Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Incoming Fifth Years...

Options
  • 20-07-2009 4:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭

...here is your prescribed material for English.

SINGLE TEXT

For your exam, you are required to learn one single text inside out and most teachers will pick the Shakespearean text for the simple fact that if you don't do it in this one, you'll have to do it in your Comparative Study and this will require you to learn another Shakespearean text as well as the one prescribed in the Single Text, and learning one of them is tricky enough as it is (although I quite like reading them).

TEXTS
    BINCHY, Maeve Circle of Friends (O)
    BRONTË, Emily Wuthering Heights (H/O)
    IBSEN, Henrik A Doll’s House (H/O)
    JOHNSTON, Jennifer How Many Miles to Babylon? (O)
    MONK KIDD, Sue The Secret Life of Bees (O)
    MURPHY, Tom A Whistle in the Dark (H/O)
    O’CASEY, Sean The Plough and the Stars (O)
    SHAKESPEARE, William Hamlet (H/O)
    STEINBECK, John The Grapes of Wrath (H/O)

Most of you will be doing Hamlet. That's a nice play. Think it's one of the easier ones and you could be able to predict potential questions. An easier play than Macbeth and King Lear (yes, I have read both) imo.

COMPARATIVE STUDY

You are required to do three texts for your comparative. There's a number of texts and films that are prescribed and your teacher will pick three of them. You're only allowed to pick one film at most as part of your comparative study, although some teachers don't do a film at all.

The modes were the most complicated part (for me, anyway) to get my head around at the beginning. You are prescribed 3 modes of comparison and 2 will appear in your paper. These are the headings by which you will compare your three chosen texts. However, if your teacher is covering the Sha

MODES (Higher Level)
    Theme or Issue
    Cultural Context
    General Vision and Viewpoint

Nice and easy ones there. Can't be complaining too much with them. Theme or Issue is self explanatory. Just pick any theme or issue that's common to all three texts and compare them. Cultural Context is the outlook on society of the texts and has a number of sub-headings which you can use in your answer (The setting, Religion, Class divisions, violence, poverty etc. etc.). General Vision and Viewpoint is one I never really understood properly, so what I'm about to say is completely open to correction. From my understanding it's where you explore the themes/relationships and the society of the text and conclude whether the author/director is showing the world of the text in an optimistic or pessimistic light.

MODES (Ordinary Level)
    Relationships
    Theme
    Social Setting

Again, can't complain too much about them. Did Higher Level myself so they'd be a walk in the park for me personally. For an ordinary level student I'd class them as easy as well. All self-explanatory as well.

TEXTS
    AUSTEN, Jane Emma
    BINCHY, Maeve Circle of Friends
    BOWEN, Elizabeth The Last September
    BRONTË, Emily Wuthering Heights
    CHANG, Jung Wild Swans
    COETZEE, J.M. Boyhood: Scenes from Provincial Life
    DICKENS, Charles Hard Times
    FRIEL, Brian Dancing at Lughnasa
    GAGE, Eleni North of Ithaka
    HARRIS, Robert Pompeii
    HOSSEINI, Khaled The Kite Runner
    IBSEN, Henrik A Doll’s House

ISHIGURO, Kazu Never Let Me Go
    JOHNSTON, Jennifer How Many Miles to Babylon?
    KEANE, John B Sive
    MacLAVERTY, Bernard Lamb
    MARTEL, Yann Life of Pi
    McDONAGH, Martin The Lonesome West
    McEWAN, Ian Atonement
    MONK KIDD, Sue The Secret Life of Bees
    MOORE, Brian Lies of Silence
    MURPHY, Tom A Whistle in the Dark
    NGOZI ADICHIE, Chimamanda Purple Hibiscus
    O’CASEY, Sean The Plough and the Stars
    PETTERSON, Per Out Stealing Horses
    PICOULT, Jodi My Sister’s Keeper
    ROSOFF, Meg How I Live Now
    SHAKESPEARE, William Hamlet
    SHAKESPEARE, William The Tempest
    SHIELDS, Carol Unless
    SOPHOCLES Oedipus the King
    STEINBECK, John The Grapes of Wrath
    TREVOR, William The Story of Lucy Gault

Only one of my texts is in there (Plough and the Stars) but I've read some of them and while the stories themselves aren't the best and extremely predictable, there's still plenty to write about under the modes of comparison.

