Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Average Irish GP wage

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

Traumadoc wrote: »
    I would be very concerned that the tax authority released income figures regarding one particular profession.

I wonder would they do the same for barristers or solicitors or politicians?

Where does it say anything about the Revenue?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Rucking_Fetard

Whats the big secret with doctor wages?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Traumadoc wrote: »
    I would be very concerned that the tax authority released income figures regarding one particular profession.

I wonder would they do the same for barristers or solicitors or politicians?
    Where does it say anything about the Revenue?
    Whats the big secret with doctor wages?

No secrets and the revenue release statistical data from all professions to the OECD now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,615 ✭✭✭maninasia

If it's not a secret why so many PMs flying around?

That's a very average income for ~10 years training.

You could train in any number of industries for 10 years and be better off than that.

It's not an average income by any means, it's in the top few % of earners, especially for people new on the job. They don't just hand out 120,000 euro/year to any joe soap. You'd need to perform and have a very good track record, it would never be a starter salary. You'd probably be managing a team of people and have significant responsibility in the company. Maybe some legal people earn that but even then you you'd have to perform or be connected.

People train in most jobs most of the time now, lots of people have 5-6 years in third level with further training along the way. GPs in Ireland have it pretty easy, not even working on Sundays, saturday afternoons or evenings like other countries! Nurses and secretaries subsidized by the state, medical card income guaranteed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

maninasia wrote: »
    It's not an average income by any means, it's in the top few % of earners, especially for people new on the job. They don't just hand out 120,000 euro/year to any joe soap. You'd need to perform and have a very good track record, it would never be a starter salary. You'd probably be managing a team of people and have significant responsibility in the company. Maybe some legal people earn that but even then you you'd have to perform or be connected.

People train in most jobs most of the time now, lots of people have 5-6 years in third level with further training along the way. GPs in Ireland have it pretty easy, not even working on Sundays, saturday afternoons or evenings like other countries! Nurses and secretaries subsidized by the state, medical card income guaranteed.

They'd need it and more for putting up with people

Most people work in services these days.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

GPs in Ireland have it pretty easy, not even working on Sundays

What have I done wrong then! About to head into work as a GP in an hour along with the 30 other gps working in an on call centre where I am based .....

Terrible the way facts ruin a good rant ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

30 GPs on call at once?
    Last time I had to go to the out of hours GP there was 3 of them on duty and one got called to an emergency house call

ryanf1 wrote: »
    30 GPs on call at once?
    Last time I had to go to the out of hours GP there was 3 of them on duty and one got called to an emergency house call

Different centres and out of hours systems depending on the area.
    Point was made to refute comment that GPs don't work Sundays ! 30 + out of 260 locally will be working at least some of today.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

GPs in Ireland have it pretty easy, not even working on Sundays, saturday afternoons or evenings like other countries! Nurses and secretaries subsidized by the state, medical card income guaranteed.

You don't have much of an understanding of this at all, do you?

Where do I not havethe understanding? Working in an out of hours means Sunday is 'out of hours' means it's not a standard part of the work week. As for the rest of the statement what about it?

RobFowl wrote: »
    Different centres and out of hours systems depending on the area.
    Point was made to refute comment that GPs don't work Sundays ! 30 + out of 260 locally will be working at least some of today.

Do GPs have to do so many on call hours per week/month? I know some Doctors that do extra to boost their income but is there an amount you are required to do as part of your contracts?

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭SleepDoc

Where do I not havethe understanding? Working in an out of hours means Sunday is 'out of hours' means it's not a standard part of the work week. As for the rest of the statement what about it?

Gp's do work weekends, just like the rest of the health service.

Care to explain?

Care to explain?

Of course.

At weekends and at night, outside normal working hours, general practitioners, like their colleagues in the hospitals, provide out of hours cover for the sick and the worried.

How much? When? How about Saturdays and evenings? Voluntary or involuntary? Majority or minority?

Etc...etc...

It's not really a standard part of the working week i.e. GPs have it a lot easier than many shift workers in the health service.

Let's have more details.

GP's in the GMS have a 24/7 contracts 365 days a year.
    They either have to be available of have cover arranged at all times.
    Some single handed GP's do it all themselves (esp in remote areas).
    Some work a rota system and most these days are part of a co-op style system where they have to contribute to the cover (amount of cover varies depending on where you work and what system you are part of).

How much? When? How about Saturdays and evenings? Voluntary or involuntary? Majority or minority?

Etc...etc...

It's not really a standard part of the working week i.e. GPs have it a lot easier than many shift workers in the health service.

Let's have more details.

Why don't you provide some details since you're casting aspersions on the working hours of general practitioners?

Etc...etc...

Let's have more details.

There is not "standard" working week for GP's.
    Evenings and Sat/Sun's are compulsory for GP's and FWIW my average working week is 56 hours (GP's not covered by EWTD).
    They do not have it "easier" than any shift workers in EMTD compliant posts although as in all professions some have better conditions than others.

• Advertisement

SleepDoc wrote: »
    Why don't you provide some details since you're casting aspersions on the working hours of general practitioners?

