants within Iran and ruin any chance of reform. People might think Iran is a militant Islamic nation now but try 25 years ago when Khomeni had his greasy paws on the place....

The point Im trying to make (and badly by the looks of it) is that any strike whether it is surgical (haha) or just blunt force trauma against the state of Iran would result in all out war.

Isreal and the US know they cannot win this one so the possibilities of any strike against Iran is miniscule

I really dont want to see a region covering 2.5 million kilometers become a battle ground, the lives being lost in Iraq and Afganistan right now are bad enough but that would be catastrophic.
    Me neither, but chill, it won't happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭who what when

A lot of people here seem to think that America/Israel will never attack Iran. So let me ask you this;
    Why are america in such a hurry to leave afganistan and iraq?

The americans are know they cant attack Iran whilst occupying other mid-eastern countries so theyre bulling to pull out so they can get their hands on iran. And obviously it wouldnt be a ground invasion, just airstrikes.

Advertisement