Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The vegged up 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread

Options

Comments

Are you trying veggie low carb Jim?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Moonbaby wrote: »
    Are you trying veggie low carb Jim?
    Nah. Well, kinda. I'm on a candida diet atm, so nothing with sugar, sweeteners, carbs or grains (amongst lots of other things!)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Mmm lookin good there!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭maameeo

i want to go to Jims house for dinner some day! :D

i had take away last night, bold!

got thai red curry, extra hot with some tofu pieces and noodles, OM NOM NOM :D

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭Feu

maameeo wrote: »
    i want to go to Jims house for dinner some day! :D

i had take away last night, bold!

got thai red curry, extra hot with some tofu pieces and noodles, OM NOM NOM :D

me too, thai yelloww curry, with the steamed rice. Nom nom nom. I can't get enough thai food.

[but beware the shell food paste that some places use in the red/yellow/green curries!]

• Advertisement

Feu wrote: »
    me too, thai yelloww curry, with the steamed rice. Nom nom nom. I can't get enough thai food.

[but beware the shell food paste that some places use in the red/yellow/green curries!]

:O i didnt know that! how would i know?? you just kinda presume when it says veggie or vegetable red thai curry that its a veg :/
    should never presume :/

Jim wrote: »
    Nah. Well, kinda. I'm on a candida diet atm, so nothing with sugar, sweeteners, carbs or grains (amongst lots of other things!)

Sounds harsh! do you find it helping yet?
    Your food looks nyom.
    I've heard of people using Cauliflower as a rice substitute and a pizza base. With good success.

I had lunch in Yamamori recently.
    They asked me if I wanted the vegetarian miso soup.
    My face did this :eek:
    Been there at least 50 times, never realised the miso might not be veggie before. :(

Your food looks nyom.
    I've heard of people using Cauliflower as a rice substitute and a pizza base. With good success.

Been there at least 50 times, never realised the miso might not be veggie before. :(

oooh nosss :o
    whats miso soup anyway, always see it in health food stores, it nice?

It is a broth, made with fermented soya bean paste and maybe some sea vegetables, spring onion, tofu chunks and other things.
    It is very good for you and it doesn't taste bad.
    Nice would be pushing it a bit though.

It is a broth, made with fermented soya bean paste and maybe some sea vegetables, spring onion, tofu chunks and other things.

hmm, sounds yummy but why would you order something that you wouldnt describe as 'nice' :O

• Advertisement

Your food looks nyom.

Must give that a go. I'm on it just over 2 weeks and I'm not finding it that helpful yet. I had read it was ok for me to eat certain fruits like raspberries, strawberries and apples as well as a sweetener called Xylitol so I was making smoothies with that stuff for the first week, but I think it was counter productive so I've cut that out as well now. Going to give it a few more weeks and see how I feel. Finding it really really ****ing hard to even find stuff to occupy three meals a day atm :/

:O i didnt know that! how would i know?? you just kinda presume when it says veggie or vegetable red thai curry that its a veg :/
    should never presume :/
    you should always ask, some places use it, some don't. And some may use a fish sauce [kind of like soy sauce i think] but they should be able to tell you straight away.
    yeh i've heard unconfirmed reports of this, i'e heard of some places using a bit o chicken or beef stock to make it more tasty :rolleyes:

hmm, sounds yummy but why would you order something that you wouldnt describe as 'nice' :O

i agree, can be fairly tastleless/untasty, but i just remind myself that it's good for me! I got a not bad pumpkin/spring onion flavoured 5 sachet pack in my local health food shop, but they seem to have stopped doing it, might spin into the asian market tomorrow to have a lookyloo.

Must give that a go. I'm on it just over 2 weeks and I'm not finding it that helpful yet. I had read it was ok for me to eat certain fruits like raspberries, strawberries and apples as well as a sweetener called Xylitol so I was making smoothies with that stuff for the first week, but I think it was counter productive so I've cut that out as well now. Going to give it a few more weeks and see how I feel. Finding it really really ****ing hard to even find stuff to occupy three meals a day atm :/

I went off sugar for about 3 months a while back. cherry tomatoes were my saving grace! Good luck with it! How about a lovely fritata [eh if you're not vegan!]

