Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do retailers know anything about customer service

Options
  • 28-07-2009 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭

Am I totally off the wall in saying that customer service sucks in Ireland?

Example: I was at a supermarket checkout where two female ckeackout assistants were talking across the customers infront of me about what one of them have gotten up to the previous night. She never said please or thanks when the customer handed over their money.

Surely if a manager is worth anything they would not allow this to happen?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Did you complain in the shop by any chance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Unless someone complains to a manager they can't be pulled up on it.

Did you complain to a manager?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Was my name mentioned my any chance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭c_dog

i agree with you, i worked for dunnes stores as a customer service operator. i myself was polite and worked hard but as for the other people who worked there i found them rude and they didn't seem to give a ****

Did you complain in the shop by any chance?

Dont be stupid.

AH is a much more effective means of venting dissatisifaction

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I hope they washed their hands before handling your sweets...:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭littletiger

c_dog wrote: »
    i agree with you, i worked for dunnes stores as a customer service operator. i myself was polite and worked hard but as for the other people who worked there i found them rude and they didn't seem to give a ****

The first two asked did I tell a manager. As you have worked in the industry - would I have achieved anything if I had reported it?

The first two asked did I tell a manager. As you have worked in the industry - would it have achieved anything if I had reported it?

Reporting it to AH won't achieve anything but reporting it to a manager would.

The first two asked did I tell a manager. As you have worked in the industry - would I have achieved anything if I had reported it?

Yes.

A little bit extra in your coleslaw next time you went there.

Thats why i never complain about the food in a resturant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

yea it would.

If my staff did that they'd know all about it. Customer complaint = verbal warning tbh.
    I'm not a v nice boss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

Good old Irish, don't report something to anyone that might be able to do something but be sure to moan about it to friends. (no offence OP, we all do it.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Am I totally off the wall in saying that customer service sucks in Ireland?

Example: I was at a supermarket checkout where two female ckeackout assistants were talking across the customers infront of me about what one of them have gotten up to the previous night. She never said please or thanks when the customer handed over their money.

As powerful as they are, managers are not allowed to reach into the minds of customers and remove their ridiculous sense of entitlement.

Mores the pity.

betafrog wrote: »
    The lack of customer service in Ireland has a lot to do with too many customers being self righteous cünts. After a while of trying to be polite and courteous you get tired of being treated like utter shîte and start treating the customers the same why. It's a 2 way street. If you expect respect try showing some.

How was standing there saying nothing and being spoken across being rude. Do you like your job? I think you are one of the people I am talking about. Can you define a self righteous c*** in the context of the issue I raised and please define the term c***

• Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

As powerful as they are, managers are not allowed to reach into the minds of customers and remove their ridiculous sense of entitlement.

Mores the pity.

No, but they're allowed to reach into the pockets of customers and remove ridiculous amounts of their earnings though.

F*ck em, power to the people, complain with your feet, shop elsewhere.

Mores the pity.

Surely they are entitled to being served in an efficient and mannerly way?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

How was standing there saying nothing and being spoken across being rude. Do you like your job? I think you are one of the people I am talking about. Can you define a self righteous c*** in the context of the issue I raised and please define the term c***
    this is AH...no defining here...
    boob talk maybe...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Surely they are entitled to being served in an efficient and mannerly way?

You chose not to say anything to the only person that could do anything about it, the manager

entitlement waived tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Agree 100% OP....had a similar experience just last week in my local Dunnes...two till operators and a manager having a chat as they do. I walk up with my basket, get virtually stared through...the girl operating my till decides to start rabbiting on about her "pho-in" and how she switched to whatever comapny for free texts...the manager walking away shouting back over his shoulder about what package he was on...my only interaction with the girl on the till was being barked at did I have a clubcard.
    It's pretty disheartening walking out of a shop after dropping 40 quid and not even getting smile or feckin' hello, thank you, or a goodbye.

To those saying complain to the manager...lol. All that gets you is smiles and apologies and the minute you're out the door it's "Who was that dry sh*te?".

The trouble is we never complain...and because of that when we do it's ineffectual because it's just seen as someone being cranky or unreasonable...heaven forbid shop staff treat customers with a little manners, in return for our patronage...more over customers are seen as some sort of passingf inconvenience for a lot of staff, or at least that's how it comes across...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭bakkiesbotha

What can a manager do about this? He can't turn back time and make it better. And if he pulls the checkout girl up on this specific incident it will just result in the OP receiving even worse treatment next time he is at the same checkout. Either sullenness or sarcastic, exaggerated politeness.

