Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Advice on Car - 40k

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Tipp Man wrote: »
    Hands off i've already bought that car:):) (not sure why its still up??)

And what a brilliant car it is even if i do say so myself, i'm easliy getting 35mpg from it and can get 40mpg on motorway with cruise control. it is an absolute joy to drive

If you can get an 08 one of these then the tax is only 600 odd per annum, if you spending 40k on a car then that rate of tax shouldn't affect you

I thought I'd seen that on boards before:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Tipp Man wrote: »
    Hands off i've already bought that car

Congrats - nice motor. Hopefully it's one of those rare BMWs with the working indicators! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

both great cars and i have owned the 3 series but for me has to be a 630i looks the part and moves well considering about 35mpg and yes it does do this mpg to anyone who thinks thats a joke i used to have one granted mine was a manual

http://www.carzone.ie/search/BMW/6-Series/630-Ci-S/200919192738456/advert?channel=CARS

http://www.carzone.ie/search/BMW/6-Series/630-Conv/200910192074980/advert?channel=CARS

http://www.carzone.ie/search/BMW/6-Series/630i/200836189891792/advert?channel=CARS

http://www.carzone.ie/search/BMW/6-Series/630i--Co/200843190623075/advert?channel=CARS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

Ariel atom.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Lexus1976

Lads I was asking for advice on my op. Please read again very very slowly as it appears that some of you are missing the point!!!! In relation to the engine size. :rolleyes: Why does this always happen in this forum?

Thanks to all those posters that read my post and understood and came back with advice. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Lexus1976

Matt Simis wrote: »
    You mean you are doing perfectly average mileage?

What are these miscellaneous service costs you keep quoting?
    No one is suggesting Twin Turbo V8s, the difference both technically and servicing been a 2.0, 2.5 and a 3.0 natually aspirated is minimal. Likewise Turbo diesels are turbo diesels, entry to mid range isnt really that big a difference.
    Looking at BMWs (for example) there is only a few MPG between them and if you buy a car in the new tax band then the tax is a moot point (assuming good CO2 emissions) anyway.

You would also be able to take advantage of the dumbass Irish attitude that anything over 2.0 is "bad" and get a better spec'ed and driving car for the same or less than the entry level engine you seem so enamored with.

The dumbass Irish attitude as you call it, is what made Ireland one of the richest counties in the world.

Your type of attitude is what caused the meltdown. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭mad dave

it's not a lot of mileage when you refer to servicing costs.
    most modern cars will go for up to 30,000 before a next service.
    if you go for german car, you are usually getting a car that will go for about 100,000 km's before you will here of any minor glitches and most will go for about 250 plus easily.
    might you consider the new passat cc with the 2.0 litre tdi engine.
    it's a saloon that looks like a coupe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Lexus1976 wrote: »
    The dumbass Irish attitude as you call it, is what made Ireland one of the richest counties in the world.

He's actually given quite good advice there. You can take advantage or this nations phobia of bigger engines to get a really good car as opposed to merely a good one

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

We were never rich, it was merely a loan and you have also been fooled into believing small engine = cheaper :P

Have a look at this.

http://www.bmwblog.com/2009/06/12/bmw-m3-vs-toyota-prius-its-how-you-drive-it-that-matters/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

That's actually the most retarded post i've seen on the forum by a long shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

this thread makes me sad

its this kind of short sightedness that makes the 316i such a common car here, they wouldnt be caught dead in one in the uk or germany

why in gods name would you want to cripple a good car with an awful engine?

if you are buying a 08 car tax will be on emissions not cc, so tax may not be a feature?

insurance, ive been insuring bmws with 2.5l + engines since i was 24 with no issues and premiums have all been under 900 euro

mpg, again most modern petrol engines are pretty frugal and your mileage does not warrant a diesel

so what is your reason again for sticking to 2 litre max :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 64,835 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I don't think there's any point lads. I'm gonna vote BMW 3 series 316i couple M Sport. It is what the OP really needs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

unkel wrote: »
    I don't think there's any point lads. I'm gonna vote BMW 3 series 316i couple M Sport. It is what the OP really needs.

It's what he wants.
    Definitely not what he needs..

As what he needs is to get out of this mindset of small engined cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

id get an audi RS 4 or 6

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭YozzerHughes

Lads I was asking for advice on my op. Please read again very very slowly as it appears that some of you are missing the point!!!! In relation to the engine size. :rolleyes: Why does this always happen in this forum?

Thanks to all those posters that read my post and understood and came back with advice. ;)

Jsus you really don't want advice at all do you?

Go to carzone, filter by coupe, 2 litres, €40k, 1 year old then close your eyes and point at the screen. Buy whatever your finger lands on. TBH they're all the same really. People were trying to show you that you can get a far superior car and much greater driving pleasure by thinking outside the box a little. But whatever. Enjoy wasting your money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

Go to carzone, filter by coupe, 2 litres, €40k, 1 year old then close your eyes and point at the screen. Buy whatever your finger lands on. TBH they're all the same really. People were trying to show you that you can get a far superior car and much greater driving pleasure by thinking outside the box a little. But whatever. Enjoy wasting your money.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭omega man

Another +1 here. Thats the advice you wanted. On a side note i find it amazing that people i know who spend a fortune on smoking for example are amazed that i pay 900+ a year for road tax! OP you dont have to take peoples advice but please appreciate the time they took to help you out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Oh dear. That is officially the stupidest post ever on Boards. There's no point in even beginning to explain why.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

There are so many things wrong with that post its better to simply just requote it for amusement.

• Advertisement
Advertisement