Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prometheus *SPOILERS FROM POST 1538*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

Pyongyang wrote: »
    I saw it this evening, absolutely loved it.
    I interpreted the opening as a sacrifice where the alien body disintegrated in to bacteria and the bacteria is where the human race evolved from. This is in reference to the later DNA match scene.

At least that is my humble opinion on the opening scene anyway. :o
    yeah thats what i thought of it also,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

don ramo wrote: »
    yeah thats what i thought of it also,

Phew! Glad I'm not the only one who thought that then! :o

I hope a directors cut blu ray is released to expand the story more and fix a few flaws. It felt a bit on the short side to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

I saw it this evening, absolutely loved it.
    I interpreted the opening as a sacrifice where the alien body disintegrated in to bacteria and the bacteria is where the human race evolved from. This is in reference to the later DNA match scene.

At least that is my humble opinion on the opening scene anyway. :o

Agreed - I can't understand why people aren't getting this part. Its fairly explicit. They even show DNA molecules breaking and reforming in a new configuration in the gloop/water

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

As I said before: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=79008023&postcount=1475 ;)

Really didn't think there was any ambiguity surrounding the prologue at all!

one thing i do wonder and i dunno if anyone knows, at the start
    (im assuming it was earth) the fella that fell down the waterfall would that stuff he drank have caused some kind of reaction in the water that when he disintegrated that helped create us, starting a kind of genesis on earth,
    As I said before: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=79008023&postcount=1475 ;)

Really didn't think there was any ambiguity surrounding the prologue at all!
    said it meself 3 posts before yourself;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

Had me entertained throughout. Nothing groundbreaking.

Looks great (as you'd expect from Scott). Some piss poor acting by some of the small supporting actors (wooden, fair cityesque acting). And the script (especially the dialogue) was well dodgy at times. Stupid plotholes and scenes that made no sense. Stunningly lacking in attention to detail when it came to certain things. Like a bunch of scientists who seem to be quite thick at times and completely unprepared for a mission like this. Why invest so much money in a mission to bring a load of wimps along?

Is it Blade Runner?....No. Is it Alien?....No.... Will it change your life....No. Will you enjoy it if you go in with no expectations... I think so.

If it was Joe Soap directing it, I have a feeling, akin to "Sunshine", it's something that would have come, raised a few eyebrows of appreciation (and annoyance) and then left again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Alright, given the amount of tagged nitpicking (;)) going on here I've added a spoiler warning to the thread title.

*****SPOILERS FROM HERE ON IN, CHAPS AND CHAPETTES*****

Do not say we didn't warn you, because we'll just respond with 'we totally did'.

For those who are still on the fence, I'm sure there's a few general opinions somewhere in the last few thousand posts. Best of luck finding them.

Agreed - I can't understand why people aren't getting this part. Its fairly explicit. They even show DNA molecules breaking and reforming in a new configuration in the gloop/water

Wow, I would have thought the scene was fairly explicit and concise in its meaning. I was just a little unsure in case there was another meaning behind it. But when the later exposition came then I connected it back to the opening scene.

Anyway, more of this film please! Want this at home pronto!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

makes sense now, I had to move seats during it I tend to sit on aisle seats and the 3D wasnt working properly so didnt catch what happened after he fell. I should check this out in 2D again.

said it meself 3 posts before yourself;)

Stuff takes time to type :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,164 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Watched this on Friday night and was so disappointed! I was really excited for this movie and thought it was "Ok" right after the movie ended.

But the more I thought about it, the more disappointed I was.

Visually stunning of course, but it was so poorly executed!

Most of the things I was disappointed by were written here but i'll add one more.

There was no character development. I knew nothing about Idris Elba's character and nothing about the other 2 lads who "sacrificed" themselves (I don't know the actors' names, I just know one of them was Keneda in Sunshine)

So anyway, I didn't know them and didn't care about them. And then in the end of the movie they sacrifice themselves for mankind. All very humble!

But............ I didn't care! And not only because of the lack of development, also because of the fact that it was just like they were agreeing to go to a wedding. They didn't really WANT to do it per se, but f*ck it, we'll do it anyway! it was like they were just saying "whatever, no big deal. Let's just die like!"

That, among a million other things, annoyed me about this movie!

krudler wrote: »
    makes sense now, I had to move seats during it I tend to sit on aisle seats and the 3D wasnt working properly so didnt catch what happened after he fell. I should check this out in 2D again.

