Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Number Plate Lights?

Options
  • 29-07-2009 12:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Hi guys, did a quick search of the forum and was wondering, what is the legal standpoint on something like blue LED's for number plate lights? I've found some stuff but it was pretty vague...

I have seen cars driving with them, and I really want them just because I dislike the standard ones. Also, I piked them from my dead Polo (Interior lights, lets just not go there..)

Putting them on a blue car, just test fitted, and if anything, they make the plate more visible than the filament bulbs, so really, I'm being EXTRA legal...anyone? Fine, just me then...

Thanks Guys!!!!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,589 ✭✭✭tossy

My car passed the NCT with white LEDs fitted,blue just looks too Maxwell Power for my liking! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

You cannot use blue lights on the outside of your car regardless of their purpose. Don't have it to quote here but I know the lawman can get pretty pi$$ed about this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Thrain

congo_90 wrote: »
    You cannot use blue lights on the outside of your car regardless of their purpose. Don't have it to quote here but I know the lawman can get pretty pi$$ed about this

Aha. That may put a large spanner in the works. Must switch back.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Thrain wrote: »
    Hi guys, did a quick search of the forum and was wondering, what is the legal standpoint on something like blue LED's for number plate lights? I've found some stuff but it was pretty vague...

I have seen cars driving with them, and I really want them just because I dislike the standard ones. Also, I piked them from my dead Polo (Interior lights, lets just not go there..)

Putting them on a blue car, just test fitted, and if anything, they make the plate more visible than the filament bulbs, so really, I'm being EXTRA legal...anyone? Fine, just me then...

Thanks Guys!!!!

do you mean the colour that the new mercs and Audi and BMW's have?
    there a kinda white / xenon colour LED and are perfectly legal as they are more white than blue.

if so you can pick them up relatively cheap on ebay or from www.hidirl.com

• Registered Users Posts: 73,387 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Why would you want blue number plate lights, each to their own and all that, but they just look knackery IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭projectgtr

just go with what kciere is talking about, nice bright white LEDs with a blueish hue just like the newer lexus, i run them on my car and have no problem with guards or NCT in saying that run blue lights at your own risk, could be the difference in getting points some night or not ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 C.Rizzle

There grand once there not stong blue and look the part on thecar aswell,
    i have them and dont get pulled that often

• Registered Users Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

I'm pretty sure that as long as you can knock them off at a push of a button you should be ok.

ha what????
    Were talking about the to small lights over the reg plate.
    Thats the first iv ever heard of that a switch ha ya mad thing

Oh sorry, I thought ya had LED's around it or something, you know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭The-Game

I was about to question who turns off their numberplate lights with a button haha

Not that hard to think about it, like having LEDs in your grill, if you have a button to turn them off then everything is ok. Same goes for haloes, I have them on my car, but I have a switch to turn them off in the case of a Guard asking about it.

Are u for real??
    WERE NOT TALKING ABOUT THEM
    were talkin bout swapin ur standard lights
    with blue ones!!
    Fukin knightrider over here

Can you please re-read my above statement until you understand it fully, then give a logical reply.

C.Rizzle wrote: »
    Are u for real??
    with blue ones!!

Yes i thought that was an overreaction the guy has already admitted he thought we were talking about something else!

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭bogs

Totally illegal,dont go down that road your a jampot for the cops.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

bogs wrote: »

are you for real?
    how can something that is standard in new shape Lexus, Audi, BMW and Merc cars be illegal?

the lights we are talking about are these :

img5327l.jpg

not the nean blue like bulbs that were the fashion years ago :D

here is an example of what the blue/LED/xenon licence plate bulbs look like to whats standard on older cars : blue/LED/xenon on left, older standard on right

attachment.php?attachmentid=286911&stc=1&d=1247712714

bogs wrote: »

eh....
    tossy wrote: »
    My car passed the NCT with white LEDs fitted,blue just looks too Maxwell Power for my liking! :D

:rolleyes:

Not that hard to think about it, like having LEDs in your grill, if you have a button to turn them off then everything is ok. Same goes for haloes, I have them on my car, but I have a switch to turn them off in the case of a Guard asking about it.

Out of interest what are you driving? And do you have a pic of it with the lights in it??

An eg civic, and my headlights yeah?

• Advertisement

The-Game wrote: »
    Out of interest what are you driving? And do you have a pic of it with the lights in it??

If by Halos you mean the Celis style rings from BMWs why would you need a switch to turn them off? there are thousands of BMW's out there with them.

An eg civic, and my headlights yeah?

The haloes with the on/off switch

tossy wrote: »
    If by Halos you mean the Celis style rings from BMWs why would you need a switch to turn them off? there are thousands of BMW's out there with them.

According to the guards I'm not allowed use em :confused:
    dont care anyways, have the switch.

The-Game wrote: »
    The haloes with the on/off switch

1675857099a10827927505l.jpg

sorry dont have a pic of the switch, shall post tomorrow for you.

According to the guards I'm not allowed use em :confused:
    dont care anyways, have the switch.

What reason did the garda give you for not being allowed have them on??

Not a practical form of lighting or something along those lines, doesnt bother me though, switch is handy.

Not a practical form of lighting or something along those lines, doesnt bother me though, switch is handy.

Thats nonsense! the Celis rings are designed as a sidelight/parking light you should still have dipped and main beams!

Yeah I do.

Well then politely point that out to the Garda the next time,but make sure your car is other wise 200% road legal! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

C.Rizzle wrote: »
    Are u for real??
    with blue ones!!

We'll have less of that kind of talk, no need to talk to another poster like that over a misunderstanding

Advertisement