Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New section of M6 opened

Options
  • 24-07-2009 12:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭

Now I think some of this is quite shite.

First off is that 100km/h speed limit signs will be erected on this new Athlone-Ballinasloe stretch due to a fcuk up by the minister, only to be replaced 36 days later by 120km/h speed limit signs. Who is paying for the minister's fcuk up? You and I.

Second thing is afaik there will be a toll between Ballinasloe and Galway, bringing it to 3 the number of tolls between Galway and Dublin Airport.

3rd thing is the original plans were for the M9 Waterford motorway to be completed first, but M6-Galway is racing ahead. Is this because Galway has better FF connections?

Ironically the M9 will be the only Dublin-to-regional-capital motorway that is not tolled.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

JHMEG wrote: »
    3rd thing is the original plans were for the M9 Waterford motorway to be completed first, but M6-Galway is racing ahead. Is this because Galway has better FF connections?
    No, but it's about time some money was spent outside the Pale and Leinster tbh. There is more to life than the East Coast.

Same sort of hullah going on now vis-a-vis the Western Rail Corridor. The whingers in the East are moaning. Didn't stop them giving themselves the present of the Dart or Luas, though, did it........??

Ironically the M9 will be the only Dublin-to-regional-capital motorway that is not tolled.
    Irony? I can think of other words.........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭AugustusMaximus

Waterford bypass will be tolled though.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I wouldn't worry too much about the speed limit signs, apparently the road is already signed as a motorway so it'll just be a matter of replacing the '100's with '120's. I'm also pretty happy about the M6 in general - i'll happily pay a couple of euro for the convenience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Patrickhegart

Now I think some of this is quite shite.

First off is that 100km/h speed limit signs will be erected on this new Athlone-Ballinasloe stretch due to a fcuk up by the minister, only to be replaced 36 days later by 120km/h speed limit signs. Who is paying for the minister's fcuk up? You and I.

The other option was to leave a perfectly finished road closed for the month. You should do a little research instead of jumping on the Fine Gael band wagan.:rolleyes:

You should do a little research instead of jumping on the Fine Gael band wagan.
    -As Anan1 says its only a matter of changing the lollopop signs(and at that the poles dont need to be changed).
    -The main costs of changing a dual carriageway into a motorway are the costs of changing signs(not nec here as signs are already motorway(ie blue) and changing lines(not necessary as no broken yellow) and armco(already motorway standard).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,266 ✭✭✭alias no.9

While the Dublin - Waterford route was in desperate need of a major upgrade, I don't think it was ever warranted to have a motorway the whole length of the M9 route. A motorway link to the M11 may have been a cheaper option and would have helped to distribute the traffic coming into Dublin a bit better, rather than having traffic coming from Cork, Limerick and Waterford all converging on Newlands Cross and the Red Cow Interchange.
    The reason that the M9 happened was because Martin Cullen was Minister for Transport for a while and the reason it has fallen behind in the race to become the first completed interurban route may be because Martin Cullen is no longer Minister for Transport.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

galwaytt wrote: »
    No, but it's about time some money was spent outside the Pale and Leinster tbh. There is more to life than the East Coast.

Same sort of hullah going on now vis-a-vis the Western Rail Corridor. The whingers in the East are moaning. Didn't stop them giving themselves the present of the Dart or Luas, though, did it........??

Irony? I can think of other words.........
    The N9 is the worst national primary in the country. If you drove it I don't think you'd begrudge the people of Waterford and the South East a better road.

I think I may have answered my own question... the sooner the M6 is opened the sooner it starts making money from tolls. The M9 will never make money.

I think I may have answered my own question... the sooner the M6 is opened the sooner it starts making money from tolls. The M9 will never make money.

And make money it will, as usual us westerners will get crucified with a toll that is unfairly greater than any other direction. Kinegad toll is €2.90 v Cork/Drogheda €1.90 v no toll in most other directions.

It will cost galway people around €9 just to get to the airport each way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Absolute disgrace isn't it. And galway people will still pay it!!

We should of built a fecking wall. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

And make money it will, as usual us westerners will get crucified with a toll that is unfairly greater than any other direction. Kinegad toll is €2.90 v Cork/Drogheda €1.90 v no toll in most other directions.

It will also cost "easterners" €9 just to get to Galway each way (races, arts festival, etc. etc), so it's not just discrimination against you.

