Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Big Lawnmower Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,869 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Na Get a Schulte - 42 ft ( yes feet not inches) width mower.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Vtwin

Hi
    Bought a second hand husqvarna a few weeks ago and the drive belt went yesterday (cutting belt already replaced 2 weeks ago), its a CTH210xp and I went along to a husqvarna dealer with the old belt and the part number 5321701-40 (112 ich belt). He sold me a spurious belt said the real deal would set me back a fortune, and didnt stock them. Any way €60 quid the lighter and 2 hours later (after dismantling the cutting deck), I had the belt on, but its slipping all over the place.

Bringing belt back in the morning, but was wondering if anyone knows where i could get a genuine belt or are they all spurious ones on the go.

I wouldnt mind paying for the real deal, as I reckon its worth it in the long run, I dont fancy changing this belt to often, and I reckon the 21hp engine wouldnt be too easy on them either.

Thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

It's nothing to do with to do with the 21hp engine, its to do with the tension on the belt and the belt itself.
    When you say the drive belt, is it the belt driving the deck or the transmission?

Thanks MidlandsM, its the transmission belt. Turns out the belt was too big, got same belt from different dealer (112 inch) for €16 v's €58 from other place.
    Its a better fit but still slipping slightly, but sure might get me through the summer.

No hassles V, is there no way to tension up the belt a tad better?
    Also, some price difference there....eh...

• Advertisement

Some difference in the price alright, for the same brand of (spurious) belt, both from Husqvarna Dealers.

The hydro gear box is supposed to have a self tensioner, sure we will see what happens, at least I know how to dismantle the deck, and pull the whole thing apart.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 NJR

Hi,
    I need to buy a lawn mower for a town house i rent out. The garden is quite big for a town house and i dont want to spend too much but that said i dont want to buy one that wont do the job and last either.
    Any ideas on where (Dublin area) and what to buy??
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

Folks,
    Has anyone used the Jonsered 2217CMA? If so what do they think of it?
    Im looking at buying a ride on and this came in the €2500.

Folks,
    Has anyone used the Jonsered 2217CMA? If so what do they think of it?
    Im looking at buying a ride on and this came in the €2500.

is it Hydrostatic?
    How many horses? maker of engine?
    How much warranty?
    Collector or Mulcher?

MidlandsM wrote: »
    is it Hydrostatic?
    How many horses? maker of engine?
    How much warranty?
    Collector or Mulcher?

Here you go:

Jonsered LT 2217 CMA NEW
    • 16.5 HP Briggs & Stratton Engine
    • 92 cm / 36" Cutting width
    • 0 - 7.3 km/h Speed, forward, min - max.

Powerful garden tractor with Super Vac, one of the most efficient cutting decks on the market.

It has a large, integral collector that is easily emptied from the driver’s seat. The automatic transmission allows you to infinitely adjust the control of the driving speed from a single lever, for a better flow to your mowing.

The CM tractors also have counter-rotating blades for efficient collection. They also have a robust, cast front axle, a guarantee of durability and a long, reliable service life.

• Advertisement

Here you go:

Jonsered LT 2217 CMA NEW
    • 16.5 HP Briggs & Stratton Engine
    • 92 cm / 36" Cutting width
    • 0 - 7.3 km/h Speed, forward, min - max.

Powerful garden tractor with Super Vac, one of the most efficient cutting decks on the market.

It has a large, integral collector that is easily emptied from the driver’s seat. The automatic transmission allows you to infinitely adjust the control of the driving speed from a single lever, for a better flow to your mowing.

The CM tractors also have counter-rotating blades for efficient collection. They also have a robust, cast front axle, a guarantee of durability and a long, reliable service life.

ok, seems like a decent spec.....i'd haggle on price and warranty - try and get 2 year or 18months warranty at least.

ok, seems like a decent spec.....i'd haggle on price and warranty - try and get 2 year or 18months warranty at least.

He has the mower up for €3000 and will do it for €2500. Now this is only over the phone. I could try to haggle (am useless at it) when I go up to see it.

He has the mower up for €3000 and will do it for €2500. Now this is only over the phone. I could try to haggle (am useless at it) when I go up to see it.

If you don't ask, you don't get;) - defo push on the warranty - 2 years or nothing, remember, a mower will not be working over the winter anyways so it's no biggie for him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

its not dear but its not a bargain either. tbh i doesnt have much time for those jonsered/husqvarna mowers always found them to block easily. try a few dealers to see best price

So far the best price Ive gotten was €2450 from a dealer in Cavan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

lads sorry to jump in here,
    have a big lawn to cut, maybe acre and half..have a honda 2415 whihc is pretty beat up at this point..thinking of changing..priced a new honda, quated fairly big money..what else is good, husqvarna, john deere? are the mulchers mowers any good as the bag is a pain in the ass, heard before they are not worth a ****e unless grass is bone dry..found the honda good in fairness to it

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭SchrodingersCat

Mulchers arent worth a **** on Irish grass for a couple of reasons:
    1. The grass is normally too wet
    2. The leftover grass clippings can cause bad drainage
    3. The leftover grass clippings can cause moss growth, which is pretty hard to get rid of.
    4. Anyone walking on the grass will end up bringing it into the house with them on their shoes.

