Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Lol At This Polo

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Why has it come down?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I bought a 2000 5 door Polo with 50,000 miles on the clock about 2 months back and paid €2,200. It's a good price for it!

No idea why it's come down but..
    Doors: 3 dr
    EX_65_30194696954_3.jpg

Looks like a 5 door to me! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

miles on car & ad. don't match up

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

snowman707 wrote: »
    miles on car & ad. don't match up

It's only off by about 6000 thousand miles. And the photos could be old, perhaps the dealer is being as open an honest as possible!
    I don't get your point babel, they want to get rid of the yoke. It is being sold without a warranty though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

Maybe they didnt have it as a trade sale last week, i.e. they were selling it serviced up and with a bit of warranty.
    Prob just wanna get rid of it.
    Blackwater tend to be straight down the middle to deal with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭babel2

It's only off by about 6000 thousand miles. And the photos could be old, perhaps the dealer is being as open an honest as possible!
    I don't get your point babel, they want to get rid of the yoke. It is being sold without a warranty though.

it looks a bitsuspicious though. and it has no warranty which is never a good sign

Maybe they didnt have it as a trade sale last week, i.e. they were selling it serviced up and with a bit of warranty.
    Prob just wanna get rid of it.
    Blackwater tend to be straight down the middle to deal with.

it didnt have a warranty because i have kept an eye on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭evogirl

seems like a good buy to me to be honest.

evogirl wrote: »
    seems like a good buy to me to be honest.

the no warranty means there is something wrong with it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,264 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

thats probably too good to be true. seems like a clean car exterior at least...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭high horse

babel2 wrote: »
    it didnt have a warranty because i have kept an eye on it

If you were interested in it at the original price, why are you no longer interested when the price is halved? :confused:
    From what you say, the only thing to have changed is the price which sounds like a good one...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

No it does not.

high horse wrote: »
    If you were interested in it at the original price, why are you no longer interested when the price is halved? :confused:
    From what you say, the only thing to have changed is the price which sounds like a good one...

thats far from the point of this topic.
    the question is why has it been halved so dramatically, and why is there no warranty?it states it only has 3 doors when in fact it has 5, which one would think would be a bonus for a buyer and the mileage is different on the pictures to the ad.:mad:
    SV wrote: »
    No it does not.

then why would you suggest it has none?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭high horse

the question is why has it been halved so dramatically, and why is there no warranty?it states it only has 3 doors when in fact it has 5, which one would think would be a bonus for a buyer and the mileage is different on the pictures to the ad.:mad:

I'd be very surprised if any garage sold a car for 1000 euro and gave a warranty. Most main dealers don't even bother with this end of the market, they just sell them on to smaller dealers.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

God only knows how long that car was up for sale. The dealer probably wants it off their forecourt to make room for better stock. Unless you're a mechanic and have checked the car and found it to be faulty yourself, i suggest you stopping making false claims that there's something definitely wrong with it. It's a 9 year old 1 litre polo, it's not worth much beyond 1000.
    A car having no warranty doesn't mean anything. Once you get it checked out by a mechanic and it's clean you should be grand.

i have bought a couple of 2nd hand cars and bargained the dealer down on price to take the car without the warranty.

i have bought a couple of 2nd hand cars and bargained the dealer down on price to take the car without the warranty.

yeah but at least they were offering it in the first place.

as other posters have said, they probably just want rid of it of their forecourt. i cant honestly see anything wrong with it. from the pics it looks like a pretty decent car for that money :rolleyes:

as other posters have said, they probably just want rid of it of their forecourt. i cant honestly see anything wrong with it. from the pics it looks like a pretty decent car for that money :rolleyes:

yeah it does to be honest, but i just dont get why they have no warranty. surely it would sell faster if they had it?
    and the dropping of the prize so drastically seems a little to desperate to sell it.

yeah it does to be honest, but i just dont get why they have no warranty. surely it would sell faster if they had it?
    and the dropping of the prize so drastically seems a little to desperate to sell it.
    my advice would be if you were interested, is to get your own mechanic to take a look at it to make sure it is in good condititon. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Jesus Babel, what exactly is the point of this thread?