You are casting aspersions on my queries, I'm trying to get some details but I haven't really received any numbers that can pin anything down. I appreciate RF's contribution of course but saying evenings/weekends are compulsory or GPs work 24/7 is not very clear to me. If they were so commonly worked then it would surely be easy to go to see a GP in the evening or on weekends would it not?

Where I'm based GPs work Mon-Sat Morning/Afternoon/Evening shifts (evenings and Saturdays are busiest periods) and the odd one opens Sun. It's a lot more convenient for the customers.

I remember years ago before there were the on call centres that exist now, you would call your GPs surgery on a weekend and you would be told whatever time to come there at and a Doctor would see you.
    As RF said, its a co-operative system where the workload is shared between every Doctor in the area. And time I've used it myself I never got my regular GP or any GP from the surgery I attend which when your sick doesn't matter a whole lot I suppose but it is a little annoying to have to go through all your medical history which for me is a good bit of stuff.

You are casting aspersions on my queries, I'm trying to get some details but I haven't really received any numbers that can pin anything down. I appreciate RF's contribution of course but saying evenings/weekends are compulsory or GPs work 24/7 is not very clear to me. If they were so commonly worked then it would surely be easy to go to see a GP in the evening or on weekends would it not?

Where I'm based GPs work Mon-Sat Morning/Afternoon/Evening shifts (evenings and Saturdays are busiest periods) and the odd one opens Sun. It's a lot more convenient for the customers.

So you have no actual figures or data to support your claims?

Yep, your queries fail the moron test

I remember years ago before there were the on call centres that exist now, you would call your GPs surgery on a weekend and you would be told whatever time to come there at and a Doctor would see you.
    As RF said, its a co-operative system where the workload is shared between every Doctor in the area. And time I've used it myself I never got my regular GP or any GP from the surgery I attend which when your sick doesn't matter a whole lot I suppose but it is a little annoying to have to go through all your medical history which for me is a good bit of stuff.

The system where one GP is on all the time simply doesn't work any more due to the increasing workload.
    Also doctors like all people are now striving to get some sort of work life balance, trust me you can't have that and a working week in excess of 100 hours .

Ps maninasia seems to feel the Irish contract is a handy number, I wonder how he/she can reconcile that with the droves of Irish GPs emigrating, practices closing and vacant GMS lists the HSE can't fill...

The system where one GP is on all the time simply doesn't work any more due to the increasing workload.
    Also doctors like all people are now striving to get some sort of work life balance, trust me you can't have that and a working week in excess of 100 hours .

It was more like if there was say 5 patients needing treatment on the day, one doctor might open the surgery for an hour or whatever, wouldn't have been open all day long. But yes, the current system does work better for both Doctors and Patients.
    Down here its triaged so you don't exactly get a place in the queue as such. Last time I was there, 2 other patients came in that the Nurse judged to be sicker than me so I was left waiting even though they came in well after me they just went straight in to the Doctor

It was more like if there was say 5 patients needing treatment on the day, one doctor might open the surgery for an hour or whatever, wouldn't have been open all day long. But yes, the current system does work better for both Doctors and Patients.
    Down here its triaged so you don't exactly get a place in the queue as such. Last time I was there, 2 other patients came in that the Nurse judged to be sicker than me so I was left waiting even though they came in well after me they just went straight in to the Doctor

Fair comment.
    The issue with that system was the GP was on call for the 24 hours (at least, have done 96hr stints) and as long as the number of patients covers and the demand wasn't to heavy was manageable.
    Over the last number of years people have developed higher expectations (once got a call at 0200 asking for a house call to deliver a ventolin inhaler as they had left it in the baby's bedroom and didnt want to go in in case they woke her up).
    As a result doctors on were getting a volume of calls they simply couldn't safely cope with.
    The co-op system works well enough but tbh is a risk to to Government cuts.
    I genuinely fear for the future of Irish GP's esp as the attitudes and opinions maninasia voices seem commonly held in the government...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

I genuinely fear for the future of Irish GP's esp as the attitudes and opinions maninasia voices seem commonly held in the government...
    I have some hope with Varadkar at the helm, him being GP trained. Then again so was Reilly and I said the same thing about him once.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

... (once got a call at 0200 asking for a house call to deliver a ventolin inhaler as they had left it in the baby's bedroom and didnt want to go in in case they woke her up)...

What did you say to that one?

What did you say to that one?

The fact that the call woke up my own baby at the time kinda of answered it for them......

• Advertisement

Fair comment.
    The issue with that system was the GP was on call for the 24 hours (at least, have done 96hr stints) and as long as the number of patients covers and the demand wasn't to heavy was manageable.
    Over the last number of years people have developed higher expectations (once got a call at 0200 asking for a house call to deliver a ventolin inhaler as they had left it in the baby's bedroom and didnt want to go in in case they woke her up).
    As a result doctors on were getting a volume of calls they simply couldn't safely cope with.
    The co-op system works well enough but tbh is a risk to to Government cuts.

Ooooh Maninsia is so controversial.

If you actually went into the details of what I mentioned you might find it would offer a perfectly reasonable work/life balance AND offer an improved service to the paying customers.

Advertisement