FILMS
    BRANAGH, Kenneth (Dir.) As You Like It (Film)
    CURTIZ, Michael (Dir.) Casablanca (Film)
    DALDRY, Stephen (Dir.) Billy Elliot (Film)
    MEIRELLES, Fernando (Dir.) The Constant Gardener (Film)
    O’DONNELL, Damien (Dir.) Inside I’m Dancing (Film)
    RADFORD, Michael (Dir.) Il Postino (Film)

I've seen all of them and I can easily say that is a nice set of films to choose from. Would have liked to have seen Billy Elliot as part of my Comparative Study as it would have fit in well with the Father-Son relationship theme I covered as part of Theme or Issue.

POETRY

In Higher Level, you are given eight prescribed poets with 10 poems from each poet. In the Higher Level paper, four of the eight poets will appear and you are only required to answer the question on one of them. However, you are recommended to learn at least 6 poems per poet to use and quote from in your answer. I only used 4 in my answer which most seem to do.

HIGHER LEVEL PRESCRIBED POETS
    Eaven Boland
    Emily Dickenson
    Robert Frost
    Gerard Manley Hopkins
    Patrick Kavanagh
    Adrienne Rich
    William Wordsworth
    William Butler Yeats

Boland, Kavanagh, Rich and Yeats are on the 2010 course as well whereas Dickenson, Frost, Hopkins and Wordsworth replace TS Elliot, John Keats, Michael Longley and Derek Walcott (:eek:! No more Walcott :(). 4 changes is a bit harsh imo. I know the 2010'ers have that as well. I'm a 2009'er and we only had two different poets from the year before which has me thinking that I was one of the lucky ones.

Anyway, no idea why I posted this considering it doesn't really effect me tbh. I found it and I thought I'd tell people :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

Thanks for that.

I just realised how f*cked I am if I have the teacher I'm most likely to have next year :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 P55

andyman wrote: »
    ...here is your prescribed material for English.

SINGLE TEXT

For your exam, you are required to learn one single text inside out and most teachers will pick the Shakespearean text for the simple fact that if you don't do it in this one, you'll have to do it in your Comparative Study and this will require you to learn another Shakespearean text as well as the one prescribed in the Single Text, and learning one of them is tricky enough as it is (although I quite like reading them).

this is not true.
    you only need to study one shakespearean text, and it can be either as a single text or a comparative text.

from education.ie
    Shakespearean Drama
    At Higher Level a play by Shakespeare must be one of the texts chosen. This can be studied on its own or as an element in a comparative study.
    At Ordinary Level the study of a play by Shakespeare is optional.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭andyman

Ah ok. Cheers for that. Was going by what my teacher was saying. Says a lot about him although his notes were pretty epic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭JW91

I know you're all going to be going crazy because ye are starting the leaving cert cycle but in fairness the 5th year genuinely isn't something to get too stressed out about.

Leaving Cert isn't overly stressful either although some people almost have a breakdown over the whole thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Purple Gorilla

Thanks for that :) Really helped!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Aoifums wrote: »
    Thanks for that.

I just realised how f*cked I am if I have the teacher I'm most likely to have next year :eek:

If you feel you're going to have a "bad" teacher in English then you should do some extra work for yourself.

English seems like a lot and ok maybe it is but it's very doable and I'd advise every 5th year to really familarise themselves with the course straight off when going back to school. It'll really ease a lot of confusion that some people have with it.

Once you get your head around the exam structure and what you need to learn then it'll be a lot easier on yourself.

5th year is generally the time to study all of your poetry etc. 6th year is brushing up on what you've learned in 5th year and then going hell for leather on the exam papers.

Well this is my experience anyway. Plus a load of creative writing exercises.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

I pity anyone who has to read Circle of Friends *shudder* thank god i got to change it in 6th year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

So overall, do us new 5th years got a good english course?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

I think judging by the comments of the OP it's pretty even. The LC English course seems very much rote learning...whereas the JC was I'd say 80% imagination required. I'm not sure which I'd like better but I suppose I'll find out. So, we're the 2011er's now, are we? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Purple Hibiscus up again this year, unlucky yous.:D

• Advertisement

Purple Hibiscus up again this year, unlucky yous.:D

if i even knew something about purple hibiscus was about, I would soooo be dreading your post.:P

yes jumpguy, we are the 2011er's :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

if i even knew something about purple hibiscus was about, I would soooo be dreading your post.:P

yes jumpguy, we are the 2011er's :D

If Purple Hib is on your booklist, buy a brick and throw it at your teachers head on the first day.:D

If Purple Hib is on your booklist, buy a brick and throw it at your teachers head on the first day.:D

on the booklist, it just said that when we are put into classes in september, we wil then receive english booklists.
    I bet they are trying to keep us all calm and let us enjoy the rest of the hols without scaring us about that purple hibiscus.
    Sounds like a lovely thing to study actually. Like the sound of it. Puurplle hibisscusss :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

It seems pretty decent, dont expect miracles though........:pac:

You have a nice Shakespearean play and, with the right texts, comparative study. 4 new poets will make it harder to predict which will come up though. We got a very easy ride with the poetry this year.

