Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Predator 3 / Predators (epic merge)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭cremeegg

I heard they were making Gladiators V Predators. Where the predators come down in ancient rome and dual it out. Can anyone unconfirm this for me.

Thanks
    Creme EGG

cremeegg wrote: »
    I heard they were making Gladiators V Predators. Where the predators come down in ancient rome and dual it out. Can anyone unconfirm this for me.

Thanks
    Creme EGG

HEHE , i cant really see a movie about that. I heard of a movie coming out about the Knights Templar Vs Vampires .

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    Heh heh, brave man going tomorrow. :P

Got my silver blades coated in garlic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Raekwon wrote: »
    Rotten Tomato reviewers seem alittle more enthusiastic:
    83% - 10 Fresh 2 Rotten

I personally cannot wait to see this!
    Early RT scores tend to be high because fan-boys tend watch the movies first. That said, the score is still high after more than thirty reviews, and there's no guarantee it will fall further.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭not_xanthor

As a semi-fan-boy........ i'd call it decent. Occasional pacing problems in the first third, but after that the pace picks up and stays there. Pretty heavy on the fanwankery, but some not so obvious twists.

80% is a tad generous...... maybe 60/65%?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

There's a few flaws but overall it's fairly good. I enjoyed it anyways. My main gripe was with the pace of it. Started off a bit too fast and we never really got to know any of the characters. It slowed down a bit too much just over half way through and then seemed a bit rushed near the end. Hope there's a better directors cut available when the dvd rolls around. Either way it's a decent effort. Some original ideas mixed in with a lot of homage to the original.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Thought it was quite good as a film on its own,but there are way too many knocks at the first film,way way too many.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭FUNKY LOVER

shocking.bad story acting characters.just terrible.how hard can it be to make a decent predator movie again.

Mr. K wrote: »
    Empire's review is up, first I've seen:

http://www.empireonline.com/reviews/review.asp?FID=136706
    3/5

Reading that review, I kept thinking that if someone in the production had sent Empire a free mug we would be reading an estatic, 4 star minimum review of the action film which redefines Summer sequels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Sleazus

I think I'm in the minority - I really enjoyed it.

It's not excellent and it has some serious problems (mostly towards the end, I thought, I loved the start and the set-up), but it gets the job done. I think is the best film of the summer so far (now that's a modest accomplishment - I'm waiting until next week to get really excited about a film).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I enjoyed it as well. Better than Predator 2.

If the film had come out in the 80s, we'd all be spooging over it.

THat was a good movie . Its definitely second best predator movie out there.

Certain scene's were very similar to the first movie. The atmosphere was recreated also .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Not as good as Predator but better than Predator 2. That's all I was expecting really. And Brody really buffed up for the role!

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Vim Fuego

It just didn't make any impression on me at all.

I think the problem with Predator sequels is that the expanded mythology is actually just a bit crap. As soon as it was about
    different races of predators and pred-dogs
    , I completely turned off.

It also annoys me that a pan-galactic race would be arsed with hunting and primitive rituals to be honest.

Predator will exist as an island in my mind

Vim Fuego wrote: »
    It also annoys me that a pan-galactic race would be arsed with hunting and primitive rituals to be honest.

Why does that annoy you ?

Well, annoy is too strong a word. I just think they're a bit too primitive socially (tribal, ritualistic) to be so technologically advanced as a race. I'm thinking too much about it I know, but I can't imagine what sort of back story justifies it.

I've been reading a load of Iain M Banks recently so blame it on that. Damn you Banks, you may have ruined action sci-fi for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Looking back at it now as well, I wasnt a fan of how the Predators held themselves on the film, as in how they stood up with their chest out and all this blown out of proportion movements, when Kevin Peter Hall did the first 2 he had the movements down to a T and it gave the predators that extra thing that they have, it was missing lots in this.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Well America is the most powerful and technical advanced nation on Earth & yet they love hunting for sport & generally running around forests playing soldier with real guns. It doesn't seem that odd for the Predators to be spacefaring & yet mad for their huntin'

pixelburp wrote: »
    Well America is the most powerful and technical advanced nation on Earth & yet they love hunting for sport & generally running around forests playing soldier with real guns. It doesn't seem that odd for the Predators to be spacefaring & yet mad for their huntin'

Yep, that's fair enough. Still though, feels a bit patchy compared to their Alien cousins, their whole system is so well designed.

From looking at the Predator wiki page, the expanded Predator universe has been designed by committee over many years: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Predator_%28alien%29

Back to Predators, I didn't even really think there was any particularly memorable action moments or slick Predator-killings even.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

I saw it last night, it was okay. The characters weren't interesting, the script was a bit dull (lacking one-liners) and the Predators weren't that cool.

Noland seemed like a character with potential, but
    he wasn't around long enough!

I don't think they're gonna top the first Predator. I'd still put Predators a little higher than the second one and way higher than the AvP films!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭fluke

I enjoyed it! Way better than Predator 2 and the one AVP film that I saw (I didn't bother with Requiem). It's a leave your brain outside the cinema movie but I did really enjoy it for it's old schoolness!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

My review is in the review section.

Just some fanboy comments.

Its better then the two avp films, and it has easily a better story then predator 2, but I liked the expanded arsenel in predator 2 and the some added touches to the mythology, so I always gave pred 2 a pass for that. [pred 2 introduced the spear, disscus and the net, all gruesomely fun toys and it confirmed and expanded the hunting code which I know some people hate].

