Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does anyone else wish they went to UL

Options
  • 29-07-2009 10:36pm

I am a 3rd year student in UCC and i soooo wish i went toi UL, it is way better in every way.

I was wondering does anyone else feel the same way

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭karlog

I went to UL for there rag week. That courtyard place they have there is pretty cool. Although i was too drunk to remember most of it.

I think i saw a swimming pool there aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭MikeCork2009

I am a 3rd year student in UCC and i soooo wish i went toi UL, it is way better in every way.

No :D 5 years in UCC and all good!!! Miss my Alma Mater now. How is UL better in every way exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭deisedude

Nope i like the way UCC's campus isnt as big and sprawling as UL's. For the most part you can get from one part of UCC to the other in a few mins. UCC is within easy walking distance to the city centre too unlike most third level colleges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Went to UL on it's open day. Campus was pretty nice but it didn't have the course I wanted to do.

UCC is a nicer campus imo, plus it's location is great and I'm enjoying my course.

So UCC > UL in every way as far as I'm concerned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

BAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHA

You're good!!

Practicing for UCCs next top stand-up???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭quoteunquote

I was in UL for about a week. My dislike of the place coupled with my dislike of the course meant I left asap. Hated walking into the place cos the walkway in from Plassey Village side was surrounded by bushes and being a skinny little wuss meant I was terrified of walking through there.

Again, this is a personal opinion but I thought the students weren't a diverse bunch at all. Cork seems to be way more interesting.

Also Limerick city is a sh!tehole. :pac:

No :D 5 years in UCC and all good!!! Miss my Alma Mater now. How is UL better in every way exactly?
    I could give 100 examples of how UL is better..

For one the quality of student accomodation available on and off campus is excellent, the campus itself (while not as pretty as UCC) has amazing buildings vast green areas, an olympic size swimming pool, along with gym, indoor soccer, basketball, running track, handball alley, etc, etc. Also there is the bowl for playing rugby, you often get to see ireland or munster playing there and the players are always around campus outdoor running track, a boat house and jetty, the setting on the river shannon is gorgeous and the 'living bridge' footbridge across the shannon is the largest and in my opinion most impressive in europe (amazing at night when lit up.
    There are 7 excellent restaurants, 3 bars, live acts such as the blizzards, coronas, etc play there regularily (not just on RAG week). Two concert halls with regular comedic acts, a weekly fresh produce farmers marketing, pool room, chill out rooms, a better computer to pupil ratio than UCC, a large spar shop and so much more...

and that is all ON CAMPUS.... i like UCC but it cant really compete with that.

Plus the way that all the students are accomodated together in the castletroy area, rather than spread all over the city gives the area a really cool student atmosphere that cork as a vibrant city just does have.

deisedude wrote: »
    Nope i like the way UCC's campus isnt as big and sprawling as UL's. For the most part you can get from one part of UCC to the other in a few mins. UCC is within easy walking distance to the city centre too unlike most third level colleges.
    UCC campus is ridiculs i cant believe you made that argument, have you my tuts where the other side of town in the psycology building (at least 15mins away and 40 mins from where i live) plus half my exams where miles from the college. UL has everything in the one place, they may not have built the buildings on top of each other but it definately is more convient than UCC in that way.

Though fair point about being near to the city, that has advantages (some disadvantages too i may add)

but castletroy has all the students need i.e. two dunnes stores, a retail park, aldi, lidl, two shopping centres, a superquinn, a cinema (way better than the one in cork) and a good few bars and a niteclub.

getting into the city isnt hard there are two bus companies doing the route and a bus every 15 mins. One a night out a taxi is about 7 euro into the city, which between 4 isnt bad... we pay more than that from where i live into cork city.

I was in UL for about a week. My dislike of the place coupled with my dislike of the course meant I left asap. Hated walking into the place cos the walkway in from Plassey Village side was surrounded by bushes and being a skinny little wuss meant I was terrified of walking through there.

