Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Big Lawnmower Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Technique wrote: »
    Can anyone advise me as to what would be wrong wth my mower?

Halfway through cutting the lawn it started to splutter and almost died out. It eventually got going, but after a few yards it spluttered again and died out. It wouldn't start again.

Is there anything simple I can check before taking it for repair? It seems like fuel starvation, is there a fuel filter on a petrol-engined mower?

It's a 20 year old Rover with a Briggs and Stratton 50cc engine. I know it's old, but it's really sturdy and usually reliable.

Thanks.

Has the petrol been sitting in it for a while? May be dead fuel. Drain and put new stuff in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Technique

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Has the petrol been sitting in it for a while? May be dead fuel. Drain and put new stuff in.

No, it's 'new' fuel. It's the second cut of the season, and I had no problems a few weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭jimmyw

Is the grass too high or wet maybe? It depends on the type of engine but if its the normal regular type there is a filter on the end of a plastic tube that is in turn attached to the underneath of the carburettor and protrudes into the tank so the carb has to come off.It cant be cleaned, it has to be replaced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

No, it's 'new' fuel. It's the second cut of the season, and I had no problems a few weeks ago.

You have exhausted my mechanical knowledge so! :(

That'll be €2999.63c plus Vat please. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Halfway through cutting the lawn it started to splutter and almost died out. It eventually got going, but after a few yards it spluttered again and died out. It wouldn't start again.

Is there anything simple I can check before taking it for repair? It seems like fuel starvation, is there a fuel filter on a petrol-engined mower?

It's a 20 year old Rover with a Briggs and Stratton 50cc engine. I know it's old, but it's really sturdy and usually reliable.

Thanks.

there should be a little inline fuel filter on the fuel pipe from the bottom of the petrol tank going to the carb, check that.
    Change it anyways, they are only a couple of quid, you can get them off ebay or in your local lawnmower place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭celticmicky

Thanks.

Check to see if the rubber in your fuel cap has swollen. To do this loosen the cap to allow the tank to breathe and start the mower (obviously make sure no fuel will spill out) keep the mower running with the cap slightly opened and see if it still cuts out.

If it still cuts out:

If it has a carburetor bowl (probably a size 13 nut) remove the nut and check the bowl. A common problem with the bowl will be a build up of dirt / rust / or grime. Give it a clean and also clean the little jets and put it back on. Make sure the rubber seal is in place or you will leak petrol.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Nobbies

hi all, looking at buying the honda hf2417 hme ride on,any one with anything good or bad too say on it thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

Nobbies wrote: »
    hi all, looking at buying the honda hf2417 hme ride on,any one with anything good or bad too say on it thanks.

Read back through the thread or do a search on it, I have one and haven't a bad word to say about it having had a handful of different ride-ons before it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Can anybody reccommend a good heavy-ish duty push lawnmower for about €300. I do a lot of grass cutting, for myself, a lot of my neighbors and others as well as mowing the neighborhood green.
    My current lawnmower is about 20 years old and is the absolutely terrible and is hardly capable of cutting grass.
    I ask for a heavy-ish duty lawnmower as sometimes the grass I have to cut is knee height (from dormant houses new people move into) and some times the grass might be fairly damp to cut.
    I cut a lot of grass basically :pac:

I went to the local garden centre today, but anything decent was priced at about €500. The ones about €300 were these little crap plastic yokes. Woodies seems to be much better in terms of price, but Im unsure of what to go for exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,862 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

If your budget is €300 then you need to find a good second hand mower. To cut long grass, especially if it is wet, you need a minimum of 5 hp & ideally more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

Hey Folks

Just banjaxed the lawnmower. Was cutting the grass until the chopper yolks smacked the stump of a small tree. It seems to be jammed when I turn it on but when its off I can turn the cutters ok but still it sounds a bit stuck.

I was thinking of opening it up myself and having a look, it could hardly be serious.

Any takers?

Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

hi is this mower from woodies ok
    G-MACH 3.5HP 16" Petrol Mower ?

It is for a small back and front garden

Thanks

guitarzero wrote: »
    Hey Folks

Just banjaxed the lawnmower. Was cutting the grass until the chopper yolks smacked the stump of a small tree. It seems to be jammed when I turn it on but when its off I can turn the cutters ok but still it sounds a bit stuck.

I was thinking of opening it up myself and having a look, it could hardly be serious.

Any takers?

Cheers.

Pedestrian lawnmower or ride on?

If it is a pedestrian mower and has a bent shaft it may not be fixable.

duckysauce wrote: »
    hi is this mower from woodies ok
    G-MACH 3.5HP 16" Petrol Mower ?

It is for a small back and front garden

Thanks

It wouldn't be great to be honest but will probably last a few years if it doesn't see much work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

It wouldn't be great to be honest but will probably last a few years if it doesn't see much work.

would this one be better so ??

