Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I won the lotto !!!!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭anti chris-t

I would buy several sports cars, take a few mates all expenses paid to las vegas then make sure i had enough left to do virtually everything i have ever wanted to do and just generally enjoy and good life and have enough left to ensure i never had to work again. Come to think about it dunno if 10m would be enough for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

yawn

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

I would start a company that rivals my dad's one and drive them out of business by undercutting them everywhere. Not to spite my dad though, but to spite my uncle. I would Spite him good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

This is boring, but I don't care. Pay off debts first. I'd Move to the channel islands, become a resident, open up a bank account there (no DIRT). I'd invest the money, buy some shares in green energy technology, in particular wind power, infrastructure projects, hydrogen fuel cell cars etc... Buy a few houses in South Dublin, and buy a few shares in BOI (these are both cheap as sh*t now, especially in South Dublin with the recession and can't get much lower and BOI have a state guarantee). Live off the interest on the rest of the money (which would be pretty decent anyway) and when the time is right start selling the shares and property and make a killing at the end of the decade. I'd also buy an ipod! Boring as it sounds, but what's good about having a million? Having another million!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭smileysurfer

Buy a hippy van first!! Id pay off my parents mortgage, buy each member of my immeadiate family a car, give thema few million each ( provided i won a good bit), bring everyone i love on a holiday, buy a house and apartment, a camper van or maybe an RV(like a converted bus), set up a few charities, oh and id tell my boss to go f@*$ himself!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,296 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Dexterm99 wrote: »
    Some years ago a few of us in work are discussing what we'd do if we won the lotto. One of the lads (very thick) says that he'd stick his hand into one of the pressing machines. When we asked him why he's do something like that he said "I'd go to the boss and say look my hand is fcuked but I don't need to claim because I've won the lotto!"

Fcuking hell, thats a serious thicko. Bet he was from Offaly

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Anyone know anyone who won the lotto? What did they do with the money how long did it last etc.

Anyone very win the lotto? How much have you left? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

I think to work it out its 42!/36!~=3.8billion possible combinations, so then 3.8billion x €1.50 = €5.7billion you'd have to spend to guarntee winning jackpot

maths is not a strong point for you is it ? ... the number of combinations is 42 choose 6 (Using the combinations NcR thingy on calculator - leaving cert combinations and permutations)

Its been done on Boards a few times ....I think that works out at about €8million to cover all the combinations or maybe its around 8million combinations which would mean about €12million to do all combinations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭the_dark_side

yes, I know several people that won the lotto, here and abroad. The biggest amount was $10,000,000 and that person is still as frugel as ever with the $$... if you can believe that

If I won the lotto, I would buy a large van, and fill it with all weather military sleeping bags and foam, and I would go out after midnight over to the Customs house in Dublin, and in around Connolly Station, and give them out to the homeless... I would also have a mobile soup and sandwich kitchen that would give food out to these people.

I would then start a vegetable allotment scheme in a few different places around the country, and organise a system where people looking for work could come and work on an allotment for a couple of days, while still retaining the dole for the few days they didnt work. This would reduce greatly, Ireland's dependency on importing produce from abroad.. the money saved could then be put towards Crumlin hospital etc. (this would not be an expensive initiative)

I would then move to Tuscany

yes, I know several people that won the lotto, here and abroad. The biggest amount was $10,000,000 and that person is still as frugel as ever with the $$... if you can believe that

If I won the lotto, I would buy a large van, and fill it with all weather military sleeping bags and foam, and I would go out after midnight over to the Customs house in Dublin, and in around Connolly Station, and give them out to the homeless... I would also have a mobile soup and sandwich kitchen that would give food out to these people.

I would then start a vegetable allotment scheme in a few different places around the country, and organise a system where people looking for work could come and work on an allotment for a couple of days, while still retaining the dole for the few days they didnt work. This would reduce greatly, Ireland's dependency on importing produce from abroad.. the money saved could then be put towards Crumlin hospital etc. (this would not be an expensive initiative)

I would then move to Tuscany

Hope you win, but will you be able to afford to move to Tuscany?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭the_dark_side

Elmo wrote: »
    Hope you win, but will you be able to afford to move to Tuscany?

I wouldnt be looking for a mansion, something average would do fine... its the lifestyle there that Id be after :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

After that I'd probably also buy borads.ie from whoever already bought it and do whatever it took to make it the most popular chat site in Ireland.