His job is to be on top of these girls all the time, riding them hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,004 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

snyper wrote: »
    Dont be stupid.

AH is a much more effective means of venting dissatisifaction

Customers shouldn't take it from these till-scum and should always carry a revved up chainsaw when they go shopping.

Many's the time that I've seen body-parts hanging on meat-hooks in Tesco car-parks.

Another satisfied customer.

• Advertisement

Next time it happens OP drop your shopping and walk out.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

........His job is to be on top of these girls all the time, riding them hard.
    :eek:

Any vacancies for managerial positions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

The customer is always right.

Thread/

betafrog wrote: »
    I didn't say you were being rude. I said that after a while of being treated like crap you will starting acting the same way.

In the way that you assume that all retailers know nothing about customer service a retail worker is gonna start feeling like everyone is a dick if they start getting treated that way. You say that they never said please or thank you. When I worked in retail I went out of my way to say please and thank you and heard it back on average 10% of the time. When I worked in retail every second customer would assume you were there to screw them for every penny they had and would become very animated about it.

What's more, the whole Eddie Hobbs and EU Trade Laws craze that has sweeped the nation means that a large number of customers suddenly think they're god and will make it known to you at every possible opportunity. Can't tell ya how many times I heard the phrase "I pay your wages", and before you give out about my Customer Service skills I was awarded for my "skills" several times and have a copy of a letter sent to a previous manager praising my service. Thankfully I only ever did retail part time but I can very easily see why someone would stop caring if they had to do it as their career (no offence to does that do).

Agreed if people are being knob heads then they should be treated as such but until that fact is established people should be dealt with in a professional and friendly manner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Agreed if people are being knob heads then they should be treated as such but until that fact is established people should be dealt with in a professional and friendly manner.

Exactly. Until I or any other customer starts acting like a dickhead, do we not deseve the benefit of the doubt?
    I'll always make it my business to say please or thank you and treat staff in a dignified way (who honestly likes doing this sort of work or thinks it's easy?)...but I'll be damned if I'll keep doing it in the face of ever increasing ignorance and indifference to the customer...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

TheZohan wrote: »
    Next time it happens OP drop your shopping and walk out.

Bang on. I've dumped clothes I was going to buy into a managers hands over the same kind of shyte, and told him exactly why I wasn't buying the stuff. If a shop wants you to hand over your cash, then they'd better keep their staff in line. That was nearly a year ago now I'd say, when people could have their choice of jobs. If the OP is talking about a recent incident, not only are the staff incompetent at their jobs they are pretty fcuking stupid too. The way things are at the moment, they could be replaced in a nano second for someone far more competent and happy to have a damn job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Abigayle wrote: »
    Bang on. I've dumped clothes I was going to buy into a managers hands over the same kind of shyte, and told him exactly why I wasn't buying the stuff. If a shop wants you to hand over your cash, then they'd better keep their staff in line. That was nearly a year ago now I'd say, when people could have their choice of jobs. If the OP is talking about a recent incident, not only are the staff incompetent at their jobs they are pretty fcuking stupid too. The way things are at the moment, they could be replaced in a nano second for someone far more competent and happy to have a damn job.

No. Not really.

But as long as you feel better about yourself, that's cool.

When i go to a supermarket i have a simple checklist of what i value as a good store.

Good produce.
    Good Prices
    Decent Parking

People that are on tills in these places are scanning barcodes and dealing with people 9 hours a day. I'll forgive them for not breaking into conversation with me. Its not what i went into the store for. I went it for my cheap value pack condoms and refuse sack and duct tape.

If however im paying 40k for a new vehicle, i would expect the salesman to at least ask me how my day was and perhaps why im looking for an all terrain amphibious motor vehicle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

I had a experience in Tecso in Nutgrove few weeks back not unlike the OP's. Two teens behind the checkout talking about a night out (massive it was :rolleyes:), anywho they took an eternity to serve me and i complained to the manager about it. The manager told me they where "only human and had the right to talk during work hours"....With a manager like that it's no wonder the shop is in the state it is.

• Advertisement

snyper wrote: »
    I'll forgive them for not breaking into conversation with me. Its not what i went into the store for

I agree.

But the shopping eperience should be neutral at the very least, not negative as described in the OP.

If you spend €100 each week that equates to €5200 per annum. If you lose a few customers like that each week you won't be long having to cut back of staff hours.

Advertisement