Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what are eircon playing at?

Options
  • 26-07-2009 12:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭

i have just tried to access the RTE Player and get the following page displayed!
    attachment.php?attachmentid=86073&d=1248608892so Carlow is no longer in ireland???

RTE go on to say i should cantact eircom but i am dreading that call as they will most likely just blame RTE.

http://www.rte.ie/player/geoaccess.html

i have used the player before but it seems now that eircoms ip addresses are located outside ireland??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

God help you. When the blame lies between 2 companies, you end up with "anti-tug-o'-war". They'll keep pushing the problem to the other side to the bitter end. UTV are excellent at doing this in particular, from the reports I've seen here.

Go to http://www.irishisptest.com/whatsmyip.php and look at the info below the IP address result. It will give the name of your ISP and usually what country it is based in. Post what the company name and location is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

just off the phone to an eircom customer services and they are aware of the issue but technicians are not giving any timeframe for when it will be resolved. i wonder would contacting RTE do any good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

It works for me

I clicked the link in T.B.C's post and it says my IP is in Ireland, not sure about your IP though, obviously.

Seems we're all having problems with the internet lately.

Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭babaloushka

foggy_lad wrote: »
    i have just tried to access the RTE Player and get the following page displayed!
    attachment.php?attachmentid=86073&d=1248608892so Carlow is no longer in ireland???

RTE go on to say i should cantact eircom but i am dreading that call as they will most likely just blame RTE.

i have used the player before but it seems now that eircoms ip addresses are located outside ireland??

Can you now use the BBC iPlayer instead? Fair exchange, no robbery :)

Hmmm. You'd need to give the info on the irishisptest page (all of it, including your IP address) to someone in RTE. And then also add that eircom are aware of the problem and are working on it.

As most of the RTE iplayer customers are using eircom broadband, they may take notice, and step in with eircom to ensure a speedy resolution. But that's not likely any day I'm afraid, let alone a sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

No problem with RTE Player here on Eircom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    No problem with RTE Player here on Eircom.

Me either :confused:

Foggy_lad, do a restart on the router. That might do the trick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

You could try connecting through an Irish Proxy too.

They don't seem to be working. The uptime percentages don't inspire too much confidence! There's probably a thread around boards with working Irish proxies (e.g. uni proxies that just need a lend of a student username and password.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭dazdrog

im also on eircom in the drogheda area and cant get onto it

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Enright

In Limerick - Same problem

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

as To_be_confirmed says, log into your router and reboot it or disconnect from the net for 1-2 minutes and then reconnect and you should get a new IP.

make a note of it and try again.

you might need to do it more than once until you get one that RTE thinks is in Ireland though.

if you don't want to log into your router to disconnect, pulling the power for 1-2 minutes will do the same thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Epeen

Enright wrote: »
    In Limerick - Same problem

Do you have generally **** internets too?

Also; as good as it is rebooting your router to get a new IP, why are we overlooking the issue that people in ireland arent getting Irish IPs? Considering the reason RTE put content online was to be able to charge people without a TV but with a computer a TV licence, this is fairly ridiculous is it not?

The irish are too easy going and we're being **** on by all the companies. Its about time we start making complaints left right and center to start getting services we deserve. TV licence? **** you.

RTE are not blocking Irish addresses.
    Anybody here who is trying to connect using the link given by Foggy lad will not be able to gain access.

Who said RTE were blocking irish addresses? RTE cant block irish addresses; else theyd not get their TV licence fee

What link did Foggy lad give? :confused:

The problem was Irish ISPs not giving IPs that allow connection to irish only sites/links (like rte's player)

Epeen wrote: »
    What link did Foggy lad give? :confused:

I missread about blocking addresses.

How can Eircom NOT give Irish addresses?

How can Eircom NOT give Irish addresses?

Thats what i dont understand

else theyd not get their TV licence fee

(like rte's player)

Don't get that:confused:

Thats what i dont understand

So do you actually know that people in Ireland are not getting Irish addresses?

• Advertisement

No im just wondering how someone in ireland with an Irish ISP has no access to RTEs online player.

