Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mazda 3 Vs Skoda Octavia

Options
  • 27-07-2009 8:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭

Hi all thought I'd sound out the petrol heads here for a little advice.
    I'm looking to move up from the super mini size to a small family size car.
    I have a budget of around $10k. I need a hatchback (saloons don't have a big enough boot to carry the junk my missus wants to haul around from time to time), ideally not bigger then 1.6 but not a complete deal breaker, with some nice toys installed (air con, i pod compatible radio, etc).
    After doing a little sniffing around I've found two that might fit the bill.
    2005 Mazda 3 1.6 touring
    and a 2005 Skoda Octavia Elegance 1.6.

Am I looking in the right area or have I missed some gems?
    Looking forward to reading your suggestions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Why not a diesel Octavia?

This one? >> 2005 Octavia
    Or this.>> 2006 Octavia 2.0 Diesel Auto. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Mrs got an 05 Astra diesel 1.5 year ago and very sorry didnt buy the Skoda Octy diesel.

Her parents have a 1.4 06 Octy and I love driving it. Its a comfortable place to be but its slow and the 1.4 has to be worked hard to carry its weight, therefore the 1.6 would be a better option.

I am also a fan of the Mazda 3 - the touring model is the top end and the best. I like how it drives and again is a nice place to be on a drive.

If I had to choose it would be the Skoda Octy. So much bang for your buck.
    The boot is huge and shows up alot of family size . Plus its a hatchback so when you fold out the seats its space is massive.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭witless_steve

vectra wrote: »
    Why not a diesel Octavia?

This one? >> 2005 Octavia
    Or this.>> 2006 Octavia 2.0 Diesel Auto. :cool:

Thanks for the links vectra.
    I haven't driven a diesel before so hadn't thought of adding them to the list.
    Will certainly keep it in mind. If I do go for a diesel do I need a much larger engine then if it was petrol?
    I've heard that diesel engines are less thirsty then petrol ones so bigger engine doesn't mean bigger fuel bills. Is that true?

Thanks for the links vectra.
    I haven't driven a diesel before so hadn't thought of adding them to the list.
    Will certainly keep it in mind. If I do go for a diesel do I need a much larger engine then if it was petrol?
    I've heard that diesel engines are less thirsty then petrol ones so bigger engine doesn't mean bigger fuel bills. Is that true?

Dont worry about driving a diesel.
    Beautiful to drive.
    Tax will be dearer on those as they are 1.9 and 2.0 ltre.
    BUT
    Both should return 50MPG average.. Up to 60 on a run so big savings there for you.
    Plus the HUGE boot for your wife to go shopping. :D

Test drive one.
    You will fall in love with it.
    I myself drive a 1.4 Tdi ( supermini ) SEAT Cordoba.
    HUGE boot again but you want to come up a size in car?
    I did see one like mine on carzone recently for just under €11k, it was a 2008 TDi sport (identical to mine )
    Great little car and being 2008 is only €104 per year tax.
    Plenty of power if you are not a "Racey Type"
    Even if you do like to drive on a bit.. This wont dissapoint you. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Why compare the Skoda Octavia and the Mazda 3? They are not in the same class (in terms of size). The Mazda 6 would be a fairer comparision no? If you not doing a lot of mileage, and not buying a 2008 or newer car that will fall under the new tax rates. Then a diesel might not be worth the extra expense. You'll probably by a newer lower mileage petrol model. You lose more in depreciation than anything else, so fixate on that as well. That said between the Mazda 3 and Octavia I'd go with the Octavia, either diesel or the 1.6 petrol which has decent poke. Another option is a Ford C-Max, I've seen some very nice ones of those around for 10~11K huge boot, and more roomy than the Octavia. The Ford diesel 1.6 is a nice engine. A 1.6 VW Touran also starts around 10~11k too. Again more space than an Octavia.

• Advertisement

BostonB wrote: »
    Why compare the Skoda Octavia and the Mazda 3? They are not in the same class (in terms of size). The Mazda 6 would be a fairer comparision no?

If you not doing a lot of mileage, and not buying a new car that will fall under the new tax rates. Then a diesel might not be worth the extra expense. You'll probably by a newer lower mileage petrol model. You lose more in depreciation than anything else, so fixate on that not the tax.