One thing I've copped on to recently is the 3D works best in the middle of the theatre - if you are way out to the side it doesn't work as well I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭CL7

Visually I thought it was stunning. Fassbender and Rapace were excellent. I thought the story was good overall despite the plot holes. Yes some of the dialog was poor, some of the characters were idiots and I didn't really care about many of them other than David and Elizabeth but it wasn't enough to spoil the movie for me.

One thing I can't undersand is how utterly disappointed some people are. Ridely Scott hasn't made a great film since Gladiator and there were plenty signs that Prometheus wasn't going to live up to the hype. Saying all that I really enjoyed it and I'll probably watch it again before it's run ends.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

yeah I saw it last night and thought that too. But like so what. I wouldn't consider that a big problem.

Its not about being strict to actually science really.
    I can't remember where I read this, but it was some article I read years ago about scriptwriting. Anyhow basically - there is a concept of internal consistency with any story, movie, etc. And basically there is a limited number of times you can ask the audience to 'suspend disbelief'. So in sci-fi you are asking them to suspend disbelief at ftl travel, or at telepathy or whatever. But there are two important things about this:
    a) once you ask someone to suspend disbelief about a topic - you must maintain consistency within the story with regard to this particular topic
    b) you can't continually ask people to suspend disbelief every five minutes.

The more you break these rules the more audience you lose. Now obviously to tell a scifi tale you have to break a few of the rules, but its generally best to set out your rules early on and try to stick to them. If you don't you lose people.

Lost is the perfect example of this. The first season was critically acclaimed and had people intrigued. By the end they were loosing people hands over fist because they kept making it more ridiculous as time went on. People will only suspend disbelief so far.

I think the reason people are on here complaining about Prometheus is because the required suspension of disbelief went awfully close to that line where people tune out.
    First the cave paintings, then the helmet coming off, then them all being idiots, then the running around with a freshly stapled stomach...etc etc

Personally I thoroughly enjoyed it as I felt the overall experience covered it up - but I can see why people are having problems.

:eek:
    I didn't even cop that lol. Well spotted.

Yes I remember hearing about this in a sci fi debris review about Star Trek Voyager, about internal consistency and I agree but what I've highlighted in black pretty much summarises my opinions on the film. Yes there are big why? and how do you explain that? moments in the film. The crew being idiots, not one of them, that's just fun, it doesn't seriously affect the plot imo, besides, none of them get infected by the air so it doesn't have an impact on the narrative. The freshly stapled stomach bit, it's future med tech, maybe there are nano bots in the staples or in the beams, there were laser beams? I can't remember, or maybe the surgery was so finely tuned that it wasn't as invasive as it looked. This aspect doesn't really affect the suspension of disbelief dimension of films like Total Recall. The cave paintings however are a bit problemmatic, they'll need to address this in the sequel as it has major bearing on the plot and right now I can't see much sense in it, but that's what the sequel is for.

One thing I've copped on to recently is the 3D works best in the middle of the theatre - if you are way out to the side it doesn't work as well I think

I sat in the middle for this film. 3D effect worked a treat. If I'm going to watch a film in 3D I won't sit at the sides now, it wrecks my eyes and my brain!

Drive Angry 3D was another film I watched in the middle of the theatre and the 3D effect was superb! Probably why I enjoyed the film (aside from the gorgeous Amber Heard). Anyway... :)

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Watched this on Friday night and was so disappointed! I was really excited for this movie and thought it was "Ok" right after the movie ended.

But the more I thought about it, the more disappointed I was.

Visually stunning of course, but it was so poorly executed!

Most of the things I was disappointed by were written here but i'll add one more.

There was no character development. I knew nothing about Idris Elba's character and nothing about the other 2 lads who "sacrificed" themselves (I don't know the actors' names, I just know one of them was Keneda in Sunshine)

So anyway, I didn't know them and didn't care about them. And then in the end of the movie they sacrifice themselves for mankind. All very humble!

But............ I didn't care! And not only because of the lack of development, also because of the fact that it was just like they were agreeing to go to a wedding. They didn't really WANT to do it per se, but f*ck it, we'll do it anyway! it was like they were just saying "whatever, no big deal. Let's just die like!"

That, among a million other things, annoyed me about this movie!