And Fuzzy; apparently you can be caught for a TV licence fee if you have no TV in the house; but own a computer. Because you can access RTE services from it.

why are we overlooking the issue that people in ireland arent getting Irish IPs? Considering the reason RTE put content online was to be able to charge people without a TV but with a computer a TV licence, this is fairly ridiculous is it not?
    But you're not "wondering". You're "stating" that people in Ireland are not getting Irish IPs.

The only ridiculous thing is the second part of your statement. RTE do not decide if they are due licence fees for on line content. That decision is made by the Government.

Bare in mind, only one person here has complained here about not being able to view on line. As far as I (and you) know the other 2 people who stated they have probs, may have been trying the link given by Foggy lad (the link you didn't see).

But you're not "wondering". You're "stating" that people in Ireland are not getting Irish IPs.

The only ridiculous thing is the second part of your statement. RTE do not decide if they are due licence fees for on line content. That decision is made by the Government.

My statement is based on this topic; which i am posting in. If you want to differentiate between wonderings and statements, stick to the topic and reply to the first post which is what i did. If he is wrong; he is wrong, if he is right, he doesnt have an Irish IP. Since noone has proved him wrong, either RTE has something wrong or Eircom do. Which one did i pick?
    RTE do not decide if they are due licence fees for on line content. That decision is made by the Government.

You might want to read up on that because its not ridiculous its true. Ask your local council or post office if you have to pay a tv licence if you dont own a TV but you own a computer.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,111 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

You might want to read up on that because its not ridiculous its true. Ask your local council or post office if you have to pay a tv licence if you dont own a TV but you own a computer.

You're wrong.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=60200150&postcount=135

Spear wrote: »

But arent RTE edging towards "standard television broadcasting services" online to achieve that

I had an argument with an enforcer in Shannon (nearly 2 years ago now) that i had to have a TV licence for my computer even though i had no television.

If im wrong its no skin off my back, id just like to be sure so im not getting raped for many moneys (which they've come a long way towards being able to legally doing it since i was last questioned about it)

Epeen, I'm not going to waste any more time on this. You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. Save face and drop it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

The irish are too easy going and we're being **** on by all the companies. Its about time we start making complaints left right and center to start getting services we deserve. TV licence? **** you.
    its a minor technical issue that could be caused by anything and will most likely (now that it's been reported) be resolved pretty quickly. you don't know what's causing it, or who is to blame (if anybody) and yet you're jumping to a lot of pre-conceived conclusions about something you don't seem to know very much about and swearing at people (or possibly your tv licence?) for no good reason. :confused:

either RTE has something wrong or Eircom do. Which one did i pick?

Why pick either??

• Advertisement

Why pick either??

Previous experience?

Noone is perfectly unbiased and it is impossible to be so; i hate eircom
    its a minor technical issue that could be caused by anything and will most likely (now that it's been reported) be resolved pretty quickly. you don't know what's causing it, or who is to blame (if anybody) and yet you're jumping to a lot of pre-conceived conclusions about something you don't seem to know very much about and swearing at people (or possibly your tv licence?) for no good reason. confused.gif

I always swear a lot, not at anyone in particular just a bad habit :pac:

I am however sick of sitting back and saying ok its a once off. I do it ALL the time about everything. Im always getting ripped off on everything and anything, but broadband riles me because its my only real hobby/interest (yes im a sad geek) but its taken this last 3 months to see how much i just sit back and take **** off people because i dont want to make waves. Now that ive tried to make waves they werent big enough and never will be big enough because im one person.
    You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. Save face and drop it.

I dont know what saving face has to do with it. If im wrong; im wrong, no fees needed for ye olde licence, im happy, everyones happy. If im right though; will you pay mine? Will you write me an apology with a cheque for my licence fee? No you wont.

I dont have a licence and i dont use or have a television. My theory thus far has been not answering the door to anyone i dont expect and it has worked. Do i personally think i *should* have one: yes i do with RTEs new online stuff

Will i get one? No

Advertisement