I went off sugar for about 3 months a while back. cherry tomatoes were my saving grace! Good luck with it! How about a lovely fritata [eh if you're not vegan!]

Yea, I'm eating a stupid amount of eggs atm. I basically can't eat anything with sugar, sweetners, carbs, which includes certain veg like potatoes and cooked carrots. No yeast, wheat or grains or any kind (not even buckwheat or quinoa :/). No legumes, no vinegar (so that means no tomato ketchup etc).

For breakfast I usually had a smoothie, but that's gone now. So I'm having fried tofu or egg based meal and some tofu sausages (which I actually can't have cause they have soya sauce in them), then a salad for lunch (which usually includes more eggs) then the different meals I've been trying every day.

I'm getting kinda of sick of it and it basically means I can't eat out anywhere ever, unless there's a plain salad of some variety with no dressing available.

I can't even have ****ing chips for god sake!

The food isn't all good btw. The last batch of pesto I made was awful and the rogan josh last night was a disaster :p

, no vinegar (so that means no tomato ketchup etc).

it's no quality of life...
    The food isn't all good btw. The last batch of pesto I made was awful and the rogan josh last night was a disaster
    you're only trying to make us feel better. We know it's amazing, but you can't have us all around!

Doesnt sound like its doing anything happy for you :(

is it worth doing it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

no vinegar!

Apple cider vinegar apparently can be consumed by Candidates. Other than that it sounds like sheer hell as a diet.

Apple cider vinegar apparently can be consumed by Candidates. Other than that it sounds like sheer hell as a diet.
    Heh, yea, it's actually supposed to be really good for it, but I took it for 2 weeks and it made me feel v ill ARGH :)

Heh, yea, it's actually supposed to be really good for it, but I took it for 2 weeks and it made me feel v ill ARGH :)

sherry vinegar? ;)

for dinner today i had toast with vegan butter, goats cheese and cashew nuts sprinkled on top, just tot id try them on it and my god they were yummy! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

I made Crunchy Chilli Tofu for dinner today - seriously delicious! Tofu slices marinated in vinegar and then covered in a mix of polenta, black pepper and chilli powder, cooked in a little olive oil for a few minutes each side et voilá! OM NOM <3

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Just boring old spaghetti bolognese with Quorn.
    Tasty, though. :D

Hotaru wrote: »
    I made Crunchy Chilli Tofu for dinner today - seriously delicious! Tofu slices marinated in vinegar and then covered in a mix of polenta, black pepper and chilli powder, cooked in a little olive oil for a few minutes each side et voilá! OM NOM <3

Something similar - tofu marinated in Tamari, lemon juice, ginger, garlic and tomato puree marinade, then sandwiched together with a cashew nut/cumin/coriander puree then coated with polenta and fried until hot (all courtesy of Dennis Cotters first cookbook), served with a pineapple chutney, new spuds and carrots from the garden.

sherry vinegar? ;)

Quite nice in an Onion Frittata which I had sometime last week.

henry you're definitely my new food guru!

Shenshen wrote: »
    Just boring old spaghetti bolognese with Quorn.
    Tasty, though. :D

:O how is that boring, wish i could make that :( ive no idea where to start (cant cook!)

henry you're definitely my new food guru!
    Hope I don't ruin it by saying it's a Quorny crispy garlicy fillety thing tonight - too wrecked to do anything else!

ugh i had slat and chili chips, curry sauce and a portion of bamboo shoots and horse chestnuts.

never feel good after chinese :( id love a salad today!

Hope I don't ruin it by saying it's a Quorny crispy garlicy fillety thing tonight - too wrecked to do anything else!

on the contrary, i'm intrigued. Feu's afraid of fake meat, and so admires those who eat it!
    ugh i had slat and chili chips, curry sauce and a portion of bamboo shoots and horse chestnuts.

never feel good after chinese :( id love a salad today!

i've been trying to work out what slat could be?!

• Advertisement

on the contrary, i'm intrigued. Feu's afraid of fake meat, and so admires those who eat it!

i've been trying to work out what slat could be?!

LMAO omg!! i didnt realise, i keep doing that lately with the mixing of letters up :S

its SALT :D

Advertisement