And you've no Derek Walcott, which means you automatically miss out. Walcott made 2009 what it is :p

WAALLLLLLLLLLLLLCOTT!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Also, Purple Hibiscus sounds like some evil potion or something.

jumpguy wrote: »
    WAALLLLLLLLLLLLLCOTT!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Also, Purple Hibiscus sounds like some evil potion or something.

Walcott??:confused:

I dunno apparently it's terrible we don't have this Walcott fellow.

Walcott's poetry is relatively simple/easily understood while still actually retaining some sort of meaning. (A lot of the poetry course can be a little convoluted)

While I took a really retardly stupid risk (That worked out!)and only covered Lizzie Bishop, if I was to go back and study more, I probably would have studied Walcott (Maybe Keats).

Not to mention that during Louth-gate a lot of students were worried that Derek Walcott wouldn't come up on the new Paper II.

His popularity with students and adults soared during the Leaving because everyone, all of a sudden, knew who he was. He's a bit of a ledge as well :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

He's also a bit of a ladies man.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

Well, he was more of a Chris Browne type of a ladies man considering he used to beat the crap out of his wives (note the plural).

I also only studied one poet, Elizabeth bishop, and got away with it!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

You have Wuthering Heights on your course, you're sorted :)

Delta Kilo wrote: »
    Well, he was more of a Chris Browne type of a ladies man considering he used to beat the crap out of his wives (note the plural).

I also only studied one poet, Elizabeth bishop, and got away with it!:D
    I thought 4 came up on the paper. :confused:

Is it 4 to do 1?

Is it 4 to do 1?

Eight poets come up on the paper (stupid mistake). You're right, only four poets come up on the paper, while there are eight on the course, meaning if you study five you're guaranteed that at least one of your studied poets will come up. Most people only study three or four, though. I myself only studied one, Keats, and he came up on both the original and the contingency paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

I thought 4 came up on the paper. :confused:

Is it 4 to do 1?

There are 8 poets on the course so most schools study 5 poets, that way you are guaranteed that one of your poets will come up. I, however, only focused on one poet, Bishop. It was a gamble that paid off but if it hadn't I would have been up the creek without a paddle.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I myself only studied one, Keats, and he came up on both the original and the contingency paper.
    Delta Kilo wrote: »
    I, however, only focused on one poet, Bishop. It was a gamble that paid off but if it hadn't I would have been up the creek without a paddle.
    No disrespect, folks, but that's incredibly risky.

That creek has a name, and with only one poet you have to be pretty lucky to get that paddle ...

I defo wouldn't do one poet. Don't have the balls to take that kinda risk I'm afraid. Imagine if it didn't come up? I'd probably get sick all over the paper. I'll end up doing 5 but heavily focus on like the 2 or 3 most likely to come up. Then again, I'll have to wait and see what the craic is myself.

That creek has a name, and with only one poet you have to be pretty lucky to get that paddle ...

You're right, it's stupid how risky it is... But, it paid off. I did the same thing last year (I repeated this year) by only studying Larkin, and he came up too. I'm just lucky, I guess.

I wouldn't recommend anyone to do it, though.
    I defo wouldn't do one poet. Don't have the balls to take that kinda risk I'm afraid. Imagine if it didn't come up? I'd probably get sick all over the paper. I'll end up doing 5 but heavily focus on like the 2 or 3 most likely to come up. Then again, I'll have to wait and see what the craic is myself.

If you do three of the favourites you'll be fine.

And yes, it would be a horrible feeling if the poet didn't come up, but the feeling is so very good when your one poet comes up. (I had a spare subject, anyway, so it didn't make a huge difference).

• Advertisement

I completely agree, it's absolutely retarded, but considering the amount of marks going for the poetry section and the fact that I had no intention on counting English, it just didnt seem worthwhile bothering with any of the other poets.

Advertisement