Isn't it already the most popular chat site in Ireland?

I'd move to Japan. I'm planning on doing that annyway but €10m would help out. Alot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭KeyLimePie

If I won the lotto, i'd buy all the empty stores on the main street where I live and put my face in the window.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

nsx r yes Spain ? :confused:are the roads any good there ?

The coastal roads in the north east are perfect for road trips.

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭pablodunlop

I would purchase many leatherbound books and an apartment that smells of rich mahogany.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I would save Cork City F.C. and build them a new ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

I would buy a Supermarine Spitfire and fly it as often as I could. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Flying Abruptly

I think to work it out its 42!/36!~=3.8billion possible combinations, so then 3.8billion x €1.50 = €5.7billion you'd have to spend to guarntee winning jackpot

It should be 42!/(36!x6!) ~=5.3million combinations x €1.5 = €7.8million.
    PCPhoto wrote: »
    maths is not a strong point for you is it ? ... the number of combinations is 42 choose 6 (Using the combinations NcR thingy on calculator - leaving cert combinations and permutations)

Its been done on Boards a few times ....I think that works out at about €8million to cover all the combinations or maybe its around 8million combinations which would mean about €12million to do all combinations.

Maths yes, statistics no. I tried doing it from memory from way back from the leaving cert because I haven't used those kind of stats since then...i made a little mistake in my formula, i knew the answer was supposed to be big, but i didnt know how big. And i'd prefer to be able to do it from scratch rather than depending my calculator

I thought there are 49 number in the lotto now?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

1 Billion flogs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

BVB wrote: »
    But if you really won the lotto ( just say €10,000,000 ) whats the first thing you would buy and where would you move to?

I'd just give it straight to brian lenihan to save myself some time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

First thing I would buy - a large Tesco sushi box for the lady (A "you had to be there" type gift...) Then of course treat her like a princess
    For myself, prolly a nice long holiday (haven't been on a proper one in around 10 years!) followed by a ****load of gadgets (maybe build a new pc to replace this overheating POS laptop)

I wouldn't move anywhere in the immediate future tbh, I only moved a few weeks ago and absolutely adore my new flat... I would just take a few months to find my dream property to purchase

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭karlog

BVB wrote: »
    I wish .

But if you really won the lotto ( just say €10,000,000 ) whats the first thing you would buy and where would you move to?

I wouldn't be here bragging about it to all you poor folk now that im rich:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

deleted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Seaneh wrote: »
    The coastal roads in the north east are perfect for road trips.

nsxR has 2 seats and like to be driven like this :)

Richard Hammond drove it and slated it to be honest i can see why he could'nt parallel park a Nissan micra he a muppet and his driving skills show who cares about going side ways ? thats all show for a camera!
    :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,258 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Same as about most people:

A good sized house in vic Atherton.

A relatively expensive car.

A good, single-engined airplane. Something a little higher than a 182, but not to the level of a twin. That said, I did notice some ex Irish Air Corps (Still in Irish colours) SF260s on sale in Los Angeles area on Trade-a-plane for about $160,000 apiece. Hmm...Get both?

A crapload of stock. (They're a little undervalued right now, I think).

Multiple rifles, reloading equipment, and a shotgun.

Some land in the country, in case of zombie invasion. See also multiple rifles, reloading equipment and shotgun.

Drop a quarter mil to the Littlefield Foundation

See what I can do about investing the rest.

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Noffles

Within the hour of collecting the win I'd be leaving Ireland for good never to return... I doubt the rest would interest you.

snyper wrote: »
    Misleading thread title is misleading.

i seem to remember this from somewhere snyper ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭username4321

I'd go on a mad spending buzz, clothes,cars,holidays for about a month.
    Make sure my family were sorted.
    Then move to somewhere hot and lovely..maybe rural Ibiza or something.
    Take time to work on everything I've been too poor/busy to do or have, i.e buy a horse, look after and ride it on my land :), morning swims, personal chef,personal trainer,daytime sex, cocktail parties on the veranda with all my mates..

hang on is that pushing the boat out a bit?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Fooz

I have it all planned.

A decent amount to each of my close family and after that:

A nice country pile in Ireland with horses, games room, swimming pool, gym, all that.

A Landrover, a BMW M3 and a Lambo Gallardo (one for roughing it on the pile, one for everyday use and one for fun).

Apartments in Shanghai, New York and Paris

A house in Queenstown, New Zealand.

A small airplane.

Advertisement