Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Procedures/cost of bringing dog from usa-ireland

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Reindeer

ISDW wrote: »
    seems like poor reindeer is having a journey from hell, if the dog had gone as cargo, no problem, but as he wouldn't allow it to - or couldn't afford to, not sure which, he and the dog had to fly to Amsterdam and then get a ferry, but obviously didn't have the proper worming regime in place to enter the uk from holland, as he hadn't been expecting to have to do that, so had to pay for a taxi to vets, and the treatment. Has got a ferry from holland to Harwich in England, but is now stuck there, trying to get to Holyhead to get a ferry to ireland.

If anyone has any relatives or friends in that part of england that could help him out, with somewhere to stay or with transportation to ireland, please pm me and I will pass it onto the people on fb that are trying to sort all of this out. he is coming to ireland to volunteer for a year at a rescue.

You can expect my take on this long hand after I arrive in Ireland and settle down. Right now I am headed to the Holyhead ferry. Yesterday was particularly brutal. More laters.

Reindeer wrote: »
    You can expect my take on this long hand after I arrive in Ireland and settle down. Right now I am headed to the Holyhead ferry. Yesterday was particularly brutal. More laters.

I've posted the story of my last journey into my old Dublin Blog:

http://wherewereuwhenuforgotwhereuwere.blogspot.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭micheleabc

I found this link:http://www.pettravel.com/cruiseship_ferry/QueenMary2.cfm
    An alternative could be to travel on board a cruise ship together with your dog. The Queen Mary 2 does the following transatlantic routes allowing pets on board:

New York, United States to Southampton, England
    Southampton, England to New York, United States

The length of the passage will be around a week. The documents will all have to be sorted as Reindeer explained. The dog still get to spend the week in a crate on board but he/she will be walked and the owner is allowed to visit. It seems (on papers at least) that this kind of journey should be less stressful then the one by plane (although longer).

It's an alternative for someone who doesn't mind to spend a week on a ship.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 jessoneal34

Reindeer,

How did the flight go? Which airline did you take again? Did you make it to Ieland safely? I hope so and with few problems. I am still considering my trip out as I would be attending school out there so I would need to bring my pup being that it will be a year+. Ugh - I just have no clue what to do. I want to study abroad and would love to in Ireland but I am not so sure it is the most realistic plan of action now that I am doing more research since I have a dog now.

Reindeer,

How did the flight go? Which airline did you take again? Did you make it to Ieland safely? I hope so and with few problems. I am still considering my trip out as I would be attending school out there so I would need to bring my pup being that it will be a year+. Ugh - I just have no clue what to do. I want to study abroad and would love to in Ireland but I am not so sure it is the most realistic plan of action now that I am doing more research since I have a dog now.

My trip went like this: http://wherewereuwhenuforgotwhereuwere.blogspot.ie/

If you have an extra $2k or so to spend, taking your animal shouldn't be a problem. If it is a small pet that will fit in a small carry crate under the seat in front of you, it will cost considerably less. Still, you will have to pay the 230E vet and cargo fees on the return trip as Dublin Airport only allows pets to fly as cargo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 jdalll

Reindeer,
    Thanks for all your posts! It has saved me a lot of research. I have 2 small dogs and looking to move to Ireland around May. I would prefer to keep them on board with me, if possible. Your posts indicate that I may be able to do that somehow? Do you have to go to Amsterdam for this accommodation?

This is what I understand so far:
    -Have to get pet passport
    -Have to get rabies test 6 months prior to travel (is this sill true?)
    -Have to get vet checks upon landing
    -All airlines and destinations differ so looking to you for your experience and advice!!

Thanks a mil, cant wait to move!! :)

Advertisement