This one's addition to the mythology and new toys is rather dull, the robot eagle was o...k I guess but nothing else stood out as interesting (but as I expressed in my review I have a serious issue with the directing foremost in the film). The mythology additions floundered mostly from poor execution, the hunting grounds idea is good and seems to work well enough but the two races notion was poorly capatilized on and uninteresting in relation to the immediate plot.

My big gripe is as someone mentioned already how the predator's hold themselves, they move like a wrestlers, which was a notion that AVP started and was a major problem. Surprisingly AVP2 despite being easily the worse film of both franchises corrected this problem and had the predator moving correctly again, so I am surprised that it went back to wrestler predators.

Also the masks (another avp addition) having different shapes and add ons just look ridiculous in this one.

But I have to admit I liked the story and the characters, and actually playing against hollywood cliches most of the time worked well for the most part.

edit: and to put in context how badly neutered the preds were this film. There were 9 humans and 3 preds and
    2 humans survive, that means between the 3 of them they barely get over a 2 kill streak each, statisticly they are the worse predators in any film, including AVP.

predator kill streak: 6 on screen

Predator 2 kill streak 10+ (3 groups plus 3 individual kills)

AVP kill streak 3 predators kill at least 8 humans and 5 or so aliens on screen plus a queen

*though 2 of them are complete pussies and get taken down by the same alien*

AVP 2 kill streak: Awful film but damn does the predator clean up, he pretty much kills everything he comes across.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Just after watching the original film for the upteenth time.
    Can anyone make out what the Predator replies to Arnies question "What the hell are you?"

Its something like "I am a .................":confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Just after watching the original film for the upteenth time.
    Can anyone make out what the Predator replies to Arnies question "What the hell are you?"

Its something like "I am a .................":confused:
    It repeats the question back to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

It was ok, miles better than the woeful AVP movies, who'd have thought Adrien Brody could believably kick a predators ass? Did love the music on the end credits though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Just back from the cinema and I liked it. If that came out 20 years ago as a sequel to the 1st Predator, I'd have ranked as a sequel that surpassed the original. (I saw the original predator when I was not even 10 so my cynicism and ability to dissect a film werent like they are now :pac:). Now its just a decent rehash of the original if I want to put the boot in but if you are a fan of Predator films and dont try to critique it for the Oscars, its well worth the watch imo

One or 2 things that bugged me :)
    Royce seems to twig things waaay too quickly
    Noland was on that planet long enough to go abit crazy and had to scavenge for everything, how come he was so fat? Laurence Fishburne was a total miscast considering that he didnt loose weight because to survive that long would require someone in peak physical condition and I dont think there would have been time for muscle to turn to fat if built like a brick **** house
    Brody stole Christian Bale's Batman voice
    Royce didnt have a clue how to fly an alien spaceship yet was able to set it to autopilot and get off the ship in time
    Isabelle could take down a 'dog' with one well place shot but Nikolai had to empty half a belt of bullets from a minigun??

Thats all the criticisms that spring to mind at the moment!

End Credits starting with Long Tall Sally
    made me smile and think this film would definately have fitted nicely between the first two films if done back in the day, definitely could have done alot of the SFX anyways.

Please dont look at the spoilers if you havent seen the film, it will ruin the film for you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

Dempsey wrote: »
    Brody stole Christian Bale's Batman voice

haha! i thought the same thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,394 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Dempsey wrote: »
    J
    Royce didnt have a clue how to fly an alien spaceship yet was able to set it to autopilot and get off the ship in time

Didn't the Predator set the destination? Hence Royce rushing to make the ship before it took off.

I enjoyed it, as has been said it does suffer from pacing problems but is enjoyable. Like everyone else a few bits annoyed me.
    They cut one scene from the movie that was actually one of the best from the trailer (the one with all the laser sights focusing on Royce). I am guessing when he kills the Black Predator another group show up to reclaim the body of the Predator he freed. Guess its an alternate ending for the dvd.
    Why would Edwin want to stay on a planet where he will be constantly hunted?
    Would have been nice to see more of the other species brought to the planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Didn't the Predator set the destination? Hence Royce rushing to make the ship before it took off.

I enjoyed it, as has been said it does suffer from pacing problems but is enjoyable. Like everyone else a few bits annoyed me.
    They cut one scene from the movie that was actually one of the best from the trailer (the one with all the laser sights focusing on Royce). I am guessing when he kills the Black Predator another group show up to reclaim the body of the Predator he freed. Guess its an alternate ending for the dvd.

I dont think so cause
    it matches exactly the shot where one pred finds him and a single sight locks onto him after the russian kills a pred with a claymore, I think its a scene was readjusted just for the trailer to give it a bit of oomph, you can see its the exact same framing and the background atmosphere

trailer here to confirm: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igKKWJw88Kk
    Why would Edwin want to stay on a planet where he will be constantly hunted?

Cause
    he felt normal in a planet full of monsters, rather then being a psychopath pretending to be normal all the time...just take him being crazy meaning he's not thinking logically
    Would have been nice to see more of the other species brought to the planet.

hush thats the sort of talk that led to AVP

Personnally I didnt think there was as much of a pacing issue as there was directorial problems, if the oomph set pieces delivered as they should have the pacing would have felt smoother.

a niggle that the trailer reminded me off
    the trailer has this lovely space to jungle dissolve, yet the film has such a hard instant opening, personnally I would have perferred the dissolve at the start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,394 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    I dont think so cause
    it matches exactly the shot where one pred finds him and a single sight locks onto him after the russian kills a pred with a claymore, I think its a scene was readjusted just for the trailer to give it a bit of oomph, you can see its the exact same framing and the background atmosphere

trailer here to confirm: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igKKWJw88Kk

Now thats just not on.:D

Advertisement