Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IKEA and M50 Traffic

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Plenty of AA yellow signs about giving directions. Just says "ikea traffic" on them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,262 ✭✭✭sk8board

came down M1 and M50 this morning as usual, and can safely say I've never did it as quick. no-one about, esp at ballymun. Not a single car waiting at the lights at the top of the off-ramp southbound.

EDIT: by the way they've definitely lengthened the Ballymun off-ramps well on to the M50

that said, it was 7.15.

Heard newstalk as I was passing by saying there was people waiting outside, but they passed a remark about the number of ladies in their 'pajamas sister sister' (??). I guess he was referring to the locals walking over to queue in their PJ's.

will be interesting to guage the public's reaction throughout the day, as a measure of peoples appetite for a new furniture store

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭daisyplant

Anyone know what the situation over there is now?

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭stevedublin

went by at 9.20am, IKEA was open, some cars going in, but no more traffic than usual, just an extra set of traffic lights on the Ballymun road at IKEA entrance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

Just had a look at the trafic cam at J4 Ballymun, traffic looks light.
    Dropping off the wife there on my way to airport, I'll post later but it will probably be a damp squib, like IKEA Belfast or Dundrum S/C

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,872 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I think the traffic is building somewhat now, but it's hard to see with the poor angle of the camera.

Site0Camera96.jpg
    ^ that image should update when you refresh.

[err - just noticed that the image on the DCC website is 40 mins old... what's the story?]

• Registered Users Posts: 6,872 ✭✭✭10-10-20

OK, I'm going to hazard a guess here that DCC have disabled this camera for one reason or another.
    All of the other cameras are updating except for both in Ballymun.

Last update is 10:09.
    http://www.dublincity.ie/dublintraffic/#M50

Did Ikea not put enough 20cents into the DCC meter...?

10-10-20 wrote: »
    Did Ikea not put enough 20cents into the DCC meter...?

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭jkgvfg

Maybe they put enough money in the meter to have it turned off in case things get ugly.

I'm not one to don a tin-foil hat, but it is a bit of a coincidence that the only camera not working is the ballymun one, at the same hour the store was to open!

that said, it might just be the DAA controllers zooming in and being nosey, and they stopped the feed so no-one could see them messing about

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Enii

Anyone in the area able to give a live report...........am considering heading over there now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dereko1969

heard on radio an hour ago that the car park was full and they were advising customers to use public transport 13/13a (i think)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭upthedub

Enii wrote: »
    Anyone in the area able to give a live report...........am considering heading over there now!
    Could you not wait until tomorrow or another day...???:rolleyes:

BIG RUSH quick

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭stevedublin

the cam in 10-10-20s post seems to be pointing to the entrance to IKEA on the Ballymun road now. A little traffic build up coming out of IKEA at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭wayne2107

Im living on Santry Ave and can say so far (touching wood) everything seems to be moving normal. Santry Ave, and Ballymun are ok, the traffic is moving well. If your coming from the Coolock end come in via the park (Crown Plaza), should save you a few mins. Que times outside Ikea as of an hour ago was about 15 mins, and inside the store you have enough space while browsing. The restaurant however is a different story, nearly 45 mins in the que by the time i sat back down my food was cold. Thats the only bad thing I have to say. I didnt buy anything but the ques on the tills looked like you would be there for about an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭jd

wayne2107 wrote: »
    If your coming from the Coolock end come in via the park (Crown Plaza), should save you a few mins.

Thats a private road

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

wayne2107 wrote: »
    The restaurant however is a different story, nearly 45 mins in the que by the time i sat back down my food was cold. Thats the only bad thing I have to say. I didnt buy anything but the ques on the tills looked like you would be there for about an hour.

Are people going for the food, or does it act as a staff canteen or what

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

On the radio yesterday they said that some people started queuing at 5:30am today with a small amount of people queuing since yesterday.

All that excitement over flatback furniture.

What has the world come to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭wayne2107

Thats a private road

And? Your not breaking any law driving on a private road. How do you get to spar, homebase etc etc??

Food is for customers, staff have their discounts. Food is not bad. I ate mine cold though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

What ever you do don't even think of parking on the road that runs up beside Musgraves up to Finglas Castle. I went there to pick up the mother, wife and daughter and the locals blocked the road, threathened to drag me out of my car and inflict bodily injury on me and my car. I don't let intimidation get to me and I continued to assert that it is a public road, car taxed etc. The arrival of my mother diffused the situation somewhat but I wouldn't leave my car anywhere near by.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Tarabuses

(
    faceman wrote: »
    On the radio yesterday they said that some people started queuing at 5:30am today with a small amount of people queuing since yesterday.

All that excitement over flatback furniture.

What has the world come to.

Yes, you'd think the place was only going to be open for a day not the next few years:rolleyes:

those people who were queuing were the local toothless women in their PJs. (I kid you not, take a look at the 9 o clock news. They were interviewed while cooking their sausages early this morning on a burner!)
    the lady in question said she wasn't too happy when she heard there were no opening day special offers.

anyhoo, back OT; I passed back this evening at 5.30, and as with this morning, it was one of the quickest trips ever, no more than 10mins from blanch to M1.
    there wasn't a single car on the off-ramp for ballymun northbound.

thankfully it looks like it won't affect the traffic all that much at all.

on the plus side, they've extended the northbound slip road from the M50 on to the M1 by about 200 yards up the M50, so its not as tight as it was. Roll on the three lanes all the way from blanch

Advertisement