Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using mobiles, do you answer with a hello? even though you know who it is?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

"Hello?" even if I know the number.

If it's a private number they get a "What?!?", and when they don't talk(which usually happens) they get this shouted at them in a loud and angry tone "What the fook d'ya want ya sp**stic?!?"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

"Bonjour", "Speak" or "Engine Room"...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

I'll say alright or hello or some such.

Oh wow, 2000th post. Nice :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭allabouteve

I used to answer with 'What??', very abruptly. I hate mobiles and always will. I don't know why anyone ever thought I'd want to be contactable 24/7, especially for work.

I ditched it a good while ago now, and I've never felt freer. Anyone I want to talk to, I'll call. If they want to talk to me, call my landline and talk to me when I choose to pick up. If I don't pick up, and its serious, leave me a message.

I don't do small talk very well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭conchubhar1

since when is hello only for people you don't know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,730 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Depends...

Since I moved to "de country", hello has gradually been replaced with "welll" for people I know

"Hello?" if a private number or work-related call

"yello?" (yes and hello in a drawn-out mix :)) or "wellll" if some of the girls from the office

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 lklklk89

say, for instance the person's name is mickey!

YES MICKEY!, if it comes up on caller id.

If no number is given, I usually use

WELL HORSE?! WHO'S THIS?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Red_Marauder

The starngest thing, I think, is when people answer with the telephone number you've just dialled. My old boss (it was a vet clinic) used to pick up the phone saying "46352 xxxxxxx veterinary Clinic, hello". They just dialled that number - they know what it is!

does anybody still have a telephone voice? my aunt answers the telephone in a distictly english "hello" (she's from tipp) and then proceeds to explode into the local dialect with josephine or john thomas from up the road. Banks, the Guards or anybody official at all, are spoken to in an utterly different and unrecognisable voice!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,802 ✭✭✭✭Basq

The starngest thing, I think, is when people answer with the telephone number you've just dialled. My old boss (it was a vet clinic) used to pick up the phone saying "46352 xxxxxxx veterinary Clinic, hello". They just dialled that number - they know what it is!
    I used to do that when I was a young un..! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

"The sandwich is in the toaster, blue smurfs on the fall. Re-up in two hours.". Then I hang up.

You ain't seen me, right?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Even if I know who it is, I still usually answer with just ''Hello?'' nice and formal...

Thanks to the influence of John 'Johnny Sack' Sacrimoni from 'The Sopranos', I went through a patch of answering my calls with a curt and abrupt ''Speak.''

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭donmeister

I answer with a 'good afternoon madame' in a George Akiducitiwengo styling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Pygmalion wrote: »
    If it's from a friend it's usually "Hey 'sup?" or something like that.

Me too.

Well only when famous rappers be callin' me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

i rarely answer with hello. if i know who it is i just say their name in a really boring voice

• Registered Users Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭donkey balls

if its someone i know i say whats the story some mates get what do you want fat head work related normal hello.

all though while in america recently the house i was staying in with a few lads i answered the phone with a typical english hugh grant accent hello byrnes funeral parlour you kill em we grill him.

our schedular hung up also tried the micky mouse club yanks no sense of humour

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

I say 'Yelloo!' in a kinda high voice. Dunno why?? :/
    makes me sound more friendly, I guess :P
    altho, if im fairly pissed off at the time of the call i just answer and say 'eh ya'..
    Makes me sound like a proper bitch so Im trying to stop doing that.

Advertisement