I didnt get that either, Elba has a handful of lines in the movie, doesnt really do a whole lot so his sacrifice doesnt mean much. the other guys excuse for giving his life is that Elba isnt a good pilot? they're trying to CRASH the ship, surely being a crappy pilot is a plus in this endeavour?

the more I think about it the more this movie annoys me, its beautifully shot, has some great scenes and ideas but executes it all really poorly for most of it.

the surgery pod thing, jesus where to start. they only made a dozen of them? of this medical marvel that auto performs complex surgery but ONLY if you're a dude? wtf? its on Therons lifeboat and wont basically do anything for her if she gets mangled? I did hear that correctly in the movie that its only calibrated for male bodies? thats utterly retarded sci-fi twaddle right there. and it has some sort of fire extinguisher/smokescreen device built into it? and staples, STAPLES? its 2093 and they havent invented some sort of laser cauteriser thingymajig yet?

the biologist who finds an alien lifeform which is clearly hostile or in a defensive stance, and starts edging towards it with his hand outstretched, surely a biologist would have some sort of knowledge of basic animal body language? although this is the same guy who runs off after finding a dead alien earlier. the arm breaking scene was nasty though and well done.

the surgery pod thing, jesus where to start. they only made a dozen of them? of this medical marvel that auto performs complex surgery but ONLY if you're a dude? wtf? its on Therons lifeboat and wont basically do anything for her if she gets mangled?

I thought it might be for her Dad... :confused:

the surgery pod thing, jesus where to start. they only made a dozen of them? of this medical marvel that auto performs complex surgery but ONLY if you're a dude? wtf? its on Therons lifeboat and wont basically do anything for her if she gets mangled? I did hear that correctly in the movie that its only calibrated for male bodies? thats utterly retarded sci-fi twaddle right there. and it has some sort of fire extinguisher/smokescreen device built into it? and staples, STAPLES? its 2093 and they havent invented some sort of laser cauteriser thingymajig yet?

Had no issues with the med-pod at all, was easily the film's highlight entertainment-wise. I thought the male calibration was a brilliantly nasty twist and really added to the general sense of body horror inherent in that scene. It was obviously set-up for Peter Weyland, in any case, which to me easily explains away the calibration issues. Sure, the fire extinguisher may have been a bit naff and random (even if it was clearly meant as a 'purge' for the 'foreign body' extracted from the stomach), but other than that it's to me one of the finest horror setpieces I've seen out in a while.

I thought it might be for her Dad... :confused:

most likely, still though why would it only work on men? for such a complex piece of machinery. she overrides it to perform a C-Section though, gah I dunno, it just felt like it was thrown in there for no reason, why was that line even in it? it would have worked just as well if she simply said what she wanted and it did it, seemed just put in to ramp up even more tension in the scene.

Yes there are big why? and how do you explain that? moments in the film. The crew being idiots, not one of them, that's just fun, it doesn't seriously affect the plot imo, besides, none of them get infected by the air so it doesn't have an impact on the narrative.

This is where I profoundly disagree with you.

The science techy stuff I can give them a pass on.

Basic human behaviour - no. Nobody, but nobody spends a trillion dollars sending an experimental spaceship to the far reaches of the universe in search of superior aliens and crews it with most incompetent buffoons you can find. I mean not just average, not just not bad crew, but completely fcuking moronic wouldn't hire them to mind my pet rock morons.

• Advertisement

most likely, still though why would it only work on men? for such a complex piece of machinery. she overrides it to perform a C-Section though, gah I dunno, it just felt like it was thrown in there for no reason, why was that line even in it? it would have worked just as well if she simply said what she wanted and it did it, seemed just put in to ramp up even more tension in the scene.
    it was a great scene though i was nearly standing on my seat squirming around, haven't been that freaked out on years, i was well impressed,

seemed just put in to ramp up even more tension in the scene.

You almost say that as if it's a bad thing :confused: As I said, to be it ramps up the intensity and terror of the scene significantly anyway. It's the only scene in the film to me that is an absolute triumph of tension and grotesqueries.

While there's no doubt the film is contrived in many aspects, you have to allow for some dramatic license. Otherwise you could nitpick almost every single film ever made to death, and you'd never have any sense of threat or tension in a movie. The acid blood of Alien is every bit as contrived as the med pod, just to set up some great setpieces and a sense of threat. It makes no logical sense whatsoever. Aliens and its convenient 'explosion countdown' would be the same.

I quite liked that pod sequence, but unfortunately by that stage the film had used up all my suspension of disbelief cards.