Are you interested in buying this car and worried about it?
    Are you uninterested in the car but are just curious as to why a garage would change their pricing structure?
    Are you uninterested in this car, but just want some internet strangers to share in your suspicion about the garage's motives for lowering the price?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

OP, I'm starting to think you are ripping the piss a bit. How many times is it now that you have posted in relation to requesting information on a VW Polo? My advice for you is that if you see a nice one you're interested in, just buy the damn thing!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

I dont understand it? People start threads on here about how dear cars are in Ireland to buy, but when a main dealer drops the price of a car, there must be something wrong with it? Sounds to me like you want the best of both worlds.

Its a trade sale, which means it's sold as seen. If you really want a warranty that bad, after market warranties can be purchased for as little as 200 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Churchy

This is why Main Dealers up North dont sell "trade" cars to the public.

They are more trouble than they are worth - both the cars and type's of people drawn to them.
    Sooner you guys learn the lesson the better for all concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Churchy wrote: »
    This is why Main Dealers up North dont sell "trade" cars to the public.

Thats one thing I'm wondering Churchy. I would assume by definition in the first place that trade sale means the seller will only sell to someone who is in the motor trade. I (not being in the motor trade and looking for a car for personal use) have gone into various garages (in the South) in the past and looked at their trade cars and spoke to the car salesman with the intention of buying (or selling from their point of view) one of these cars. Other garages I went into and looked at or questioned the salesman about their trade cars I was told that the car(s) are trade only and then shown other cars they had in stock. So from my own point of view I'm not sure what trade sale means here if indeed it means anything:confused:

OP the Polo seems very very good for the money....on paper anyway. Especially considering there are a good few months tax and test left on it. Assuming the car drives well it would seem to be a steal. However, regardless of how it drives do check for possible head gasket failure as it is one expensive thing to rectify that may catch you out. Warning signs (among others) include oil visible in the expansion tank, mayonnaise type sludge on dipstick/ under oil cap and car heater blowing out cold air when you have warm air on after one would have expected the engine to be up to operating temperature. Also if you attempt to slowly open the expansion bottle at this point and there is absolutely serious pressure in it, it would seem to indicate a problem. I had a friend when in college who had a 99 polo and the power steering pump gave up on it and set him back a fair few quid as far as I recall so this may/ may not be a problem to look out for on the polos also. Wouldn't be an expert but if the steering was very stiff, or made wierd noises when turning it I think it may be a good indicator of trouble. Maybe somebody else viewing might know more about this one though? If your not very savvy with cars it would probably be no harm to carry along somebody who is or even a mechanic for extra piece of mind. Oh, if you are buying make sure you see the logbook too as have heard a few horror stories from a few people recently who bought cars and failed to get logbooks and ownership transferred into their name.

Best of luck with it whatever you decide if I don't get there before you (I'm serious)...I need a car too so might probably end up heading down to Cork next weekend if its still available as am very interested after looking. Will be giving Blackwater Motors a buzz during the week to find out about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,141 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

OP it's a 9 year old car, main dealers usually do not want stock of this age on their forecourts for long. This dealer has alot of cars for sale as trade sales. Maybe this is their way of just trying to get rid of old stock quickly though personally I think it is a mistake to sell trade sales to joe public.

If you are interested in it then bring a mechanic with you to check the car over, €1000 is not alot to pay for it if it is running well. Some of the cash you saved over the price a couple of weeks ago will make up for the lack of warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

bazz26 wrote: »
    it is a mistake to sell trade sales to joe public.

Its not really a trade sale so in the first place if this if that were to be the case. Am I missing something here?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Know someone that may be interested in this. What to lok out for? Clutch, timing belt schedule, funny noises, suspension, gearbox... Anything else?

Edit: despite the trade sale its still illegal to sell it if it has head gasket failure or any other major fault?

• Registered Users Posts: 64,858 ✭✭✭✭unkel

bazz26 wrote: »
    personally I think it is a mistake to sell trade sales to joe public.

Couldn't agree more. Dealers are shooting themselves in the foot by doing this. Should there be anything wrong with the car, the buyer will take legal action (low threshold low cost small claims court - probably favourably looking at the claimant)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

I agree but is it fair to assume it would still be sold in some fit state? Maybe needs a few bushings or a service but not mechanically unsound?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement