Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Big Lawnmower Thread

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

IrishHomer wrote: »
    In fairness to B&Q they sent last mower off for repair under warranty on two occasions and offered to do so a third time.

I think this JCB has a 1450cc Mountfield engine.

well, if you've had a good experience of them, it's your call.
    Of engines, the mountfield is the last of my choice, in order of preference it'd be Honda first, Briggs seconds, Yamaha third, but that just me.:pac:
    As I said before, check who makes the jcb unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

MidlandsM wrote: »
    well, if you've had a good experience of them, it's your call.
    Of engines, the mountfield is the last of my choice, in order of preference it'd be Honda first, Briggs seconds, Yamaha third, but that just me.:pac:
    As I said before, check who makes the jcb unit.

Bad experience I swore i,d never touch mountfield again, but my other half always thinks cheapest is best :o

IrishHomer wrote: »
    Bad experience I swore i,d never touch mountfield again, but my other half always thinks cheapest is best :o

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO...........!:D

Buy right, buy once!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭celticmicky

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO...........!:D

Buy right, buy once!:)

A new advertising slogan right there :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭leshogan

A new advertising slogan right there :cool:

"Buy cheap, Buy twice"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

I have a Castelgarden 12.5/102 with the toothed belt broken. Does anyone have a link to a site where I can see how it fits around the pulleys as it had shot off when it broke. I have the deck dropped and all ready to fit. Also at what angle to each other should the blades be when fitting?
    Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭noah45

What are your views on this for a 1/2 acre garden, no obsticles, slight slope downwards.

Husqvarna CT-153
    Kohler engine 8.1kW (11 HP)
    Manual Transmission
    1 cylinder
    38" blade
    0-4.2mph
    Anti scalp wheels
    2 blades
    16" turning radius

I think its side discharge as it says it can be converted to the back with use of deflector.

Would this be a good machine?

noah45 wrote: »
    What are your views on this for a 1/2 acre garden, no obsticles, slight slope downwards.

Husqvarna CT-153
    Kohler engine 8.1kW (11 HP)
    Manual Transmission
    1 cylinder
    38" blade
    0-4.2mph
    Anti scalp wheels
    2 blades
    16" turning radius

I think its side discharge as it says it can be converted to the back with use of deflector.

Would this be a good machine?

nope, forget about side discharge, rear is the only way to go, side discharge will clog at the first bit of moisture in the grass.
    And go for a minimum of 13.5 horses in a Briggs & strat.....I'm not mad on kohlers meself, but thats just me.
    Also, consider a hydro gearbox,no too much dearer.;)

my 2 cents.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,828 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

nope, forget about side discharge, rear is the only way to go, side discharge will clog at the first bit of moisture in the grass.
    And go for a minimum of 13.5 horses in a Briggs & strat.....I'm not mad on kohlers meself, but thats just me.
    Also, consider a hydro gearbox,no too much dearer.;)

my 2 cents.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

Good lawnmower? Any one ever use one? Or buy cheap, buy twice? Not even 1/4 acre of lawn once a week.

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/gardening/2013361

Full?id=5786424

Or is this thread only for ride on lawnmowers?

• Advertisement

Good lawnmower? Any one ever use one? Or buy cheap, buy twice? Not even 1/4 acre of lawn once a week.

Full?id=5786424

its cheap for a reason;)

Wolf who made this are gone bust,so no parts, and this'll be a chinesse made yoke anyways so if you did buy it, you'd need a barge pole to come with it as standard and some aspirin, because it'd give you a massive headache/ballache.:P

see here- http://www.diyweek.net/news/news.asp?id=12657

I've no crystal ball, but it'd be a case of buy cheap,bye twice......

.......bye:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

Cheers for that. Might invest a couple more quid in a better machine.

