Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chimps Can Get AIDS

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭karlog

God hates chimps!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Well, I wouldn't be surprised if it was a species jumper. They say that ebola outbreaks come from people hunting and eating primates, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

karlog wrote: »
    God hates chimps!!

Silly God, it's them dirty bonobos that do the homosexual fornicating.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

I thought it had been generally assumed that AIDs jumped to humans from chimps?

Does that mean god hates beastiality?

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

When I was in primary school the "word on the street" was that AIDS was brought about by some black guy fúcking a monkey!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭steppen

I thought it had been generally assumed that AIDs jumped to humans from chimps?

Does that mean god hates beastiality?

Yeah, I think this too,

from what I remember HIV is a mixture of SIV (Simian) and influenza 1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Galvasean wrote: »
    Source:
    http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2009/07/090722-chimps-aids.html

I'm guessing this should be the final nail in the coffin of the idea that some religious folk hold that God sent AIDS to punish the homosexuals.
    Or will they merely fob it off?

I can confidently predict that the Westboro Baptist Church will, in the coming days, issue a statement confirming their disbandment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

... Surly this is not news to you?

I was of the understanding that aids probably jumped from apes(chimps) to humans via bush meat...

People will eat anything... Mmm tasty tasty random dead animal.

edit: should have read the article... Makes more sense now...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

karlog wrote: »
    God hates chimps!!.com

Corrected that for you, mind, the !! will never work in a domain name but that's just semantics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Wait, didn't we original get HIV from chimps? Through the polo vaccine?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Wicknight wrote: »
    Wait, didn't we original get HIV from chimps?

Yes.
    Through the polo vaccine?

No. What?

Wait, polio? Apparently it's one of the theories, never heard that one before. http://www.who.int/inf-pr-2000/en/state2000-04.html

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭darjeeling

Wicknight wrote: »
    Wait, didn't we original get HIV from chimps? Through the polo vaccine?

The vaccine with the hole? There was an idea promoted in a book by journalist Edward Hooper that, during the 1950s, HIV contaminated polio vaccines cultured in cells from primate kidneys, and then crossed into humans via mass vaccine trials in Central Africa. Crucially, it was thought that HIV had first appeared in humans around this time. However, later work on the HIV genetic sequence diversity that has evolved in humans since the first infection has pushed the chimp-human transmission date back in time to perhaps the start of the 20th century or earlier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

darjeeling wrote: »
    The vaccine with the hole? There was an idea promoted in a book by journalist Edward Hooper that, during the 1950s, HIV contaminated polio vaccines cultured in cells from primate kidneys, and then crossed into humans via mass vaccine trials in Central Africa. Crucially, it was thought that HIV had first appeared in humans around this time. However, later work on the HIV genetic sequence diversity that has evolved in humans since the first infection has pushed the chimp-human transmission date back in time to perhaps the start of the 20th century or earlier.

Bah, you and your science!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Bushmeat, that sounds interisting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

chimps are gay

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

chimps are gay

Phelps should start protesting at the zoo.

Preferably in the lions cages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

However, later work on the HIV genetic sequence diversity that has evolved in humans since the first infection has pushed the chimp-human transmission date back in time to perhaps the start of the 20th century or earlier.

I worked in the product development and technical side of life assurance and this has been a prevalent view for quite some time.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Poor Sean was a little late on the boat here. :)

There's an interesting series on AIDS deniers on youtube by a guy called concordance. Funnily enough they seem to use the same type of tactics as the more fundy creationists.

chimps are gay

So are dolphins - thats why the one in Dingle is called Funguy:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Source:

I'm guessing this should be the final nail in the coffin of the idea that some religious folk hold that God sent AIDS to punish the homosexuals.

The latter, in pathetic yet funny style.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

chimps are gay

The hairy ones are called 'bears'.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Nodin wrote: »
    The hairy ones are called 'bears'.

There's a Joanna Newsom song called Monkey and Bear about the love between a monkey and a bear. How prophetic...

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

There's a Joanna Newsom song called Monkey and Bear about the love between a monkey and a bear. How prophetic...

"THE BEAR IS FULL OF AIDS!!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

Yeah I still harbour a conspiratorial mind about that one. I remember Rolling stone magazine did an article on it and ended up getting sued. I remember thinking it made very good sense at the time.

stevejazzx wrote: »
    Yeah I still harbour a conspiratorial mind about that one. I remember Rolling stone magazine did an article on it and ended up getting sued. I remember thinking it made very good sense at the time.

I spoke to an actuary/underwriter in the early 90s and they had statistical data on aids related diseases going back thru the years which showed a variations from heterosexual populations to the early 20th century.

I think there is a lot of stereotyping in the more wacko theories.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭darjeeling

stevejazzx wrote: »

Hooper's HIV-via-polio vaccine thesis was certainly taken seriously by the scientific community for a while around 1999. The renowned biologist and selfish gene pioneer Bill Hamilton thought it deserved investigating, and helped convene a Royal Society meeting to discuss it (Hamilton died months later through malaria contracted while looking for more evidence). Since 1999, though, the evidence has been stacking up against the thesis:

• Chimp kidneys would have to have been used for polio virus culture in the labs in eastern Congo, yet there are only anecdotal reports from technicians that this might have happened; the literature indicated that monkey kidneys were used. Studies of archived vaccine samples confirmed this, and found no SIV or HIV present.
    • The SIV strain in the chimps would have to have been the closest to human HIV1, yet the most similar strains have been only found in a subspecies of chimp that lives much further west.
    • The modelling of HIV1 genetic sequence evolution also has to be wrong, allowing for much more rapid genetic divergence than is currently thought.
    • Apparently the Congo epidemiology didn't really fit either, with poor correspondence between vaccination centres and early HIV cases.

At least up until a few years ago, Hooper was still pressing his case, by then talking of a western medical conspiracy to prevent undermining of confidence in vaccination, and using plenty of ad hominem attacks on the scientists who had given him a fair hearing before concluding he was wrong.

Reverting a bit to topic, a paper this year used a genetic sequence-based method to date the origins of chimp SIV (-> HIV1 in Central Africa) and sooty mangabey SIV (-> the forgotten HIV2 in West Africa) and estimated that both are only centuries old (here). Perhaps, then, it shouldn't be so surprising that SIV is pathological in chimps. The next question is where the SIVs came from before they got into their present hosts.

I've been trying to figure how to give this post an A&A slant, but nothing has come to me, so I shall simply commend it into the hands of the mods.

darjeeling - I think its enough to say that it isn't a gay plague and the science shows its elsewhere. Most Christians believe in the rational world and agree with you.The ones that dont -well enough said. Viruses jump species and can mutate.

CD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Rev. Kitchen

Source:

He sent it to punish homosexuals , gay people and gay monkeys

Chimp aids does sound funny :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32 DaveMaC

Yip and cats get AIDS too, FAIDS -with the F for Feline.
    And No!
    -- they dont get it from eating homosexual chimp meat...

• Advertisement

Its the demon drink that causes it as this video explains.

http://www.maniacworld.com/drunk-animals-of-africa.html

Advertisement