One can explain away all these moments with theories, etc. There's far too many of these "convenient" moments in the film, so for me it just boils down to lazy, flabby writing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭jcf

Pretty disappointing ending , I was expecting it to lead up to alien , looks like they will milk another 2 films out of this though, the alien at the end was just pure ****e ...

Where did the face hungers come from so ? I thought these space jockeys were supposed to be carrying shiploads of eggs in the original ?

Now at the end of Prometheus they are wiped out ...

Also the creature in the med pod - the fight with the jockey ?!! please :rolleyes:

I'll give it a 6 but only cos I was enjoying it till the last 15 mins when it really went to **** .

Such a shame .

This is where I profoundly disagree with you.

The science techy stuff I can give them a pass on.

Basic human behaviour - no. Nobody, but nobody spends a trillion dollars sending an experimental spaceship to the far reaches of the universe in search of superior aliens and crews it with most incompetent buffoons you can find. I mean not just average, not just not bad crew, but completely fcuking moronic wouldn't hire them to mind my pet rock morons.

the crew in Alien, who are basically space truckers, come up with a better plan than the crew of scientists and professionals. oh we've got two men trapped inside that unexplored alien constuct we all just legged it out of, be grand lads we'll come get ye tomorrow. and the biologist guy, who finds a headless alien being that could change the origin of man (the same guy who jokes about discounting centuries of Darwinian theory earlier on) and he....legs it because he gets the willies.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Lol, you just had to insult me didn't you, that's the fast track to getting dismissed/ignored as I regard it to be primitive behaviour. I would also say that this isn't the point I'm addressing at all. For example metal/rock it's all along a spectrum in the set of metal/rock, I hate it when people try to set up discrete little categories with impenetrable boundaries, it's a form of pedantic detail orientated thinking which ties into the era of specialisation and expertise. Ditto for sci fi, it's all along a continuum. But that wasn't my point. My point was that sci fi doesn't need to have a hard science basis to produce thought provoking scenarios. It can have any number of ridiculous scientific explanations but the overall, global import of the scenario/situation is what matters.

It wasn't meant as an insult, more harking back to previous discussions we've had on here (like the one about Aronofsky's films) where it's become apparent we both have different tastes in films. Your claim about being "liberal" seemed to be laced with some implied superiority, like you're better than the rest of us for not being bogged down with expectations or something, when a more likely scenario is that you are laden with expectations and preconceptions (like every human on the planet) and this film happened to be a better fit for what you enjoy than it was for myself and others.

I do agree that sci-fi doesn't need to be hard to work in stories where some premises are explored, but the more you want to use sci-fi details as plot devices (especially if you're trying to make a point of establishing your characters as Big Experts In Their Fields) the more you'll strain suspension of disbelief if you have either Crap Science, Blatantly Stupid Scientists, or both - IMO.
    I'd disagree fundamentally with your characterisation of Lovecraft, those stories are more like horror than anything else with modernist/sci fi elements.

Read what I posted again :) In general I'd agree with your description of him, but he has written some stories (most notably the ones I mentioned by name) which are at least as much sci-fi as they are horror fantasy.
    As for Scott Pilgrim, no, if I watch The Birth of a Nation it offends me much in the same way Scott Pilgrim did, the mentality behind both films is offensive. Also I'm totally open minded, if there is a hipster film made that is actually good, I will say so. I will happily go a hipster film and if it blows me away I will admit it, hell I'll proclaim my love for it. Scott Pilgrim was just a bad film and it displayed a preening hipster ideology which is a damning inditement of my generation. I envy Gen X and the baby boomers, not such much the Punk/post-punk generation, because they produced mostly rubbish music, although some of the style trends were cool and even they were better than the hipsters. Also I never went to see any of the AvP films except the one made in 2009 with the gore. It's not a case of relative ****tiness, just that I'm reading people going hysterical OMG! I HATE THIS FILM SO MUCH IT'S NOT ALIEN WWAAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!!!!! and decided to give examples of real sh1t. As for the visual/aural aspects of the film they were spectacular but that isn't what I'm referring to solely. The direction the film is headed in, the opening up of a new universe not dependent on the xenomorphs, the whole mystery angle which is so promising, rise above the obvious deficiencies of the script.