Alot of salespeople will try and sell a lawnmower based on it having a mulcher, but at the end of the day its just a plastic cover for the grass collecting chute that recycles the grass clippings through the blades a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

lads sorry to jump in here,
    have a big lawn to cut, maybe acre and half..have a honda 2415 whihc is pretty beat up at this point..thinking of changing..priced a new honda, quated fairly big money..what else is good, husqvarna, john deere? are the mulchers mowers any good as the bag is a pain in the ass, heard before they are not worth a ****e unless grass is bone dry..found the honda good in fairness to it

1.5 acres.... get a mower with a good wide deck! have a John Deere LR135 (manual engage as its an older model) and it takes 50 mins to cut about .75 acres (have 2 neighbours lawns to cut at the same time).
    I have a mulcher shoved down the shoot and i haven't picked up any grass this year as its a new lawn. there would be about 10+ bags if i did and thats a hell of a lot more work if i had to be getting rid of it. the new model LR135 has a bigger bag and an electric engage.
    i cut it every 4/5 days depending on the growth but the more often you cut the easier it is on the mower.
    my brother was saying JD have a 20hp mower with a 6 inch wider deck than mine.... but its nearly a 1000 euro more expensive than my one new.

If only petrol JD mowers were made by JD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

ya you are kinda buying the brand name with john deere but ive read before that they are just re badged..maybe they are all the same although my honda has a honda engine..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭budfox

Hello all,

Just wondering if anybody has any suggestions for servicing a ride-on outside Dublin area? It's about 5 years old (at least) and the belts appear to be slipping on it, there's deffo a tension issue there...clutch not disengaging. Also, I think the blades need to be re-aligned as the cut is all over the place.

It's located between Dunboyne and Summerhill. There are a few located around the place but any recommendations would be welcome. Unfortunately, this time of year is not the best for any investigative work by an mechanic as they are flat out doing the normal service work. I think the battery is leaking somewhere too as it's brand new and doesn't hold a charge...and there's a few other odds n sods to be attended to...

11hp B&S engine which seems to be fine...it's called a Mowmaster...

Any ideas would be welcome,

Many thanks in advance

B

Hi Bud,
    You need a local small engine mechanic that does ride ons. There's usually one locally or even a bloke who does it part time in his garage out back - ask round.
    Get a quote prior to the repair.
    Re; the battery, Gel Batteries don't leak, did you trickle charge it or just use an ordinary car battery charger? If so, you fried the battery and will need a new one, cost €40 to €50 retail.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

Hi there,
    I'm looking at buying a mower at the moment and thinking of getting a Snapper SE Line ESPV21675. Has anyone any experience of these? It's got a B&S engine and AFAIK, Snapper's are a fairly good make of mower?
    Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Isaacunt

I have a Mountfield petrol mower, its about 5 years. Its started to sound like its low on petrol or its struggling to keep going, it sounds a little better but not for long when I start cutting some grass. Its then starts to smoke like mad, its got plenty of oil and petrol, now I know nothing about mowers, so I thought maybe someone on here might have an idea as to what might be the problem. Cheers!
    Its something like this one.

mountfield_421hp.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,743 ✭✭✭meercat

budfox
    try conways in ratoath.on ashbourne road
    always found him helpful and inexpensive
    great for servicing

• Registered Users Posts: 4 chrysty

Vtwin wrote: »
    Thanks MidlandsM, its the transmission belt. Turns out the belt was too big, got same belt from different dealer (112 inch) for €16 v's €58 from other place.
    Its a better fit but still slipping slightly, but sure might get me through the summer.

Hi Vtwin...hope you got your mower sorted in the end I spent the day googling for a 112'' drive belt and came across your entry here. My drive v-belt needs replacing and I as yet have not found an alternative to the local dealer in wild west cork,. who has a high price tag on these belts. If you get the time can you share the name of the guy that supplied your correct belt at a really teasonable price?

Kind regards,
    chrysty

Isaacunt wrote: »
    I have a Mountfield petrol mower, its about 5 years. Its started to sound like its low on petrol or its struggling to keep going, it sounds a little better but not for long when I start cutting some grass. Its then starts to smoke like mad, its got plenty of oil and petrol, now I know nothing about mowers, so I thought maybe someone on here might have an idea as to what might be the problem. Cheers!
    Its something like this one.

mountfield_421hp.jpg

In the 5 years you have it, was it ever serviced?
    chrysty wrote: »
    Hi Vtwin...hope you got your mower sorted in the end I spent the day googling for a 112'' drive belt and came across your entry here. My drive v-belt needs replacing and I as yet have not found an alternative to the local dealer in wild west cork,. who has a high price tag on these belts. If you get the time can you share the name of the guy that supplied your correct belt at a really teasonable price?

Kind regards,
    chrysty

Chrysty, try McHugh - http://www.mchc.ie/ - they have fecking everything:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 chrysty

MidlandsM........Many thanks. I have been getting no where fast in my search!

I will check that link out right now.
    Kind regards,

chrysty

chrysty wrote: »
    MidlandsM........Many thanks. I have been getting no where fast in my search!

I will check that link out right now.
    Kind regards,

chrysty

if you've no joy online, ring them in the am.

MM.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Isaacunt

In the 5 years you have it, was it ever serviced?

Chrysty, try McHugh - http://www.mchc.ie/ - they have fecking everything:)

What`s a service? No I did`nt, it cost me an arm and a leg....Mountfield seem to be the only make I see that`s good, any other`s I should check out?

Advertisement