Ryobi 45cm (18") Push Petrol Lawnmower

Ryobi 45cm (18") Push Petrol Lawnmower.

2 Position Height Adjustment for Handle.

Single Point Height Adjust with 7 Positions.

45cm - 18" Gloss Stamped Steel Deck.

55 Litre Grass Bag.

thanks

duckysauce wrote: »
    would this one be better so ??

Ryobi 45cm (18") Push Petrol Lawnmower

Ryobi 45cm (18") Push Petrol Lawnmower.

2 Position Height Adjustment for Handle.

Single Point Height Adjust with 7 Positions.

45cm - 18" Gloss Stamped Steel Deck.

55 Litre Grass Bag.

thanks

To be honest it's much of the same. If I was buying a lawnmower the minimum I would be going for is either a Briggs and Stratton or a Honda engine. Even if it means spending an extra couple of quid in the long run it will stand by you.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭laurpat

Can anyone please advise which mower to buy. I'm going a little over kill as my lawn is not overly big, none the less I think i've it narrowed down to the following

Pro-lawn 6.0 3-1 mulching petrol lawnmore €349
    http://www.buy4now.ie/woodiesdiy/productdetail.aspx?pid=14169&loc=P&catid=102.10.1

The Pro-Lawn has the Briggs and Statton 675 engine which has mixed reviews.

Ryobi Subaru Powerdrive mower €299
    http://www.buy4now.ie/woodiesdiy/productdetail.aspx?pid=12906&loc=P&catid=102.10.1

Seeming the Subaru is the first small engine to use cam chains. Is this good or bad?

My heart is saying go for the Ryobi while my head is saying get the Pro-Lawn 6.0

Any help i'd really appreciate. Hope to buy today/tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

is there anywhere online that sells tyres for a ride on mower? i need two new front tyres soon and the local place is asking car tyre prices!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Discodog wrote: »
    If your budget is €300 then you need to find a good second hand mower. To cut long grass, especially if it is wet, you need a minimum of 5 hp & ideally more.

Sorry just need to ask something. How many much CC would 5hp be? None of the lawnmowers around for sale give the HP, just how many CC

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

sean1141 wrote: »
    is there anywhere online that sells tyres for a ride on mower? i need two new front tyres soon and the local place is asking car tyre prices!!

i expect them to be around that price. its all economies of scale. the amount of car tyres being sold will be millions more than tyres for lawnmowers making car tyres cheaper to produce.

• Advertisement

cocoshovel wrote: »
    Sorry just need to ask something. How many much CC would 5hp be? None of the lawnmowers around for sale give the HP, just how many CC

It can vary so you need to know the HP. Anyone selling a mower should be able to tell you this.

i expect them to be around that price. its all economies of scale. the amount of car tyres being sold will be millions more than tyres for lawnmowers making car tyres cheaper to produce.

I had the same problem buying trailer tyres - they cost more than car tyres :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭fifilarue

Hi All
    I have a Briggs & Stratton Titanium 46S lawnmower and the starter rope is kind of locked-it won't budge and I can't get the blooming thing to move. The person who was to come and have a look at it has let me down and the grass is growing at a rate of about a foot a day. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what the problem might be and if \i could try and fix it myself?
    Thanks in advance
    Fiona

You need to find out if the rope is tangled & not turning the engine or if the engine is seized/locked. Before you do anything take the spark plug cap off of the plug & preferably remove the plug - you may have got a plug spanner with the mower. Then either try turning the engine by putting a spanner on the top of the starter unit or by carefully turning the blade.

If the engine turns then try pulling the starter rope. If the engine doesn't turn then you need some expert help to un-seize it - oil in the plug hole & some gentle easing.

I am assuming that there isn't a load of old grass jammed under the blade.

Its a possibility too that the engine brake could be jamming on or not releasing.But that's good advise from discodog.I would add though if you removed the cover on top, that the pulley for the cord runs in and turn the blade then that would be good too.If the engine then turns freely, then the problem is with the pulley/cord or maybe the little ratchet that sits on the flywheel.

No word from Fifi - I wonder if a male Boardie has rushed to her aid :D

Can anyone recommend an inexpensive lawnmower (under €200). Its for a small back garden. Must cut at 60mm and cut very close to the wall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭fifilarue

Discodog and jimmyw -thanks a million for the brilliant advice, really appreciate it but after spending nearly an hour trying to get the cover off and not succeeding (:rolleyes:), I think it's time for the professionals. Or a cement lorry.
    Thanks again,
    F

Ah don't get the cement truck :D;), is it that it won't come off? Probably just a hidden screw or bolt. Not you fif :p, but the cover. You can do it.:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Glebee

On the look out for a second hand ride on and spotted this on Done Deal.
    Would it be worth a look, seems like a good price. Would people recommend buying from a dealer though...

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/gardenequipment/3217886

Advertisement