Again, this is a personal opinion but I thought the students weren't a diverse bunch at all. Cork seems to be way more interesting.

Also Limerick city is a sh!tehole. :pac:
    although i think saying limerick city is a ****hole is a bit harsh, cork city it must be said is far nicer.

I think ul student body probably is as diverse as anywhere else though that is a very hard thing to judge in a limited time so i think its prob unfair to make an asumption either way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭Benhonan

I grew up about two miles from UL. A big part of my decision to study in UCC was to get away and avoid going to UL at all costs.

UL has a vast, sprawling campus that takes ages to walk across. Fair enough it's all in the one place but it's even harder to get around than UCC IMO. The facilities are amazing, but the Mardyke is very impressive as well. There's a nice little campus community alright, but it's totally separate from the rest of the city. People never go to town before 11pm. Our campus is far nicer, our college is steeped in history, we outperform them in nearly all competitions despite their facilities, we have a better choice of degrees. As already noted, Limerick is a fukkin sewer. Having gone to school there for 6 years there was no hope of me staying. I'm definitely delighted with my choice to go to UCC and got my brother to do the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭captainspeckle

For one the quality of student accomodation available on and off campus is excellent, the campus itself (while not as pretty as UCC) has amazing buildings vast green areas, an olympic size swimming pool, along with gym, indoor soccer, basketball, running track, handball alley, etc, etc. Also there is the bowl for playing rugby, you often get to see ireland or munster playing there and the players are always around campus outdoor running track, a boat house and jetty, the setting on the river shannon is gorgeous and the 'living bridge' footbridge across the shannon is the largest and in my opinion most impressive in europe (amazing at night when lit up.
    There are 7 excellent restaurants, 3 bars, live acts such as the blizzards, coronas, etc play there regularily (not just on RAG week). Two concert halls with regular comedic acts, a weekly fresh produce farmers marketing, pool room, chill out rooms, a better computer to pupil ratio than UCC, a large spar shop and so much more...

Plus the way that all the students are accomodated together in the castletroy area, rather than spread all over the city gives the area a really cool student atmosphere that cork as a vibrant city just does have.

why dont you just do yourself and all of us a favour and go there is you love the place so much! :D this is the dumbest post i have ever seen!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 SSeanSSS

ya i kinda wish i went there aswell instead of U.C.C. but maybe its a case of the grass is greener on the other side. UL has a lot going for it accommodation is like a little village nd its way cheaper. Nite life seems to be better and they do more to organise work experience. However most people from U.C.C who do visit UL usually just go there during rag week so of course everything seems better:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭deisedude

UCC campus is ridiculs i cant believe you made that argument, have you my tuts where the other side of town in the psycology building (at least 15mins away and 40 mins from where i live) plus half my exams where miles from the college. UL has everything in the one place, they may not have built the buildings on top of each other but it definately is more convient than UCC in that way.

Though fair point about being near to the city, that has advantages (some disadvantages too i may add)

but castletroy has all the students need i.e. two dunnes stores, a retail park, aldi, lidl, two shopping centres, a superquinn, a cinema (way better than the one in cork) and a good few bars and a niteclub.

getting into the city isnt hard there are two bus companies doing the route and a bus every 15 mins. One a night out a taxi is about 7 euro into the city, which between 4 isnt bad... we pay more than that from where i live into cork city.

I did say "For the most part" the campus is more convenient. Obviously due to space restrictions the newer buildings are a bit off campus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

live acts such as the blizzards

I thought that would be a reason not to go there.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭captainspeckle

SSeanSSS wrote: »
    Nite life seems to be better

no its not. thats a fact. i learned this the hard way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

No. They don't have the course I wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭PhysiologyRocks

bleg wrote: »

Same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭Leopardi

Is the issue of academic excellence superfluous to your requirements?

Leopardi wrote: »
    Is the issue of academic excellence superfluous to your requirements?

