Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should the law make it easier for us to help the terminally ill die?

Options
  • 31-07-2009 10:08am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭

I think it should!
    What does everyone else think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I think it should!

Yep.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Only if I get to use a hammer.........

What?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

I don't get this. Why can't they kill themselves like normal people at the end of their tether? Why do they have to have extra legislation?

And no, I'm not being sarcastic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭Fink Goddie

Confab wrote: »
    I don't get this. Why can't they kill themselves like normal people at the end of their tether? Why do they have to have extra legislation?

Some of them are probably so sick they couldnt even manage to kill themselves, they'd need help, and then that person would get in trouble for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

Some of them are probably so sick they couldnt even manage to kill themselves, they'd need help, and then that person would get in trouble for it.

I'm with confab.
    in the cases of the extremely sick, just refuse treatment, we'll never get that legislation in ireland, although I think we should have it.

you could just bite your tongue off like yer wan out of 'million dollar baby' though.

• Advertisement

Because they are usually rendered dependent on others by the nature of whats slowly killing them. Thus theres no way they can get to Sweden or the like without assistance. Its a worry that the helper(s) may face prosecution as theres been no clear guidelines.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Because it suicide is probably painfull and if not, then it does serious damage to the well being of the people around you when it happens.

If done properly, it would be done under medication and would be a peaceful death. So much better than a messy one.

genericguy wrote: »
    I'm with confab.
    in the cases of the extremely sick, just refuse treatment, we'll never get that legislation in ireland, although I think we should have it.

you could just bite your tongue off like yer wan out of 'million dollar baby' though.

Did Clint not assist her suicide in million dollar baby??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

no , people should only die when thier finished having all the sufferng god intended for them :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

I think it should!

I agree with you, and it would also offer palliative care which "normal" suicides don't get. The control of the immense pain some terminally ill suffer is very important.

However, you may be better off posting this in Humanities because I don't think you'll get a serious debate on this here in AH (just my thoughts on this).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭You Suck!

Only if it involves a reality TV show, one preferably not produced by rte......

irish_bob wrote: »
    no , people should only die when thier finished having all the sufferng god intended for them :D

...yes, they can 'offer up their suffering'. Not that anyone will take it off them of course, but its supposed to be good for the soul, leaving one 'at peace'. Personally I've found that a beer, a full belly, a decent ride or all three in some combination leave me perfectly 'at peace', without the need for a long drawn out death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Ah way to ruin the movie on me Fink. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭Fugly

Yes, absolutely.

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Ah way to ruin the movie on me Fink. :mad:

Its your own fault for leaving it so long to watch it :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

No need to change the law, the so called Irish Health System makes it easy for anyone to die of even simple curable ailments.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Did anyone see the BBC tv-film 'A Short Stay In Switzerland' with Julie Walters?
    It was a bio-pic thing about the doctor Anne Turner, who took the choice to take her own life over in a clinic in Switzerland.

An excellent film, gave a realistic, unglamourised portrayal of Dr Turners last few months and the reactions of those around her. - it was eyeopening, if you can find it online anywhere, watch it (made me cry :o)

With regard to the question, though I would class myself as a Catholic, and as such, respect the sanctity of life; since my nan died (she was diagnosed with terminal cancer 2 years ago, died 6 weeks later), I think I would support euthanasia. She said in her last week "I just feel like taking a load of pills.. I'm ready". Seeing her in complete agony, I would have considered helping her, had she asked... I don't think it's fair to force someone with so much suffering to pain their way right to their natural end.
    Two days before she died, the doctors refused to give her morphine to relieve her pain (after a stroke) because it could kill her. My mom's reaction was "So?! Look at her, she's in agony"; I can only hope I'm lucky enough to die quickly.

/rambling

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Sulmac

I'd support bringing in a law similar to that in the Netherlands:
    The law allows medical review board to suspend prosecution of doctors who performed euthanasia when each of the following conditions is fulfilled:
    • the patient's suffering is unbearable with no prospect of improvement
    • the patient's request for euthanasia must be voluntary and persist over time (the request cannot be granted when under the influence of others, psychological illness or drugs)
    • the patient must be fully aware of his/her condition, prospects and options
    • there must be consultation with at least one other independent doctor who needs to confirm the conditions mentioned above
      the death must be carried out in a medically appropriate fashion by the doctor or patient, in which case the doctor must be present
    • the patient is at least 12 years old (patients between 12 and 16 years of age require the consent of their parents)

It's amazing that we'd quickly "put down" a suffering animal but the current law forces those in severe pain to suffer a slow, horrible and undignified death.

Yeh you'd put an animal down if it was in really bad pain but humans are left to suffer, doesnt make sense!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Rabies wrote: »
    If done properly, it would be done under medication and would be a peaceful death. So much better than a messy one.
    I'd agree with you completely. If anything I would consider it dignified and representative of a mature society.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Sharik

Quite obviously anybody of sound mind has the natural right to take her own life at any time, anywhere and by any means her heart desires. Therefore anybody assisting a suicide acts ethically as long as he takes the necessary steps to determine that the person committing suicide is in fact of sound mind, aware of the consequences and takes this step voluntarily.

Any law prohibiting this is just as obviously and infringement on one of the most basic rights of any living being. And the fact that the majority fails to recognize it is the best indicator that our society is sick and our laws unfair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I agree that terminally ill people should be allowed the option of euthanasia.

However, I worry about cohersion....old alzheimers ridden Jimmy down the road has 100 acres of fine land which I would like get my hands...now lets convince him that he can die with dignity (by leaving all his land to me...)

I agree that terminally ill people should be allowed the option of euthanasia.

However, I worry about cohersion....old alzheimers ridden Jimmy down the road has 100 acres of fine land which I would like get my hands...now lets convince him that he can die with dignity (by leaving all his land to me...)

He'd be better off dead if he had Alzheimers anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

my real answer: yes

my ah answer : fap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

I was mis diagnosed with motor neuron disease earlier this year. For approximately seven weeks i was led to believe that i was facing into a serious deterioration of my health in the imminent future.

I assessed all options and frankly i deduced that if there is still some part of life living, no matter how sh1te left to live, i wanted to live it, rather then an eternity of nothingness.

Thats my view on it. I'd rather live then die.

I was mis diagnosed with motor neuron disease earlier this year. For approximately seven weeks i was led to believe that i was facing into a serious deterioration of my health in the imminent future.

I assessed all options and frankly i deduced that if there is still some part of life living, no matter how sh1te left to live, i wanted to live it, rather then an eternity of nothingness.

Yeh but you didnt actually experience the deterioration in the end though did you, maybe your view might have changed if you actually had gone through it.

he did, but that's what she tried first, no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

Yeh but you didnt actually experience the deterioration in the end though did you, maybe your view might have changed if you actually had gone through it.

You're dead right, i'm only giving you my take on it.

The sense of hopelessness and dread will probably kill you quicker then the actual condition though. I wasnt going to let that happen to me. Fcuked up frame of mind to be in, but its small odds to me now. :)

Its your own fault for leaving it so long to watch it :pac:

it's sh1te anyway, if you really wanna watch a film like that watch 'the champ'.

• Advertisement

not everyone would have shared your view. I would prefer to have the option. If I ever got aids, I'd wanna sort myself out. That said though, I'm not a ghey, so I won't get aids. :pac:

Advertisement