Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question on Charities

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭krooney

brummytom wrote: »
    "a quid for the kids!"

Sorry but that is Funny stuff, a quid for the kids! Priceless!

But yes I believe a lot of people are driven due to personal experiences! Personally I got involved in a charity that I have no personal experiences with but I got involved in a round about way! Got asked to design a website for someone, found oput it was a chaarity. worked for them for a while but while i was there I saw the brilliant work they did and I have jusT fundraised for them when i can, lend a hand and other things!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

I wont have anything (directly) to do with any overseas charities.

I do what I can to help local charities such as hospices and the like.

As another poster has already mentioned, I don't want my money/time going toward funding the admin dept for some large charity corporation such as concern.

I would rather see my contribution actually do some work in my own community and my own country first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

krooney wrote: »
    Another Great Cause!

Volunteered at the DSPCA a for a half day a few years ago! They have loads and loads of volunteers. Its unreal if you want to be a dog walker for the day you had to put your name down three or four weeks in advance.

Thanks

:)

I didn't know that, wow.

Ye but its great they have that many volunteers!

Dunno why its so popular, could be because of where it is! And as well I think some people that help out are doing community service there! (I think)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Its very likely this is true but at least its the thought that counts! U are doing ur part and they are wasting it unfortunately.

But some look genuine
    They're mostly junkies, alcoholics, and some are generally not all there. If they want to stay in a place provided by Dublin City Council, the Simon Community, etc, they just have to ring the homeless number, and a bus can pick them up in the evening, and bring them there. But they can't drink in such places.

A night without drink, though, esp with the good weather we've been having, is not always what they want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

angel01 wrote: »
    :)

I didn't know that, wow.

I was volunteering there at the beginning of the summer in connection with my college, and they're always looking for help.

They would be the irish charity I support and then there are two international animal sanctuaries (yes I'm an animal nut) where I've volunteered that I would support with moola whenever I can as well. They are the Vervet Monkey Foundation in South Africa and Inti Wara Yassi in Bolivia.

WeeBushy wrote: »
    I was volunteering there at the beginning of the summer in connection with my college, and they're always looking for help.

They would be the irish charity I support and then there are two international animal sanctuaries (yes I'm an animal nut) where I've volunteered that I would support with moola whenever I can as well. They are the Vervet Monkey Foundation in South Africa and Inti Wara Yassi in Bolivia.

I was there two years ago and they had loads of volunteers. Howver nooone wanted to do the dirty jobs

the_syco wrote: »
    They're mostly junkies, alcoholics, and some are generally not all there. If they want to stay in a place provided by Dublin City Council, the Simon Community, etc, they just have to ring the homeless number, and a bus can pick them up in the evening, and bring them there. But they can't drink in such places.

A night without drink, though, esp with the good weather we've been having, is not always what they want.

I didnt know that! so they turn to the street and the cold so as they can just drink?

I really didnt know that! But what about during the day, are some of them genuine and do they go to the shelters at night and they are put into that bracket? Its tough

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I didnt know that! so they turn to the street and the cold so as they can just drink?

I really didnt know that! But what about during the day, are some of them genuine and do they go to the shelters at night and they are put into that bracket? Its tough
    During the summer months, with the heat, it's hard to get them to come in. Saying that, during the winter, sometimes the places fill up quickly, and the council and various charities cannot accommodate them all :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

I was there two years ago and they had loads of volunteers. Howver nooone wanted to do the dirty jobs

They weren't much use as a volunteer so! Well when I was there only a month or so ago they needed people and from the impression I get they always are happy for an extra pair of hands; the place has grown an incredible amount from when you were there last. There is always something to be done for someone who is going to work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 MaggieZ

Katarn1 wrote: »
    *hangs head in shame*

I was a chugger for a well known charity, I did the job for around 6 months.

Started off because i did genuinely believe in the work they did, as did roughly half the people on the team. The other half openly said they did it for the 17 euro an hour.

I now feel that on-street fundraising was a ridiculous waste of money. We would try and calculate exactly how long the people who signed up would need to be members in order to even pay our salaries, let alone start contributing to the work of the organisation, it was disheartening. This was rationalised by the organisation by saying that even us being visible in public was a form of advertisment - in my view not a good one.

But OT - the reason I got involved was their work on Lesbian/Gay rights. And for all the faults of the organisation, they did do great work in this area.

How else would you get people to sign up though? I've been giving money for years to a few different charities, and I would have never done that had I not been stopped by by a on-street fundraiser. People do need a push, big time.

Advertisement