I drove a Skoda Fabia while abroad and quite liked it but found it a little small. I was told that the Octavia was the equivalent of the mazda3.
    I'm hoping to get a 3-4 year old car in good nick, with some nice toys, a little bit of pull so you can overtake safely on bypasses for about 10k.
    I'm looking for anything about the same size as a Focus or Mazda 3, all brands considered. I figured that I'd find out if I'd missed some gems and I seem to have forgotten about diesel on my travels but will look into them.

Will have a look at the Mazda 6 online see what it's like.

Why compare the Skoda Octavia and the Mazda 3? They are not in the same class (in terms of size). The Mazda 6 would be a fairer comparision no? .

Mazda 6 is in the Mondeo range isnt it?

Octavia based on the Golf??
    Golf would be in the Mazda 3 range ??
    Yes??
    no??

I would much prefer an Octavia than an ugly C max :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

I think comparing the Mazda 3 & the Octavia is fair.

Despite its long chassis, the octavia is just a Golf
    and the Golf would be a competitor car for the Mazda 3 as well.

I would see the octavia/ mazda 3 /golf / Focus / Auris as all being peers in the mid-family car range.

The Mazda 6 however is meant to be their top of the line so I guess its peer group would be the Mondeo / Passat / Superb /Avensis lines.

Anyway, of the 2 I would also go for the octavia.
    I think the 1.6 mpi came in 2 bhp's?, a 78bhp and a 102 bhp unit?
    I dont know if the smaller one was still in production on the mark 2 octavia.

vectra wrote: »
    ...I would much prefer an Octavia than an ugly C max :o

When an Octavia become a style icon? Pretty bland itself. The C-Max is probably a better drive. None are a Lotus though. You could cram the family into a 2 door couple if image is all important to you. Form over function. But it gets old real fast. Even some saloons can be tight due to the short wheel base. Older A4 is very poor compared to many for example.

I'd look beyond what the specs say about the size and go sit in these and look at the boot. A lot of a saloons, be they Ocatvia, Mondeo whatever are actually not that wide, due to the curving sides, and interior layout. A squarer shape is a lot more room. Which becomes an issue stuffing buggies, shopping, bulky car seats, rain gear and the grandmother all in at the same time. A mini MPV has often more space, and is shorter than a saloon.

When an Octavia become a style icon? Pretty bland itself. The C-Max is probably a better drive. None are a Lotus though. You could cram the family into a 2 door couple if image is all important to you. Form over function. But it gets old real fast. Even some saloons can be tight due to the short wheel base. Older A4 is very poor compared to many for example.

I'd look beyond what the specs say about the size and go sit in these and look at the boot. A lot of a saloons, be they Ocatvia, Mondeo whatever are actually not that wide, due to the curving sides, and interior layout. A squarer shape is a lot more room. Which becomes an issue stuffing buggies, shopping, bulky car seats, rain gear and the grandmother all in at the same time. A mini MPV has often more space, and is shorter than a saloon.

I didnt mean it that way regarding "style icons"
    I would prefer to drive a Car than a People carrier.
    I assume OP would as well with regards to the car styles he/she suggested.

As for boot space
    Dont be put off by the shape
    Octavia11
    Most noticeable is the rear of the cabin where some clever use of the science of ergonomics has created truly generous legroom while an already cavernous luggage bay has grown in size, a further 32 litres providing 560 litres of useable room with all seats occupied.

C-Max
    510-litres

• Advertisement

Have you sat in both? Used both? The boot on the Otavia is huge but is a deep boot. You'll be taking things out to get to stuff at the back. The C-Max is more accessable. Anyway its just an alternative, and might be closer to the price point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

The Mazda 3 is the competitor for the Octavia, they're in the same class. The Mazda has better engines and a much better chassis. It's a more rewarding drive than the Octavia. The Octavia has a bit more room but the 1.6 petrol is poor, the 1.9 diesel is almost as poor.
    I'd go with a Mazda 3 1.6 diesel if you can find one. That engine is a long way ahead of the 1.9 in the Octavia.

If I do get a mazda is it hard to upgrade it?
    A silly sounding question but one that just came to mind.
    Sometimes the basic radio is a bit naff and you want to change it or add air con as an after market add on.
    Are those things really hard with a mazda?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

A touring spec mazda 3 will have air con as standard. With the radio, you can probably buy a fascia adapter so you can fit any DIN or double DIN radio you want to the dash as they come with a built in one

If I do get a mazda is it hard to upgrade it?
    A silly sounding question but one that just came to mind.
    Sometimes the basic radio is a bit naff and you want to change it or add air con as an after market add on.
    Are those things really hard with a mazda?