Cheers for that. Might invest a couple more quid in a better machine.

good call:)

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Blowheads

Ok, just read all the pages here and seems the upshot is that there are loads of different views here. I have an idea what to look for and so on, but what I need now is some recommendations on places to look (cept donedeal and adverts.ie). Living in Galway in case anyone has any brainwaves.

regards,
    Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^^^^

secondhand or new??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I've given up on powered mowers and am now the owner of a 50 euro

P_PRO-LAWN_PUSH_MOWER_2.jpg

I feel all enivornmentally friendly :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

mike65 wrote: »

they wouldnt cut butter for you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Well it made short work of the winter growth of the back garden and if the wind keeps going today (without bringing a shower with it) I'll deal with the front this afternoon.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

it probably would be grand it you had a really small garden but for the likes of me in the countryside its a no go asmy lawn is about half an acre

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

anyone any experience of honda 2417 ride on, seems expensive but looks good, has fan assisted blower and a wider opening to rear bag to help avoid blockages, have a honda 2415 ride on currently but have alot of lawn and find it a bit underpowered and it blocks alot..i kinda have honda in th ebrain as being the most reliable, do the john deeres or castle gardens work as well, they dont have honda engines do they?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭dhaslam

Anyone used a lawnmower for long rough grass? There seems to be a choice of brush mowers like the Honda UM 616 EB and brush butters like the DR All Terrain. I just want to cut the grass once or twice each year to keep down scrutch grass, nettles, thistles and briars. I have a DR wheeled strimmer but it isn't really up to the job.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Full?id=5786424

That ad has been on DoneDeal for ages!

Just picked up by new Jonsered today (Thanks to MidlandsM for all advice), nice machine that.
    Peeing rain so didn't get to use it yet! :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

mike65 wrote: »

Ah Mike, I have seen women cut their ladygardens with bigger machines than that! :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shane732

Right lads I'm looking for a good reliable push mower. The garden is about 1/2 an acre.

I used to use a ride on but we've various flowerbeds etc... which make it quite difficult to mower - therefore I've gone back to a push mower.

My own push mower has gone wallop so now I'm in need of a new one.

Any recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

I'm looking for a petrol self-propelled mower. Thinking of a cheap Woodies Pro-Lawn but concensus here seems to be that the Briggs engines are fine but rest of machine is crap? Same for the McCulloughs?

I'm wondering should I splash out on Hayter HY490 at nearly €900! Are they a reputable brand? Any other brands I should consider in this price range?

Also lawn is only about 45' x 55', is a mower like this going to be too heavy for all the turning required on this size lawn?

Thanks, Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

My 18 year old Harry has died:(. Anyone know sellers of decent second hand 18" cut push mowers in the Meath area?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,828 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

You can't go wrong with a Honda. This supplier is excellent & you can even talk to real people on the phone. Unfortunately you will pay more now than if you had bought in the Autumn but still good value. The mower will have a full Honda warranty.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/WSS-Direct/_i.html?_nkw=honda+izy&_trksid=p3286.c0.m57

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Honda's lovely but I'm in the €80-€120 second hand bracket..

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭dhaslam

I'm looking for a petrol self-propelled mower. Thinking of a cheap Woodies Pro-Lawn but concensus here seems to be that the Briggs engines are fine but rest of machine is crap? Same for the McCulloughs?

I'm wondering should I splash out on Hayter HY490 at nearly €900! Are they a reputable brand? Any other brands I should consider in this price range?

Also lawn is only about 45' x 55', is a mower like this going to be too heavy for all the turning required on this size lawn?

Thanks, Paul

Certainly seems to be the business. I would go for the electric start version, a little more expensive but very handy. There is also a 16" electric start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭bazual

Well folks,

Lookin for a new tractor mower thats gonna do both my house and the folks house. Area is about 1.5 acres combined and my area is a bit of a slope so will need to be pressure lubricated (new term to me as of tonight). Father wants a collector and also possibility of mulching and would prefer the rear ejection. As per a previous post we were looking at the Husqvarna CT 151 or Husqvarna CT 153 which are around the 2500 mark, these are side ejection though with deflector available as an extra.

Anyone any suggestions, any other makes that have this oil pump pressure system I will need for the slope apart from the Husqvarna ones. Hoping to get something within the next week if possible as the old one packed in.

Cheers
    B~

Advertisement