Clearly it's of utmost importance to him..... he did pick UCC after all...

Clearly it's of utmost importance to him..... he did pick UCC after all...

. . . yes, it's perfectly understandable why he would be so concerned about the other issues he mentioned then :rolleyes:.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

You're a 3rd year student right? If you felt that strongly about UL (which you've demonstrated in your extra comments; you could have went to UL three years ago! :pac:
    deisedude wrote: »

Totally agree with this, UCC's campus size and distance from my house/city centre means a lot to me. It's an important factor as far as I'm concerned.

Same on this.

My reasons for UCC are pretty easy, it had my course, it was close to home and the points for it made the college pretty high on my choice list. The small size of the campus, the friendly people, the quality of the academic side of things; all aspects of things I've seen, all weigh in for me to like the college and maybe entrench me in siding with the college even though I haven't seen any other insitution. I'm well happy at UCC. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Aodan83

Same again.
    Can stay at home going to UCC aswell. Couldn't have afforded move out myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 804 ✭✭✭yerayeah

Here's where I know you're talking sh1t. All college food is absolute muck...

yerayeah wrote: »
    Here's where I know you're talking sh1t. All college food is absolute muck...

You're from an IT aren't you!!!:p

Barfood in college is still pretty sweet in most Uni's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Shyster

Though I don't condone this thread at all (?!), the comments made by people in relation to academic excellence in UCC are so typical of a UCC attitude, and exactly WHY I chose to go to UL over UCC... :P That, and my qualification is better than its alleged equivalent in UCC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 SSeanSSS

actually the food in U.C.C is savage!

Shyster wrote: »
    Though I don't condone this thread at all (?!), the comments made by people in relation to academic excellence in UCC are so typical of a UCC attitude, and exactly WHY I chose to go to UL over UCC... :P That, and my qualification is better than its alleged equivalent in UCC.

Assuming your comment refers to me, I would like to point out a number of issues. I did not automatically assume that UCC is better than UL across its range of faculties and departments - if you re-read my reply, you will recognise that it was phrased as a question.

In my case I was better off at UCC, owing to the credentials of the academic staff and the reputation of the particular Department involved. I graduated from UCC five years ago; whether a "UCC attitude" pervades my thinking is open to question.

I would like to assume that potential employers judge the reputation of the University and its staff, rather than the social amenities of the city in question. I imagine that the presence of renowned staff members would attain precedence over the proximity of Dunnes Stores etc.

hello everyone, i started this thread and i did it as a piss take, i did NOT attend ucc in fact i have just completed 4 years in UL.

My girlfriend is at ucc and loves it... anytime i have been there i thought it was amazing.

am not an expert in academic excellence. UL was the only place in the country i could do my course so i went there, and i loved it.

but do i think UL is better then UCC.......... Yes.... then again i also am quite sure that i am biased as is everyone else.

THis thread is just a wind up and should be considered as such.

sorry is this annoys anyone

hello everyone, i started this thread and i did it as a piss take, i did NOT attend ucc in fact i have just completed 4 years in UL.

My girlfriend is at ucc and loves it... anytime i have been there i thought it was amazing.

am not an expert in academic excellence. UL was the only place in the country i could do my course so i went there, and i loved it.

but do i think UL is better then UCC.......... Yes.... then again i also am quite sure that i am biased as is everyone else.

THis thread is just a wind up and should be considered as such.

sorry is this annoys anyone

While I imagine most of us realised the facetious nature of the thread, it did highlight some important issues.

Why do you think UL is better than UCC?

• Advertisement

Leopardi wrote: »
    While I imagine most of us realised the facetious nature of the thread, it did highlight some important issues.

Why do you think UL is better than UCC?
    because i went there and therefore have vast knowledge of ul and i am very biased, i have very limited knowledge of ucc, and even if i did find aspects of ucc to be better i am biased so i would ignore them.

im quite sure if i had went to ucc id say it is better.

Advertisement