• Advertisement

phutyle wrote: »
    It will also cost "easterners" €9 just to get to Galway each way (races, arts festival, etc. etc), so it's not just discrimination against you.

you've listed entertainment events which are once of, try having to drive up and down daily/every week to go to work

And before anyone says we are not forced to use it, try driving the old N6 road which is now empty at 80kph(full of cops) for 140 miles, will drive you insane

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Brabus

The N9 is the worst national primary in the country. If you drove it I don't think you'd begrudge the people of Waterford and the South East a better road.
    +1
    We can't wait for it to be finished down here in the good ol soggy SE!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

you've listed entertainment events which are once of, try having to drive up and down daily/every week to go to work

And before anyone says we are not forced to use it, try driving the old N6 road which is now empty at 80kph(full of cops) for 140 miles, will drive you insane

I don't deny that 9 euro is a lot to pay for the road. I just don't agree with your western victim attitude. Plenty of people have to travel from the east to Galway for work, business and education too. It's a major national road, lots of people use it.

When the M7 is complete, I'll face similar charges going to Dublin. But so will my family and friends coming to visit me in Clare. So I'm not going to claim that I as a mid-westerner is getting screwed - everyone has to pay.

We're just going to have to get used to the fact that we pay tolls for roads like every other developed country in the world. Either that or elect a governemnt that will raise taxes enough to pay for roads without private investment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

We're just going to have to get used to the fact that we pay tolls for roads like every other developed country in the world. Either that or elect a governemnt that will raise taxes enough to pay for roads without private investment.

We should get our prison population to build the roads, under guard of the army. That'd be a nice cheap solution :pac:

I don't deny that 9 euro is a lot to pay for the road. I just don't agree with your western victim attitude. Plenty of people have to travel from the east to Galway for work, business and education too. It's a major national road, lots of people use it.

When the M7 is complete, I'll face similar charges going to Dublin. But so will my family and friends coming to visit me in Clare. So I'm not going to claim that I as a mid-westerner is getting screwed - everyone has to pay.

Will you please read my post again, you are ignoring my point to argue something completely different:rolleyes:

Its a fact that Dublin is the capital of Ireland and therefore its the most popular destination(whether it is work/matches/airport/concert.....) so if you are travelling from Cork/north to Dublin you will pay €2 versus €6 when travelling from Galway(im ignoring the M50 toll here but it will make no difference).

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Torq

Anan1 wrote: »
    I wouldn't worry too much about the speed limit signs, apparently the road is already signed as a motorway so it'll just be a matter of replacing the '100's with '120's. I'm also pretty happy about the M6 in general - i'll happily pay a couple of euro for the convenience.

Wait till you are heading west at 120kph on the motorway, join the athlone bypass (100kph limit) still doing 120kph and you meet the new speed limit signs just after the ballymahon exit. Three lanes and nice little lollypops with 50km on them! :eek: So you are still doing 120kph, maybe 130, almost 3 times the speed limit!! You get caught, summonsed, loose your license and your name appears in the paper for outrageous speeding, everyone on boards calls you a c0ck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

Indeed it is shockingly bad. Just out of curiousity though, wouldn't it have been a lot cheaper and easier to link up with the M11 at Enniscorthy or Wexford or whereever? Currently is it faster to take the N11 to waterford than the M9??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Will you please read my post again, you are ignoring my point to argue something completely different:rolleyes:

Its a fact that Dublin is the capital of Ireland and therefore its the most popular destination(whether it is work/matches/airport/concert.....) so if you are travelling from Cork/north to Dublin you will pay €2 versus €6 when travelling from Galway(im ignoring the M50 toll here but it will make no difference).

The M8 will have 2 tolls just like the Dublin-Galway route (1 on M4, 1 on M6) so your facts are incorrect. I would advise you to check this first before ranting. There is one at Fermoy and there will be one on the M7/M8 scheme when its completed next year.

I would gladly pay toll so I wouldnt end up in hospital or worse on a crappy single carriageway road. Your also ranting about the west, I can tell you when the N17/N18 scheme is completed there will be no toll from Tuam-Outside Limerick city. So you points about the west severly affected with tolls are invalid.

Tipp Man wrote: »
    Indeed it is shockingly bad. Just out of curiousity though, wouldn't it have been a lot cheaper and easier to link up with the M11 at Enniscorthy or Wexford or whereever? Currently is it faster to take the N11 to waterford than the M9??
    No, as there are only two bypasses in all of Co Wexford (Wexford town and Gorey), and only one of them is on the route.

The M9 is being built not only to serve Waterford but most of counties Carlow and Kilkenny, South Kildare, South Wexford and even bits of Offaly and Tipp. Extending the M11 would probably have been cheaper but wouldn't cover nearly as much.

tech2 wrote: »
    The M8 will have 2 tolls just like the Dublin-Galway route (1 on M4, 1 on M6) so your facts are incorrect. I would advise you to check this first before ranting. There is one at Fermoy and there will be one on the M7/M8 scheme when its completed next year.

yes but my point is that fermoy is €1.90 versus Kinegad €2.90. Im sure it will be same when the other t:rolleyes:olls open

• Advertisement

So you points about the west severly affected with tolls are invalid.

Why not compare like with like;)

eg: the west//south east/north/south to Dublin(captail of Ireland)

not jamica / limerick to galway or what ever you were comparing.

Plus flip all of limerick to galway will be motorway it will mostly be dual carriageway oh yea and N17 wont be done for at least 10/20 years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Why not compare like with like;)

eg: the west//south east/north/south to Dublin(captail of Ireland)

not jamica / limerick to galway or what ever you were comparing.

First you spelled capital incorrect. Well these schemes are being built as interurbans not what direction they go. These interurbans connect Dublin to the the major cities in Rep Ireland not whether if they are in the east, south of north. The toll on the M7/M8 scheme hasnt been announced yet.
    Plus flip all of limerick to galway will be motorway it will mostly be dual carriageway oh yea and N17 wont be done for at least 10/20 years

Could you define "flip all"? 20km will be redesingated motorway(Shannon-Ennis) on the 28th of August. Gort-Crusheen is under construction and will open as motorway another 22km next year. The N17/N18 PPP is 50km and is due to start construction next year.

M18/M17 amount of motorway

2009: 20km
    2010: 42km
    2013: 90km

If you like to discuss this please back it up with facts next time before you go on another silly rant.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Torq wrote: »
    Wait till you are heading west at 120kph on the motorway, join the athlone bypass (100kph limit) still doing 120kph and you meet the new speed limit signs just after the ballymahon exit. Three lanes and nice little lollypops with 50km on them! :eek: So you are still doing 120kph, maybe 130, almost 3 times the speed limit!! You get caught, summonsed, loose your license and your name appears in the paper for outrageous speeding, everyone on boards calls you a c0ck.
    50?? I thought the limit on the new section was 100?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Walshie

Has anyone an idea on the rest of the M6 schedule to Galway? Is it due to be ready for the Races next year?
    First you spelled capital incorrect. Well these schemes are being built as interurbans not what direction they go. These interurbans connect Dublin to the the major cities in Rep Ireland not whether if they are in the east, south of north. The toll on the M7/M8 scheme hasnt been announced yet.

Could you define "flip all"? 20km will be redesingated motorway(Shannon-Ennis) on the 28th of August. Gort-Crusheen is under construction and will open as motorway another 22km next year. The N17/N18 PPP is 50km and is due to start construction next year.

M18/M17 amount of motorway

2009: 20km
    2010: 42km
    2013: 90km

If you like to discuss this please back it up with facts next time before you go on another silly rant.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Torq

Anan1 wrote: »
    50?? I thought the limit on the new section was 100?

It's not the new section, it's on the old bypass, the signs went up about a month ago between the ballymahon road and coosan exits, west bound only though. Could be to do with the roadworks pre the new section of motorway opening. Must check if the limit is still there next time I'm down.

Torq

Just back from Galway. Didn't see any speed limit signs at all on the new Athlone-Ballinasloe section, but there is some confusion about the Athlone bypass and the speed limit on it. The signs are all still green meaning non-motorway but I didn't notice any 100km/h signs there either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Sconsey

First you spelled capital incorrect. <snip>

Hmmm...you forgot to use a conditional statement in your sentence making it difficult to understand your point. You should have said 'If you would like to ..'

Now how helpful was my post? about as helpuful as pointing out an obvious typo?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

:rolleyes: back on topic please!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 12,367 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Its gonna be 100km/hr for a few weeks. Theres some engineering reason behind it all, but it has to be done (ive a friend whos an engineer on the M6 Athlone-ballinasloe road so thats all im going by). It was the same for the moate motorway wasnt it? A few weeks of 100km/hr and then bumped up to 120km/hr.

As for the toll, I though this was going to be closer to Athenry then ballinasloe.

Its a bit rediculous dropping the old road from 100km/hr down to 80km/hr, if the road is designed for 100km/hr then wheres the justifiation? And if it wasnt designed for 100km/hr, why was it 100km/hr in the first place! :confused:

Advertisement