I don't know about anyone else but I certainly didn't want Prometheus to be Alien or Aliens. I wanted it to be made with as confident a display of craftmanship as those films featured, but I generally loathe franchised box-ticking exercises. Narratively it's definitely a good thing for Prometheus to have sought out different territory.

My point is, though, that you're talking about the idea of establishing a viable ongoing storytelling universe in the Aliens world that expands beyond xenomorphs as though that's a specifically good thing about Prometheus. I don't regard that as a good or a bad thing, it's not something I care about. I'm not invested in any way in the Aliens universe overall, I couldn't give a rats ass if for some reason no further stories are ever told in that world. What I do care about is that in such a storytelling environment, each chapter is good and stands in its own right, but tbh since Alien 3 it's been a case of diminishing returns from where I sit. Prometheus delivered the visuals and a narrative of its own, but as it stands it's not strong enough to interest me in coming back for Prometheus 2: Black Goo Boogaloo or anything else.
    Bad Panda wrote: »
    This discussion, as with many in the film forum, has descended into a joke.

People banging on about what's plausible for a sci-fi movie etc to these levels is ridiculous. Some people here seem to think know more about scriptwriting/film making than the actual scriptwriters/film makers of this world, yet what have you achieved in th industry? Nothing. That's what.

Nothing wrong with having an opinion or disliking something that's not to your taste or even suggesting what might have made a film better, but the constant criticism is quite frankly laughable coming from some posters.

I'm off to watch Alien and take notes on what Ridley Scott should've done.

Silly me, getting airs and graces, thinking that the Film Forum of all places was somewhere where I could come and have a meeting of minds with other people who're interested in analysing film in terms of craft and technique as well as sheer spectacle. Those of us pointing out the film's flaws should just shut up and be grateful for whatever crumbs our elders and betters deign to throw us, should we?

I would posit an alternative scenario, in which you accept that those of us discussing the film's faults are in the right place to do so, that a crucial part of wider artistic analysis and critique is founded on the principle that it is possible to understand and appreciate the talent, skill and craftmanship involved in creating a piece of art without possessing it oneself, and that if you're not interested in such a level of discussion perhaps you should instead investigate some of the many other places for nattering that exist on boards.

Incidentally - in your scenario where criticisms from folk like me who try to have an understanding of the craft of filmmaking, but who have no track record in the industry, are rendered invalid or irrelevant....why should your comments carry any weight? You've shown no evidence to suggest you're a Ridley-Scott level filmmaker, so why should anyone set the weight of a mousefart by your positive comments about the film if you're willing to so quickly dismiss the opinions of a load of other people?

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭a5y

As someone who was confused by the bit with the waterfall side chugging I think I should clarify:

I get that its a primordial soup thing, and probably a ritualised sacrifice too considering how intricate the container is and the drinker's strategic positioning over a body of the liquid that'd be required for it to actually work.

Thing is, it doesn't make sense. If this is earth, it suggests
    • there's no sign of any animal life whatsoever on planet earth at the time of their visit
    • they create life
    • resulting humanity is somehow identical genetically to The Engineers... after evolving from simpler life forms? (Or is this True Believer stuff going to be paired with Intelligent Design in the next trilogy? As in evolution is a disproven theory? Because its starting to look like future scripts will need that for internal consistency)
    • Or were other life forms and their completely different DNA included as part of taking some kinda scenic route to evolving humanity? Like, y'know, dinosaurs?
    If this isn't planet earth (and later on it shows earth was not a uniquely visited planet by the jockeys), it suggests:
    • they did similar or identical primordial soup starting there too...
    • ...but no one in the film mentions if life or evidence of life (sentient or otherwise) has been previously found on other planets; the only thing the scientists in the film seem to give a damn about is evidence of civilisations on earth.
    So, resulting questions that need answers after the scene:
    • Is this earth? No way to know, plenty of other possibilities created before the credits roll. Possibly its not important... but if thats the case the scene doesn't need to be in the film.
    • Are the jockeys responsible for ever creating human-like life on other planets using the same procedure? Possibly, but no way to know, and for bonus obscurity the story later suggests they may have annihilated all trace of 'em.
    And the on that had me distracted way too much for the entire second half the film:
    • If this was an experiment was to creating what is now called humanity, how the hell did the genetic information from Slurps-Pot-Noodle-Upon-Waterfall both [a] manage to break down and create every form of life, including all the evolutionary dead ends and eventually reform into a "genetically identical" species?
    And don't anyone say I'm reading too far into this. The trailer spelled it out in capital letters (but I'll spare you the all caps):
    • They went looking
    • for our beginning
    • what they found
    • could be our end
    "could be our end" should perhaps be replaced with
    • was nothing conclusive whatsoever. Zilch

You almost say that as if it's a bad thing :confused: As I said, to be it ramps up the intensity and terror of the scene significantly anyway. It's the only scene in the film to me that is an absolute triumph of tension and grotesqueries.