Regardless of Make, no one in their right mind would add AC to a car that doesn't have it. Cheaper to buy a car with it instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Biro wrote: »
    I'd go with a Mazda 3 1.6 diesel if you can find one. That engine is a long way ahead of the 1.9 in the Octavia.

Other than noise at idle, in what ways is the 1.6d in the mazda so much better, might i ask?

Is the aircon worth the extra money or is it just like having a sunroof?
    Useful when it gets hot but not that useful.

Is the aircon worth the extra money or is it just like having a sunroof?
    Useful when it gets hot but not that useful.

No vastly more useful. AC is very useful on wet steamy days, in the winter, its takes the mositure out of the air, thus keeps your windows perfectly clear without wiping, or opening windows in the rain. Downside its it uses more fuel.

Does AC pull much power out of the engine?
    Just wondering because it seems I can get touring in 1.4 or 1.6.
    I imagine AC might drain more fuel but would it really slow down performance?

Any car I've had you've noticed a slight extra load.

• Advertisement

Slight as in when you're bringing home the weekly shopping kind of extra pull?

I don't want to sound like I'm being pedantic about it but I'd really like aircon.
    My current car doesn't have aircon and it mists up in no time when the weather is damp. If the AC didn't have a massive pull on the engine then I could take a touring in any engine. If the AC pulls hard I'd need to look for a 1.6.

I've confined my window shopping as it were to online lists like carzone and cbg.ie. If I don't have to be as picky on the engine I make it easier to get the kind of car I'd really like.

By the by I've heard tales of there being a shortage of second hand cars being traded in. I take it this only applies to shiny new 5 year old or less vehicles not worn out 10 year old warhorses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭2 Espressi

After having AC in Rocky, I'd never get a car without it ever again. As mentioed above, it dries the air going through it, so you get no steam or condensation, essential in this climate.
    The load isn't so bad, you'll only notice that the engine idles a bit higher.

Of the two cars posted, I'd go for the Skoda, but the 1.9 tdi. Roughtly the same power as the 1.6 (105 vs 102 Bhp for the petrol) but much more torque.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Get the 1.6 in the 3 - the 1.4 is weak. There wont be a huge difference when using the air con. You might get a few miles to the gallon less but then again the drag from having a window open wont be far behind it...

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭BJC

Have you considered a Mazda6 Touring instead. Not a hatch obviously but there is a butt load of space in the boot and the mpg is quite good in the 1.8 afaik. AirCon, Traction control and some other fiddly bits are standard.

Slight as in when you're bringing home the weekly shopping kind of extra pull?....

Man how much shopping do you get?

Would be different in different cars with different engines. I've never noticed it being very significant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Zonda999 wrote: »
    Other than noise at idle, in what ways is the 1.6d in the mazda so much better, might i ask?

Infinitely more refined, much more evenly spread power delivery, cheaper tax, more power (in the higher powered one, the saloon only had that, the hatch had an option), at least as good fuel economy.

Air con is an excellent addition, and isn't something you can add on later, as it's cost prohibitive. Can be around 5 grand to add it, depending on model.
    The standard radio in the 3 is fairly decent, a better installation than most standard radios. It's integrated into the dash, so upgrading probably isn't an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Infinitely more refined, much more evenly spread power delivery, cheaper tax, more power (in the higher powered one, the saloon only had that, the hatch had an option), at least as good fuel economy.

The OP better make sure any prospective 3 is the 109bhp version in that case!:)
    Fair enough on the road tax on a few year old example but not anymore! As for the power delivery, i rather like that whole "lump of power" feeling you get in the 1.9!:)

The Mazda 3 is the competitor for the Octavia, they're in the same class. The Mazda has better engines and a much better chassis. It's a more rewarding drive than the Octavia. The Octavia has a bit more room but the 1.6 petrol is poor, the 1.9 diesel is almost as poor.

What?? :confused:

Mazda 1.6 diesel is better than the VW 1.9 ??
    In what respect??

I didn't know mazda made a 1.6 diesel. I've only seen petrol mazda 3's. Are the saloons the only diesels or are there hatch backs too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,427 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

the 1.6 diesel in the Mazda is the same unit as the TDCI in a Focus, the 1.6D in the S40, the 1.6 HDI in the 308 or C4, the diesel engine in the MINI, and countless others who have used this engine

It is far more refined than the VAG 1.9 TDI

I think Noah had a derivative of the 1.9 TDI fitted to the ark.

Advertisement