Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Emigrating but absolutely petrified!!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 mimich

Eve_Dublin wrote: »
    I've heard Granada is amazing...if things don't work out in Madrid, I'm heading there so I might see you there!

Do you mind me asking if you already have a job there? You'ev obviously got a place to live with your girlfriend. Like yourself, I'm not too picky job-wise although I'll need to get enough to pay bills etc. I've always been broke so enough for food, rent, bills and an auld cerveza after work will do me for the time being. My Spanish is passable but it's Argentinian Castellano and very different to what they speak in Madrid. I'm finding it very difficult to take the "lisp" they use there seriously...haha!

I'm sure you'll have no problem picking up Spanish with your latin base so don't worry about it. Have a great time. I'm excited now...looking forward to the sense of freedom again.

Nope! no job there and no place to live yet!!! ha ha. I'm sure you feel better now! We just booked an hostel for 5 nights until we find a place.

Yes, apparently Granada is amazin, but hard to get their accent!

Now I have questions myself:
    Can I ask for the dole for 60 days myself until i found a job?
    Is it worth taking spanish lessons overthere of will I pick it up easily?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

mimich wrote: »
    Nope! no job there and no place to live yet!!! ha ha. I'm sure you feel better now! We just booked an hostel for 5 nights until we find a place.

Yes, apparently Granada is amazin, but hard to get their accent!

Now I have questions myself:
    Can I ask for the dole for 60 days myself until i found a job?
    Is it worth taking spanish lessons overthere of will I pick it up easily?

I've been told by another poster that you're entitled to claim the dole over there if you're an EU citizen, which I'm presuming you are as you said you come from France (I should be a detective). Not sure of the ins and outs of it but I'd try doing your research from here as I can't imagine it's not easy applying for the dole if you can't speak Spanish (if it's anything like the system here then were screwed!!)

To be honest, I travelled South America for 11 months and I thought I'd come home fluent but I was mainly hanging out with fellow backpackers talking English most of the time and my Spanish wasn't nearly as good as I thought it would be by the time I got home BUT you're not backpacking...you'll be living there so you should pick it up with total immersion. I took classes here in Ireland before I travelled and did 3 weeks over there so I'd recommend them just to get the basics down and you can build on that once you get over there.

If money is tight, you can buy a teach yourself Spanish book...I got one in Hughes and Hughes for E50 and I think DK/Hugo published it and it's from beginner up to fluency. Teaching yourself could also be easier time-wise...you can decide when you want to sit down and study at your own pace but then there's the danger that you won't have the motivation like myself at the minute. However, I think when you get there and you realise communication is the key to meeting people, getting a job, not feeling like an outside and generally having a good time, you'll feel more motivated.

Have you read through this thread? Lots of good advice.

Is there such thing as Teaching French as a Foreign Language course that you could do (maybe online) before you go over??

Oh and look at Craigslist for a place to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 mimich

Thanks for all your advices!
    Teaching french abroad is a real nightmare, you can't do it in 3 weeks but 3 years!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 paullaugh

hi

I have lived in spain for 2 years i live in the alicante area. My advice is if your going to do it. give it everything cause its not easy at the start.
    Stay away from expat areas if your serious about learning the language.

I have been to madrid and granada both are great places but granada is more of a touristy place. Madrid is just amazing you need to find a good base to live and if you already have a job the battle is nearly won.

Regarding the dole you cant claim it here in spain even if your a eu citizen its totally different to Ireland. You only get dole here if you have worked and have been made unemployed and you still will only get the dole for a short time anyway.

Anyway i hope it all works out for you

Advertisement