While there's no doubt the film is contrived in many aspects, you have to allow for some dramatic license. Otherwise you could nitpick almost every single film ever made to death, and you'd never have any sense of threat or tension in a movie. The acid blood of Alien is every bit as contrived as the med pod, just to set up some great setpieces and a sense of threat. It makes no logical sense whatsoever. Aliens and its convenient 'explosion countdown' would be the same.

oh it is a great scene, I just felt it would have worked just as well without that. especially since its basically goes "sorry this device only works on men, oh no wait you pushed two buttons, now it works on you as well".

the acid blood works because its a creature you cant kill without risking killing yourself as well, and they dont solve this problem literally within two seconds.

minor gripe aside it is the standout scene of the movie though, I just wish I didnt know it was coming, the trailers made it so easy to piece the entire movie together, you knew the ship would crash, that holloway would get the eye worm thing, that the mohawk guy would attack someone etc etc. and that was just from the first two trailers.

a5y wrote: »
    As someone who was confused by the bit with the waterfall side chugging I think I should clarify:

I get that its a primordial soup thing, and probably a ritualised sacrifice too considering how intricate the container is and the drinker's strategic positioning over a body of the liquid that'd be required for it to actually work.

Thing is, it doesn't make sense. If this is earth, it suggests
    • there's no sign of any animal life whatsoever on planet earth at the time of their visit
    • they create life
    • resulting humanity is somehow identical genetically to The Engineers... after evolving from simpler life forms? (Or is this True Believer stuff going to be paired with Intelligent Design in the next trilogy? As in evolution is a disproven theory? Because its starting to look like future scripts will need that for internal consistency)
    • Or were other life forms and their completely different DNA included as part of taking some kinda scenic route to evolving humanity? Like, y'know, dinosaurs?
    If this isn't planet earth (and later on it shows earth was not a uniquely visited planet by the jockeys), it suggests:
    • they did similar or identical primordial soup starting there too...
    • ...but no one in the film mentions if life or evidence of life (sentient or otherwise) has been previously found on other planets; the only thing the scientists in the film seem to give a damn about is evidence of civilisations on earth.
    So, resulting questions that need answers after the scene:
    • Is this earth? No way to know, plenty of other possibilities created before the credits roll. Possibly its not important... but if thats the case the scene doesn't need to be in the film.
    • Are the jockeys responsible for ever creating human-like life on other planets using the same procedure? Possibly, but no way to know, and for bonus obscurity the story later suggests they may have annihilated all trace of 'em.
    And the on that had me distracted way too much for the entire second half the film:
    • If this was an experiment was to creating what is now called humanity, how the hell did the genetic information from Slurps-Pot-Noodle-Upon-Waterfall both [a] manage to break down and create every form of life, including all the evolutionary dead ends and eventually reform into a "genetically identical" species?
    And don't anyone say I'm reading too far into this. The trailer spelled it out in capital letters (but I'll spare you the all caps):
    • They went looking
    • for our beginning
    • what they found
    • could be our end
    "could be our end" should perhaps be replaced with
    • was nothing conclusive whatsoever. Zilch

A woman has a half arsed c-section, is stapled up, then proceeds to end the rest of the film as wonderwoman.... My wife could barely move for 2 days after her section. A c-section maybe an every day thing, but it's still getting your stomach SPLIT OPEN!

How can anything in this film be taken seriously after a scene (one of many) like that? Seems futile to disect a film that contains something like that in it.

• Advertisement

Banjaxed82 wrote: »
    A woman has a half arsed c-section, is stapled up, then proceeds to end the rest of the film as wonderwoman.... My wife could barely move for 2 days after her section. A c-section maybe an every day thing, but it's still getting your stomach SPLIT OPEN!

How can anything in this film be taken seriously after a scene (one of many) like that? Seems futile to disect a film that contains something like that in it.

if they'd even used a laser or some sci-fi tool to seal her back up again it would have been some bit more believable.

Advertisement