Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Face book warning

Options
  • 23-07-2009 7:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭

Copied from another user on Facebook, but as far as I can see, this is genuine:

Facebook has agreed to let third party advertisers use your posted pictures in their ads.
    Click on SETTINGS up at the top where you see the log out link.
    Select PRIVACY - MANAGE.
    Select NEWS FEEDS AND WALL.
    Select the tab that reads FACE BOOK ADS.
    There is a drop down box, select NO ONE.

Save.

just so you all know. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

I've always wanted to get into ads, and here's my chance!

(Great idea on Facebook's part)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

if you say so, personally I don't like the idea of people making money out of me or my pictures.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭InkSlinger67

I hope they use mine !!!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

I hope they use mine !!!

How have you not been made a mod yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

I hope they use mine !!!
    You should start a thread to find a caption to go with that..!

mine:
    I know that curry is here somewhere...!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭CPT. SURF

if you say so, personally I don't like the idea of people making money out of me or my pictures.....

Really? Post a pic of yourself and we'll see if your worth anything at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭InkSlinger67

You should start a thread to find a caption to go with that..!

mine:
    I know that curry is here somewhere...!

"Ow!!!! My Boneitis!!!!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Anything for them to try and turn a profit for once!

[latex]bollocko waz ere[/latex]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

I don't think they're ads for Facebook using your image, but ads to third party that sites that reference your Facebook profile. Kind of like how Google Ads look different to different people, according to the user's interests.

For example, I was on a site last week and a banner ad addressed me by name ("Hi <my name>") and was accompanied by my Facebook profile pic. I think that's what this setting prevents when deactivated, they're hardly going to use amateur photographs on billboards advertising Facebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,992 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I hope they use mine !!!

Fianna Fail have expressed an interest in using it to replace the party logo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,371 ✭✭✭Dartz

Posting pictures of yourself on facebook is equivelant to streaking naked through Croke Park on All-Ireland day, in front of the entire planet.

Bloody morons. Running around the internet with their tackle slapping in the breeze.

Dartz wrote: »
    Posting pictures of yourself on facebook is equivelant to streaking naked through Croke Park on All-Ireland day, in front of the entire planet.

Bloody morons. Running around the internet with their tackle slapping in the breeze.
    What about people who post up pics of you without your permission and then link them back to you?
    I ****ing can't stand that. Keep your tardedness to your own facebook page. Don't include me in your pic posting crap.:mad:
    Oh wait.
    This is not ranting and raving.
    Calm down bollocko.
    /sips whiskey.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Prof.Badass

[latex]bollocko waz ere[/latex]

[latex]Noobs\enspace cannot\enspace do \enspace spaces \enspace [/latex]:D.

What about people who post up pics of you without your permission and then link them back to you?
    I ****ing can't stand that. Keep your tardedness to your own facebook page. Don't include me in your pic posting crap.:mad:
    Oh wait.
    Calm down bollocko.
    /sips whiskey.

ehh just click remove this tag ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Steoob

I hope they use mine !!!
    I hope they use MINE!!

I believe this only applies to those customised ads on Facebook itself. For example, there's one for some app which randomly throws up pictures of your friends suggesting what their IQ is and wants you to take a test. I think that disabling this option stops you from showing up in these ads when they are shown to your friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Prof.Badass

Karsini wrote: »
    I believe this only applies to those customised ads on Facebook itself. For example, there's one for some app which randomly throws up pictures of your friends suggesting what their IQ is and wants you to take a test. I think that disabling this option stops you from showing up in these ads when they are shown to your friends.

Well, surely that IQ test is false advertising, as it gives the impression your friends have taken the test, when they have not.

Regardless, I wouldn't be too happy if my pic was used to spread awareness of vd.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Copied from another user on Facebook, but as far as I can see, this is genuine:

Facebook has agreed to let third party advertisers use your posted pictures in their ads.
    Click on SETTINGS up at the top where you see the log out link.
    Select PRIVACY - MANAGE.
    Select NEWS FEEDS AND WALL.
    Select the tab that reads FACE BOOK ADS.
    There is a drop down box, select NO ONE.

Save.

just so you all know. :)

Wonder if they might use my mugg on a poster for the Rape crisis centre?

• Advertisement

vinylmesh wrote: »
    Well, surely that IQ test is false advertising, as it gives the impression your friends have taken the test, when they have not.

Regardless, I wouldn't be too happy if my pic was used to spread awareness of std's.

I agree, just saying that it doesn't mean that they can pass your photos on to sites outside of Facebook.

Karsini wrote: »
    I agree, just saying that it doesn't mean that they can pass your photos on to sites outside of Facebook.

read the terms and conditions of face book you might be surprised......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I hope they use mine !!!

Yeah right, they're using members' pics to avoid royalty fees, why use that when Bono would be straight onto them lookin for money?

Sounds like typical paranoia to me. I do have this option disabled though, I don't want myself in these ads anyway.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

Thanks for the tip, shall be disabling this on my Facebook next time i log on, that and untagging all the photos i'm in;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

They dont need your permission, they own the photos
    Oh wait.
    Calm down bollocko.
    /sips whiskey.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

They dont need your permission, they own the photos

I don't think it's right that they can tag without permission. You should get a message asking if you agree with the tag, IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Just changed the settings on my facebook after reading this topic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

snyper wrote: »
    Wonder if they might use my mugg on a poster for the Rape crisis centre?

Pointless. Facebook is only available to users aged 13 or over, people far older than the intended audience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

Oh wait.
    Calm down bollocko.
    /sips whiskey.

People who do that deserve to be shot.

Advertisement