Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Negotiating with a car salesman!

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

10 GOTO 20
    20 GOTO 10

In fairness, any sales person will think your a twat - and wont even waste the time sitting down with you when they hear your initial 1/2 price offer. You WILL be percieved as a tyre kicker,messer, time waster, dreamer, fool, etc etc. RECOGNISE when a car is keenly priced, negiotiate within realistic boundaries, and get yourself a nice little car. Thats the only advice I can give the OP.

I looked at the clio on driving.ie yesterday, and it was the cheapest clio with the lowest mileage relative to price. If you got two hundred off, maybe 250 - you would be doing well.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Its like having LoveDucati2 back again. Seriously OP, ignore VW4life's advice. Do listen to the likes of Chris, Saab Ed and the rest. Be sensible in your dealing, and recognise if a car is good value or not - it will give you a clear indication of how much wiggle room is in the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭the corpo

took our yaris to a dealer today, and was checking out an 05 avensis.
    he offered 6,300 + yaris for the avensis (he reckoned about 3,800 for the yaris).
    now, the most we can scrimp together is 4k, if i go back to him with that am i going to get laughed off the forecourt??

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

the corpo wrote: »
    took our yaris to a dealer today, and was checking out an 05 avensis.
    he offered 6,300 + yaris for the avensis (he reckoned about 3,800 for the yaris).
    now, the most we can scrimp together is 4k, if i go back to him with that am i going to get laughed off the forecourt??

probably yeah, but go back, you never know unless you try.
    he may meet you somewhere in the middle ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

But if he meets in the middle, that's still outide corpo's budget.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

-Chris- wrote: »
    But if he meets in the middle, that's still outide corpo's budget.

i understand that, but if the car is really nice, and its what corpo is really looking for, then an extra 1k isint gona kill him. either that or drop down a year and look at the 2004 Avensis range and he should be able to do a deal on something then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭the corpo

aye, there'll be no meeting in the middle 8)
    i'd been hoping for a better trade-in price, mileage is very low on the yaris. i'll see what i can hit them with tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭vw4life

Its like having LoveDucati2 back again. Seriously OP, ignore VW4life's advice. Do listen to the likes of Chris, Saab Ed and the rest. Be sensible in your dealing, and recognise if a car is good value or not - it will give you a clear indication of how much wiggle room is in the price.

some kind of insult is it to be compared to LoveDucati2?,hmmmmmmm
    and yeah,OP ignore my advice and be like all the rest who love handin over thier hard earned cash

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

I no longer live/work in Ireland but I always remember the rip off prices garages were looking for old cars. 2750 for a 8 (probably closer to 9) year old renault clio is, in my opinion, madness.

While I would not offer an amount as low as vw4life, I would definitely think of offering 1300 - 1400, aiming to pay 1600 - 1700 cash. Keeping in mind that in a short period of time you will be coughing up for a new timing belt and whatever else might break in a 8 - 9 year old car that was never that well built in the first place.

It should also be noted that some (most?) of the people in this thread advising you to pay a high price for that car are in the car trade themselves (not calling them shills by any means, they just naturally see higher value in old cars)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

vw4life wrote: »
    some kind of insult is it to be compared to LoveDucati2?,hmmmmmmm
    and yeah,OP ignore my advice and be like all the rest who love handin over thier hard earned cash

Ever sold a car for half the price you were looking? I bet ya you've never. So stop talking through your hat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭ya-ba-da-ba-doo

OP, if i were you i'd try to get it at 2300-2500 with a 6-9 month warranty thrown in. That seems fair to me to both sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭bogs

Think twice or three times before you buy any kind of Renault.They seem to have no trade in value and they to develop problems what kind i dont know.

OK lads - enough of getting at vw4life.
    They're clarified their stance - if a car is keenly priced, you can't expect the same level of discount as if it's overpriced.
    I do agree with the sentiment that you shouldn't be afraid to lowball, asking costs nothing. Any lowball offer must be made in the context of the actual value of the car, rather than the price.

To address the OP's original question, there is no set amount of discount (absolute or relative).
    Ignore what the seller wants, establish what the car is actually worth.
    Offer something lower than this to try and snag a bargain, but be prepared to actually pay what the car is worth - otherwise you're wasting your time, and that of the salesperson.
    I think it's as simple as that.
    BigEejit wrote: »
    It should also be noted that some (most?) of the people in this thread advising you to pay a high price for that car are in the car trade themselves (not calling them shills by any means, they just naturally see higher value in old cars)

BigEejit, I hope you don't find youself tempted to come on here asking for advice from the "insiders" in the future - that's hardly a fair or enlightened attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭vw4life

stepbar wrote: »
    Ever sold a car for half the price you were looking? I bet ya you've never. So stop talking through your hat.

sadly I have on a few cars over the years,not quite half but I was lookin silly big money in the first place,most were impulse buys in the first place though.only talkin a few grand at the most:(.like I said,you win some and lose some too:P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Sorry for the thread resurrection but:
    -Chris- wrote: »
    BigEejit, I hope you don't find youself tempted to come on here asking for advice from the "insiders" in the future - that's hardly a fair or enlightened attitude.
    Nice .... .... especially the "that's hardly a fair or enlightened attitude" bit after the veiled threat.

And from a mod no less. :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Send a PM to -Chris- if you have a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,139 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I think this thread has gone beyond it's usefulness.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

agreed

Sorry for replying after the lock, but I want to address this.
    BigEejit wrote: »
    Nice .... .... especially the "that's hardly a fair or enlightened attitude" bit after the veiled threat.

And from a mod no less. :pac:

With my mod hat on, if I have a problem with what someone posts, I'll PM them to get clarification or I'll infract on thread if I think there's no ambiguity.

Otherwise I'm just talking as me. There was no "threat from a mod" intended here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement