Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The worst software you have ever used?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 MadMossy

I just got Kaspersky Internet Security 2010 11 days ago.

It doesn't work.

It hangs during a full scan and a quick scan.
    It doesn't allow you to switch it off using Task Manager.
    It freezes the entire PC requiring a plug-it-out scenario.

Kaspersky are blaming customers other software for causing these conflicts and insist you send them some file with a breakdown of everything on your computer. This is rubbish, how come BitDefender, Trend Micro and all the others don't have this?

I contacted Kaspersky, stating that I have no intention of sending any file, the problem is obviously their crapware, and that if they can't send me a patch that fixes it I want my money back.

Here's the reply:
    2009.07.27, 13:58 - Darrel Rendell:

Hello,

The software functions perfectly fine on hundreds of millions of users around the world, I'm sorry the same cannot be said for your machine.

Sadly, without any information (which does not include any personal data) we cannot help you.

It would be worth contacting Digital River our reseller directly, they can issue you a refund without delay.

the email address is below .

kaspersky.uk.cs@digitalriver.com

Their own support forums are crammed with people with the same problem and always the same reply, it's not our software it's your machine.

Google 'Kaspersky Crashes' and see for yourself

I'm running a Dell Inspiron 530, Intel Core 2 Duo, 2Gb of Ram and not much else on it bar internet and Paint Shop Pro. Windows Vista Home Basic.
    It's a good enough spec and a modern enough machine that I shouldn't have any problems, yet here it is wrecked because of Crapersky.

DON'T BUY KASPERSKY - THEY TAKE YOUR MONEY, SELL YOU CRAPWARE AND DON'T SUPPORT IT.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,010 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

MadMossy wrote: »
    I just got Kaspersky Internet Security 2010 11 days ago.

It doesn't work.

It hangs during a full scan and a quick scan.
    It doesn't allow you to switch it off using Task Manager.
    It freezes the entire PC requiring a plug-it-out scenario.

Kaspersky are blaming customers other software for causing these conflicts and insist you send them some file with a breakdown of everything on your computer. This is rubbish, how come BitDefender, Trend Micro and all the others don't have this?

I contacted Kaspersky, stating that I have no intention of sending any file, the problem is obviously their crapware, and that if they can't send me a patch that fixes it I want my money back.

Here's the reply:
    2009.07.27, 13:58 - Darrel Rendell:

Hello,

The software functions perfectly fine on hundreds of millions of users around the world, I'm sorry the same cannot be said for your machine.

Sadly, without any information (which does not include any personal data) we cannot help you.

It would be worth contacting Digital River our reseller directly, they can issue you a refund without delay.

the email address is below .

kaspersky.uk.cs@digitalriver.com

Their own support forums are crammed with people with the same problem and always the same reply, it's not our software it's your machine.

Google 'Kaspersky Crashes' and see for yourself

I'm running a Dell Inspiron 530, Intel Core 2 Duo, 2Gb of Ram and not much else on it bar internet and Paint Shop Pro. Windows Vista Home Basic.
    It's a good enough spec and a modern enough machine that I shouldn't have any problems, yet here it is wrecked because of Crapersky.

DON'T BUY KASPERSKY - THEY TAKE YOUR MONEY, SELL YOU CRAPWARE AND DON'T SUPPORT IT.
    Interesting, the last time I tryed Kaspersky I ran into the same problems, it was about a year ago I'd say,

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 7 MadMossy

Nick,

My PC just hung again as soon as the software hit 19% of a full scan.

I literally have to power the machine off to get it back, it freezes solid.

I posted to the security forum because I am worried about the way Kaspersky now simply goes "Ah you have this software or that software, that's why ours doesn't work"

And also the fact the computer hangs, full RAM usage, Internet connection on and God knows what the software is sending out.

This is becoming censorship.

On their own forums one of the tech support staff basically said "You have Bittorrent, we don't support piracy, it's causing a conflict, you'll need to remove it". As far as I knew Bittorrent the application is perfectly legal.

They are designing software to eliminate other software and steer how we use the web.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Limewire. Only used it minimally myself years ago but other people who use it and riddle their computer and ask me to fix it. I'll do it but I have told them in the first place not to use it!

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭brianwalshcork

sceptre wrote: »
    Oh good lord, that's almost as bad

Can't comment on Clipper, but FoxPro has it's place for app development. Royalty free runtime distribution, means you only pay for the development license (<€600) and the IDE isn't bad.

Without going the open source route, you won't get very many visual studio licences + MSSQL server licences + MSSQL CALs for €600.

It's a pity MS are killing it off...

But this thread is more about end user applications, you can make a bad end user app in any language....

My vote for horrible software is iTunes.... grand when all is going well... but I've lost my music library for inexplicable reasons.... frequent large updates required too.

Brian

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

Vista <- Hateful piece of honk

Real Player always annoyed me. Messages popping out of every corner of the app!

VLC all the way now.
    VLC FTW! (And it's French!) :D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

WinME, followed by IE

• Registered Users Posts: 81,830 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

AVG. Ive used faster apps. and i chose to give it a try right around the time the Linkscanner came about - what a terrible feature.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

AS/400

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

VLC FTW! (And it's French!) :D

Still hate the way you can not tell it not to pod up errors! Only once one comes up can you tell it not to pop up subsequent errors but there seems no way to permanently tell it to shut up!

Otherwise ok...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbaymusicman

The latest firefox and itunes

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

BOFH_139 wrote: »
    AS/400
    :eek:

Brings me back to my Cobol / RPG programming days in college!

Overheal wrote: »
    AVG. Ive used faster apps. and i chose to give it a try right around the time the Linkscanner came about - what a terrible feature.
    Hated it when LinkScanner appeared! But easy to disable and still happy with AVG I must say. ;)

enda1 wrote: »
    Still hate the way you can not tell it not to pod up errors! Only once one comes up can you tell it not to pop up subsequent errors but there seems no way to permanently tell it to shut up!

Otherwise ok...
    True... But can't complain: it's freeware!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

An old belkin wireless utility. Complete pain in the arse to get it to connect to the network, then when it did it would drop the connection every couple of minutes despite being beside the router at the time. Used the built in wireless utility in windows and it worked a treat first time.

Advertisement